Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnancy and new job

Options
  • 02-04-2014 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have just discovered I'm pregnant, having started my new job just over 2 months ago. I would have been about 2 weeks pregnant when I started, so had no idea and was not trying for a baby.
    The new job is a permanent contract, with a 6 month probationary review which should hopefully lead to permanancy.
    I also have a 3 month interim review.
    I have been having weekly review meetings with my line manager, and everything is going very well, they are pleased with my performance etc and I have had no issues to date.
    I am very aware that they can't sack me because of the pregnancy - and I intend to tell them about it just after the 3 month review.
    But what if they find another excuse not to make me permanent?
    I might add that the company are very family friendly - there are alot of women on maternity leave, or ready to go on maternity leave - there are also flexible hours and parental leave option etc.
    I would really appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Not sure, tbh. Have you let anyone know after the scan? Maybe ask the ladies at the Pregnancy forum on what they did?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I havent told anyone in the job yet - I've looked in the pregnancy forum and there isn't the same issue as this there right now - I doubt anyone would be in this position. I was just hoping some employer or someone who had been through this might have info.
    I don't want to wait until after the 6 months - I feel I would forever be the person who tried to pull the wool over their eyes!
    I also have a few docs apts I need to get to in the meantime - they are very accomodating once you let them know you're pregant....but just not sure what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

I have just discovered I'm pregnant, having started my new job just over 2 months ago. I would have been about 2 weeks pregnant when I started, so had no idea and was not trying for a baby.
    The new job is a permanent contract, with a 6 month probationary review which should hopefully lead to permanancy.
    I also have a 3 month interim review.
    I have been having weekly review meetings with my line manager, and everything is going very well, they are pleased with my performance etc and I have had no issues to date.
    I am very aware that they can't sack me because of the pregnancy - and I intend to tell them about it just after the 3 month review.
    But what if they find another excuse not to make me permanent?
    I might add that the company are very family friendly - there are alot of women on maternity leave, or ready to go on maternity leave - there are also flexible hours and parental leave option etc.
    I would really appreciate any advice.

Hi there i was in this same suitation with my first i had started a job in may and in sept found out i was pregnant.
    At the time too i had a 3 month review 6 month probationary r/v and at one year a r/v

You should have no problem if your employer is family friendly.

Your proformance obviously is being assessed and as you said they cant get rid of you.

You will be there a year and then your baby will be due is that right ?

My job was a permanent contract
    I started on 18 may and my due date was 30 may the yr after.
    Tell them if you feel it would be better for u with appointments etc.

Dont worry it will work out is it your first. ??
    I was bricking it telling them that time but it worked out for the best

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Kaylami

I started a new job in December and was 6 weeks pregnant didn't realise until the morning sickness kicked in 2 weeks later.

Not a family friendly work environment at all!

I told my employer straight away and they have been great. Had my reviews and they only focused on my work.

So try not to worry too much and enjoy your pregnancy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭joeguevara

You should tell your employer pretty much immediately. They will have to do a risk assessment to satisfy themselves that any work that you do (e.g. heavy lifting, working late, working alone) does not put you or your baby at risk.

They cannot discriminate you because of your family status so don't worry about that. As your performance reviews are going well, they will not be able to turn around now and retrospectively say that you are not up to the job, so it will only focus on your job performance.

Good luck and congratulations on your news. A permanent job and a baby. Very lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

They cannot discriminate you because of your family status so don't worry about that. As your performance reviews are going well, they will not be able to turn around now and retrospectively say that you are not up to the job, so it will only focus on your job performance

I thought within your probationary period that you could be fired without a reason ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭joeguevara

amen wrote: »
    I thought within your probationary period that you could be fired without a reason ?

European court of justice as well as case law says you can never fired for being pregnant even within your probationary period. If you are fired and pregnant and bring a case against your company, the burden of proof is on the company to prove that pregnancy wasn't the reason. Quite difficult to do if all the reviews have been going well.

Advertisement