Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buttons not working on Sony car radio

• 16-04-2013 8:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, so mods move it if you need to.

I have a Sony car radio in my car (Model no: CDX-GT540UI)

(Pic: http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_818317_langId_-1_categoryId_212600)

About four weeks ago, the buttons stopped working.

The volume control works and if I insert a CD, it will play but I can't fast forward/rewind/skip etc, because the buttons don't work.

The music will play though.
    I also can't eject the CD.

The function button (to switch from Tuner/CD/Aux) works but all the other buttons don't.

I called Sony support today but was left on hold for ten minutes before the guy came back and directed me to a British website for repairs, which I'm not interested in as it'll probably cost me the same amount to post/pay for repairs as it would to buy a new one.

I know there's a place in KCR that repairs car radios but they quoted €70 and for that, I could get a new one in Halford's, which I'll get if I have to.

But is this a simple issue I can fix myself?

The manual's troubleshooting guide offered no help nor did it list my problem as a potential issue.

If anyone out there knows what's the issue or how I can fix it, I'd be very grateful..thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

eject the faceplate off the radio and give the gold coloured contacts on the back of it a good cleaning, then refit it to the radio , tbh for the sake of less than 70 quid, if that doesn't work id replace the whole stereo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,431 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Two things to try
    • Disconnect your battery or disconnect the radio from the car for 5 minutes or so.
    • Take the faceplate off and see if there's a stuck button which is causing it to malfunction, clean with a vacumm or screen wipes.
    It's such a relatively low value that a repair option will cost more than it's worth, possibly look at Ebay for someone selling a faceplate as another option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Thanks so much for your replies.

I'm going to try both solutions tomorrow and will let you know, but you're right, it's relatively cheap to just replace it.
    I just wondered if it was something simple I could fix myself, but if not, I'll get a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 spongy

The same is just after happening to my stereo. Any luck trying to fix it yourself??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

No and I haven't bought a new system yet, even though it's been months I've had this issue. (Y'know yourself, other things take priority, so it'll have to wait.)

I can get the CD out of the system by pressing the button that lifts off the fascia, then pushing it back on, then pressing Eject.
    I can't use Forward/Rewind buttons etc.

I was going to buy another one of these systems because I was familiar with them, but if this is a problem that's gonna happen again, I think I'll go with a different brand.
    Halford's have reasonably priced systems at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Watase

I realize that this thread is months old, but I'm hoping that if others come here as I have, that it may help them in the future.

In some cases this unit has been getting stuck in Demo mode. I've seen a few come into the repair shop where I work.

Try to turn demo off, and it may start working again properly for you. (As written in the manual).

1. Press and hold the select button (The volume control, make sure that it 'clicks' in when you press it) until the menu comes up.
    2. Release the select button, and press repeatedly until you get to the "Demo" option.
    3. Rotate the volume control one 'notch' so that it shows "Demo off"
    4. Press and hold the select button until the menu closes.

Chances are the unit will work properly again, as has been our experience. Hopefully it works for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 eoinie

Watase
    This thread is now years old but what you suggested worked perfectly for me. I turned off Demo mode and BINGO - everything good. Hope this helps more than me. Thanks a lot.

Advertisement