Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help identify a statue, near Waterford

Options
  • 02-02-2014 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Long time lurker here, first post.

From here, can anyone familiar with the area help identify the location and story behind the statue in this pic. The photo was taken near Waterford city, after crossing a bridge over and next to a pool of water. Unfortunately there's no more specific information and the statue itself did not have a plaque or identification.

It's a modern, possibly bronze, full size statue of a woman wearing a full length dress with some sort of celtic knot design around her waist. Her hair seems to have been polished to appear blonde, her arms are outstretched and she's standing on a large rock, next to a rock formation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Guramoogah

It's in New Ross, down by the Rivergate Apartments. If you open Google Maps, enter these coordinates: 52.400439,-6.940782

• Registered Users Posts: 6 GuyInSpain

Guramoogah wrote: »
    It's in New Ross, down by the Rivergate Apartments. If you open Google Maps, enter these coordinates: 52.400439,-6.940782
    Wow, thanks a million! Now to find out if there's an interesting story or if it's just a decorative garden feature...

I give up. I can see that the location is likely the old Cherry's Brewery site, linked to the Kennedy family. The area is called Craywell so there's possibly a link to a well. The orientation of the statue and it's occupation of prime parking space makes me think it's more than a simple garden feature but the OSI maps don't show anything at that location and the planning permission just mentions landscaping. The concentric rock walls with large pedestal hint that it could be a well or other orifice which has been covered up. The celtic designs and open arms of the statue seem an odd combination, a mixture of folklore but possibly also a religious reference. Since google is failing me, I'm guessing this is not a well known sculptor, not a well known statue, and so maybe someone here can help identify it, especially since the location is known.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Guramoogah

I'm not holding back anything, Guy. I know where it is but I haven't a clue what it represents. It is one lovely sculpture, though. Please let us know if you find any info about it.

Guramoogah wrote: »
    I'm not holding back anything, Guy. I know where it is but I haven't a clue what it represents. It is one lovely sculpture, though. Please let us know if you find any info about it.
    Thanks Guramoogah, will try Wexford forum!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Any chance you can give that statue a tap with your knuckles Guramoogah? A lot of those really nice looking bronzes you see outside are actually fiber glass. What people often do now if they actually want a real bronze statue is to keep it inside and have a fiber glass copy made for outside, because a chunk of valuable metal like that is a red rag to "some people".

• Registered Users Posts: 28,068 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That's kinda sad...

Advertisement