Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a barber/hairdresser

Options
  • 10-02-2014 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Howdy

Im in need of a decent barber. I dont mind paying like 30euro or sumtin, but I want isnt a barber which asks me what it is that I want... I need one that will tell me what I want.

Going bold (around the temples... rly badly); need a good shave and I dont want to go short.
    Ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

I've been going to Sam's Barber on Dame Court for six years now. Never had a bad cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Son, you need to go to the Waldorf on Westmorland St.

Total professionals.

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

You should also try the search forum function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Thus ruling out any newly opened places.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mstq

I did, used google too
    Slattsy wrote:
    Son, you need to go to the Waldorf on Westmorland St.

Total professionals.

/thread

The thing is, I don't just need a good cut, I need style advise. I would put a lot of emphasis on "style advise".
    I'll give them a ring... but I read you need to book in advance and I need something before Wednesday :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Been going to Herman's Barber in Grafton St for over seven years. Always good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

The Merchant Barbers in Temple Bar is excellent and really well priced between 16-20 Euro. Only downside is you'll be queing for at least 30 minutes but there's plenty of comfy seats and always stuff on the TV

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mstq

I tried the Waldoft. I didn't get any advise, but I'm quite pleased with the result and unless I will find an actual hair stylist (like the one that would prep models for a photo shoot), I will most certainly avail of their services in future.

For future reference to anyone who might be concerned. I was served by a "blond" lady of eastern European ethnicity. At first I received a hair wash followed by extensive trimming on sides and a tiny trim on the top around the edges of the top part. The service took around 30 minutes after 10-15minutes of waiting. The bill was 32 euro and I'm highly satisfied with what I received for this amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

the grooming rooms are great. they give loads of advice also

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

mstq wrote: »
    Going bold

Have you tried italics?

Sorry :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Rory, owner of the Men's Room barbers in Amiens Street is excellent. It's between Busaras and Connolly Station, almost opposite the IFSC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Just picking up from this, a lot of waldorf Facebook pics look like people wanting old style hair cuts, is this what they mostly specialuse in?

Just picking up from this, a lot of waldorf Facebook pics look like people wanting old style hair cuts, is this what they mostly specialuse in?

I can see why you would think that!!

Yeah The Waldorf is the go to barbers in Dublin for that old-school type of cut, always has been. They'd have regulars going there for 30 years.

But they'll do what you ask for. I just get a normal cut myself there.

Slattsy wrote: »
    I can see why you would think that!!

Yeah The Waldorf is the go to barbers in Dublin for that old-school type of cut, always has been. They'd have regulars going there for 30 years.

But they'll do what you ask for. I just get a normal cut myself there.

Thanks for the reply.

I'll be trying them out soon!

Thanks for the reply.

I'll be trying them out soon!

Class there, i couldnt believe the difference after i went first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

mstq wrote: »

The thing is, I don't just need a good cut, I need style advise. I would put a lot of emphasis on "style advise".
    I'll give them a ring... but I read you need to book in advance and I need something before Wednesday :)

Robert Chambers on grafton street. Great service, whoever is cutting your hair will sit down with you for whatever length of time it takes to give you style advice. The haircut itself is top class. 50 bills but worth it.
    Wayward hair salon in Portobello is a great place aswell. Similiar to robert chambers, lots of time taken for style advice. Not your typical hair salon either. No dance music pumping over the speakers, or even your A- typical haristylists people, just down to earth folks.

Reading mixed reviews on the grooming rooms, anyone been?

Anyone?

Yeah I went there a few times. Its ok I guess, nothing special. You'd get the same service in Sam's or any other barbers for a lot less money.

tunguska wrote: »
    Yeah I went there a few times. Its ok I guess, nothing special. You'd get the same service in Sam's or any other barbers for a lot less money.

Cheers for that, want to go somewhere and try a few things as their cutting it, so would require someone with patientce!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

i'm a regular and would definitely recommend. i've gotten plenty of advice and style tips from them and after you ask for a style they sometime suggest improvements. some are better than others but all are good

you can also book appointments which i love as i hate waiting

Cheers for that, want to go somewhere and try a few things as their cutting it, so would require someone with patientce!

I'd go to Robert Chambers on grafton st then. Book an appointment and whoever s cutting your hair will sit down with yo beforehand and give you some style options/advice.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Is Robert chambers more geared towards women, or is it mixed?

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Is Robert chambers more geared towards women, or is it mixed?

No definitely not, really good mix of the sexes. Anytime I've been there its been about 50/50 and all ages aswell. Last time I had a haircut there was a kid in one chair, he looked about 19 and an older gentleman who looked to be in his 50s in another chair. So its not one of those places were they say its unisex but really its all just women and you'll get eyeballed like a leper when you walk in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Rory, owner of the Men's Room barbers in Amiens Street is excellent. It's between Busaras and Connolly Station, almost opposite the IFSC.

Resurrecting an old thread. I know this guy opens early but does anyone know exactly what time? Also, I'm pretty sure I asked him the last time I was in if he did hot towel shaves and he said yes but I may be thinking of somewhere else.

Doesn't seem to have an online presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭bureau2009

@ Collie D

It's a while since I was with Rory but I'm pretty certain he's there weekdays from 7.30 am if not 7.00 am.

Yes, he does hot towel shaves.

Phone no for Men's Room is: 01-8554602.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Thanks Bureau, just walked by the shop in last hour and got prices and times. 7.30am if anyone else wondering

Advertisement