Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

08-02-2014, 19:32   #661
Hairy mellon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanF View Post
Links to RIAI & bRegs forum are fine
Earlier this month the President of the Architects organisation the RIAI wrote to the Department of the Environment requesting a deferral of SI9.

Below is the RIAI letter sent on 15th January 2014 to Minister Hogan. Minster Hogan’s refusal is attached dated 16th January 2014. The new SI9 was subsequently signed by the Minister. The RIAI are a key stakeholder in the formation and implementation of SI9.

http://bregsforum.wordpress.com/2014...d-by-minister/

_____
Advertisement
08-02-2014, 19:33   #662
Hairy mellon

interesting opinion piece by 7 past presidents of riai on effectiveness of new regulations

New or same old building regulations? | BRegs Blog
http://bregsforum.wordpress.com/2013...lations-bregs/
08-02-2014, 19:38   #663
Hairy mellon

Interesting angle on overview

I wonder what private group stands to benefit most from regs?

Winners and Losers: Building Regulations (Amendment) Regulation 2014 (SI.9 of 2014) | BRegs Blog
http://bregsforum.wordpress.com/2014...-si-9-of-2014/
08-02-2014, 19:39   #664
DOCARCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy mellon View Post
Below is the RIAI letter sent on 15th January 2014 to Minister Hogan. Minster Hogan’s refusal is attached dated 16th January 2014.
Obviously the Minister does not consider the RIAI a key stakeholder.
08-02-2014, 19:44   #665
archtech

Code of practice for inspecting and certifying buildings and works has been published. I seen a copy this afternoon and will post a copy once I'm on my PC again.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-02-2014, 19:49   #666
Hairy mellon

apparently still vague between company and individual- need to see it but on previous version it was suggested that employees would need to take out separate professional indemnity insurance to cover themselves personally in addition to companies. Would be interesting to see final version.
08-02-2014, 19:58   #667
Hairy mellon

back on topic: Olivia Mitchell TD & Tommy Broughan TD to Minister Hogan: The Self-Builder Question?
http://bregsforum.wordpress.com/2014...lder-question/
08-02-2014, 21:30   #668
Micky Dolenz
Cat Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Sticks View Post
We have local elections this May. My crystal ball tells me this might just be an issue with jonnies "farmers" ....

Mod

Don't post on this thread anymore. We have had enough of your insights.
Thanks from:
08-02-2014, 21:42   #669
sydthebeat
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky Dolenz View Post

Mod

Don't post on this thread anymore. We have had enough of your insights.
Has there been a rule breach somewhere or is it simply a case of a moderator not liking their opinion challenged?

This is an extremely pertinent thread with good debate going on in it, please allow all sides to debate their opinions fully.... and should moderator action be necessary for a rule breach, so be it... but censorship because "we have had enough of your insights" is a frankly embarrassing way to try to censor a poster.

very poor in my opinion.....
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-02-2014, 22:17   #670
Micky Dolenz
Cat Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydthebeat View Post
Has there been a rule breach somewhere or is it simply a case of a moderator not liking their opinion challenged?

This is an extremely pertinent thread with good debate going on in it, please allow all sides to debate their opinions fully.... and should moderator action be necessary for a rule breach, so be it... but censorship because "we have had enough of your insights" is a frankly embarrassing way to try to censor a poster.

very poor in my opinion.....
Mod

Please don't question mod action on thread. Do so by PM.

Last edited by Micky Dolenz; 10-02-2014 at 14:19.
09-02-2014, 00:43   #671
mullingar

but curious to how

for enquiries on this see here

Last edited by BryanF; 09-02-2014 at 10:51.
09-02-2014, 01:39   #672
strongback

Forum Moderation

If you are not happy for any reason with the moderation of the forum then you may send a Private Message to one of the modeartors and if this does not address your concerns you should then follow the Dispute Resolution Procedure.

Do not argue with a mod or dispute his/her instructions on thread. If you have an issue send a Private Message to the moderator .

Last edited by BryanF; 09-02-2014 at 10:47. Reason: responding to Mod on thread
09-02-2014, 11:54   #673
jonniebgood1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy mellon View Post
back on topic: Olivia Mitchell TD & Tommy Broughan TD to Minister Hogan: The Self-Builder Question?
http://bregsforum.wordpress.com/2014...lder-question/
There is a worrying contradiction well highlighted in link. What is your opinion on this Hairy mellon?

My view is that if self-builders are allowed nominate themselves (as suggested in the ministers reply) as builders then the whole system as proposed is almost identical to the current system.
09-02-2014, 12:20   #674
BryanF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonniebgood1 View Post
My view is that if self-builders are allowed nominate themselves (as suggested in the ministers reply) as builders then the whole system as proposed is almost identical to the current system.
the BCA & subsequent COP are at odds with Mr hogans reply

from the BCA 2014 act
Quote:
homeowner:
As the building owner, I have assigned the following person as Builder of the building or works and I am satisfied that they are competent to undertake the works so assigned on my behalf

builder:
I confirm that I have been commissioned by the building owner to undertake the works described above and that I am competent to undertake the works concerned. I further under-take to ensure that any persons employed or engaged by me to undertake any of the works involved will be competent to undertake such works.

I undertake to construct the building or works in accordance with the plans, calculations,specifications, ancillary certificates and particulars

Having regard to the Code of Practice for Inspecting and Certifying Buildings and Works, or equivalent, I further undertake to cooperate with the inspections set out in the inspection plan prepared by the Assigned Certifier and to take all reasonable steps so as to ensure that I shall certify that the building or works is in compliance with the requirements of the Second Schedule to the Building Regulations insofar as they apply to the building or works
Building-Control-(Amendment)-Regulations-2014-–-SI-No-9-of-2014

below from the newly published Code of Practice (COP)
Quote:
“Builder” means a competent builder appointed, for purposes of the Building Control Regulations, by the building owner, to build and supervise the works;
Building Owners, Designers and Builders are bound by this legal requirement. In undertaking building works, appropriate measures should be taken so that the work is in accordance with the Building Regulations. Designers, Builders and certifiers should exercise reasonable skill, care and diligence in the exercise of their duties. They and persons assigned by them should be competent for the work they undertake.

Specifically, the Building Owner should:
(c) sign the notice for the assignment of:
1) a competent, registered professional (the Assigned Certifier) who will
inspect the building works during Construction and provide a certificate
of compliance on completion, and
2) a competent Builder to construct in accordance with the plans,
specifications and Building Regulations and to sign the Certificate of
Compliance on completion; Builders included on the Construction
Industry Register Ireland or equivalent may be regarded as competent
for projects consistent with their registration profile.
The Builder, appointed by the Building Owner, gives an undertaking to construct, to
cooperate with the Assigned Certifier and to sign the Certificate of Compliance on
Completion as required under the Building Control Regulations.

until someone provides a case example of where a client has managed to act as builder under the BCA 2014, this is case closed.

Last edited by BryanF; 09-02-2014 at 12:28.
09-02-2014, 12:50   #675
jonniebgood1

I agree Bryan but I would fear from the ministers reply that he is edging towards some kind of U-turn even at this stage (transitional arrangements would be the phrase)- elections are near. I wonder has any direction been given to planning authorities on what constitutes an invalid commencement notice, and how this should be followed up if/ when it happens?
Thread Closed