Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Zero Theorem (Terry Gilliam)

Options
  • 27-01-2014 10:00pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

While apparently the initial buzz from the festival circuit has been a little lukewarm, and it still lacks a distributor, I don't think I'm alone in being a little excited that Gilliam appears to be returning to the surreal, dystopian landscapes that defined his early to middle work. And while the themes in Zero Theorem appear to be a little different, my brain keeps shouting 'Brazil' as I watch the trailer; hopefully this new film reaches that level of genius & the comparisons aren't too premature... this is one I'm definitely keeping an eye on (did I hear mutterings it might get a showing at JDIFF; there any chance an ordinary Joes like myself might sneak in at all?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

It IS showing at JDIFF, sold out really quickly though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah ok, didn't realise it was confirmed; damn. Figured I was well late for that party anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Well that looks mad as a box of frogs. My sister got us tickets. Looking forward to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you had me at terry gilliam

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭darraghdoyle

Hey folks, just letting you know you have a chance to win tickets to the screening and put questions directly to Terry Gilliam at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057150912

Cheers

Darragh

• Advertisement

So I went to this on Friday.

Anyone else see it?

To my eternal shame I haven't seen Brazil and I've never properly watched Fear and Loathing (although I did read it).

12 Monkeys was class alright.

So anyway I didn't know what to expect other than the madness outlined by the trailer.

On a technical level I loved it. The fashion, the music, the adds, the little cameo from Brienne of Tarth, the ridiculous suit Qohen wore. There was an element of daft Clockwork Orangyness to it but a lot of it felt quite real - just exaggerated.
    Chirstoph Waltz was brilliant, of course. I thought Melanie Thierry was ok for most of it but the scene where she tries to get Q to run away with her was a cut above as far as her performance went.
    I loved the dynamic between the kid and Q.

I tend to gravitate towards more straightforward films so the plot left me feeling a bit empty, but given the theme of anonymity, nihlism and so forth that ran through the film, I suppose that was kinda the point.

Good overall. I have it 3/4 stars leaving the film and I stand by that.
    The only slight gripe, which may have been with the cinema, was that it was a bit loud and tinny sounding in places and it made the dialogue between Q and David Thewlis' character hard to hear at the start of the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

Think I can take or leave Terry Gilliam at this stage, I stuck on Fear and Loathing and was surprised at how downright poor it is as a film in comparison to the book.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Gbear wrote: »

Anyone else see it?

To my eternal shame I haven't seen Brazil and I've never properly watched Fear and Loathing (although I did read it).

12 Monkeys was class alright.

So anyway I didn't know what to expect other than the madness outlined by the trailer.
    On a technical level I loved it. The fashion, the music, the adds, the little cameo from Brienne of Tarth, the ridiculous suit Qohen wore. There was an element of daft Clockwork Orangyness to it but a lot of it felt quite real - just exaggerated.

Chirstoph Waltz was brilliant, of course. I thought Melanie Thierry was ok for most of it but the scene where she tries to get Q to run away with her was a cut above as far as her performance went.
    I loved the dynamic between the kid and Q.

I tend to gravitate towards more straightforward films so the plot left me feeling a bit empty, but given the theme of anonymity, nihlism and so forth that ran through the film, I suppose that was kinda the point.

Good overall. I have it 3/4 stars leaving the film and I stand by that.
    The only slight gripe, which may have been with the cinema, was that it was a bit loud and tinny sounding in places and it made the dialogue between Q and David Thewlis' character hard to hear at the start of the film.

I don't think there's any need for spoiler-text your entire review; it'd be nice for others to read your general thoughts without being afraid everything under grey is a spoiler :) Oh and yes, go see Brazil!

pixelburp wrote: »
    I don't think there's any need for spoiler-text your entire review; it'd be nice for others to read your general thoughts without being afraid everything under grey is a spoiler :) Oh and yes, go see Brazil!

Cool. I've edited the spoilers to stuff only pertaining to the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

Gbear wrote: »

Anyone else see it?

Yep. Gilliam's very hit and miss; and this was a definite miss. Looked nice, good performances, some interesting ideas... but then went nowhere with them and had that ending.
    Sigh.
    Was so disappointed that I left before the Q&A.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Like pretty much every Terry Gilliam film after Twelve Monkeys, I left this feeling very frustrated. There's something completely ramshackle and removed about the whole film, and attempts to add some degree of 'humanity' to proceedings later on jarred badly with the zany presentation up until then. Even though it offers a bold aesthetic I found it more grating than compelling. There's a few interesting ideas in there, but they're awkwardly articulated. I'd almost call it 'paceless' - at times a seemingly random smattering of scenes and images.

It's certainly in the vein of Brazil, even playing like a subversion of that great film. But whereas once upon a time Gilliam's wild and imaginative storytelling offered many pleasures now it feels forced and empty.

Watch The Double instead - it's a fuller, more consistent and much funnier realisation of a surreal alternative reality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just back from seeing this.
    There were 6 in the theatre, 2 walked out half way through.
    It was a difficult movie.
    If you are Gilliam prepared you'll find it easier to digest but otherwise it'll just seem like nonsense.

I'm interested in other opinions on this one.

Can feel a bit like the Emperors New Clothes, do I hate it and look stupid or say I love it and try to appear smart.

I kinda liked it but would have appreciated a stronger narrative thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    do I hate it and look stupid or say I love it and try to appear smart.
    Just say what you feel.

Found it a frustrating and underwhelming watch. The ingredients are there for something interesting but the film just feels far too static with an unengaging character and lack of bite in what it's trying to say. A pretty looking bore.

I possibly had a bit more time for it because I tend to stick to films that are more straightforward but I did enjoy it.

I've no doubt it fell down in a number places but the novelty of the world, the colour, and all the fun little cameos kept me engaged when the plot was meandering a bit.

I mightn't be as generous after a 2nd viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

crybaby wrote: »
    Think I can take or leave Terry Gilliam at this stage, I stuck on Fear and Loathing and was surprised at how downright poor it is as a film in comparison to the book.

Really, how so? I think it captures the book wonderfully and it's a remarkably straight adaptation as well. I'd rate it far higher than say WTBR or Rum Diary.

As for Zero Theorem, well it kinda look like a parody of a Gilliam movie to me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm just back from watching this and am in two minds about it.

On the one hand, it's got that trademark Gilliam borderline madness and distinctive visual style - the early sequence with Qohen walking to work was wonderful and felt like a realisation of the world of Transmetropolitan more than anything else, and various other details worked very well as well.

On the other hand, the narrative was weaker and less interesting than I'd expect from:
    a) someone who's made as many films as Gilliam, and
    b) specifically the person who already made Brazil.

I mean, in terms of the overall story it feels like a weird mashup of Pi and Brazil, albeit with the possibility of some vaguely interesting questions about
    who the protagonist actually is - I can see arguments for either Bob being a facet of Qohen's personality, or Qohen being a facet of Bob's personality, with the story being a fever dream brought on by some unspecified illness that has befallen whichever character is "real"
    . It would be much more interesting if not for the feeling of revisiting familiar territory, though - and it would have helped if the pacing and structure were better adapted to the narrative, though.

In saying all of this, I kind of expect Gilliam to fumble the landing these days and am really primarily interested in his worldbuilding and visuals. Between that and a fondness on my part for films about Obsessive Quests For The Truth, I was able to forgive the failings in The Zero Theorem - but I'd be foolish to suggest they aren't there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I saw it at JDIFF where it probably would played a lot better had it been shown before The Double, as it did at LFF, instead of after. It’s far from his best work and as already said, feels like a re-hash in places, but I enjoyed it a lot. Gilliam has no contemporary equal, belonging to a fantastical filmmaking tradition that has been dead for decades. Even his most minor efforts should be cherished, especially when he’s working in an environment that has become so hostile to him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Hunter of Invisible Game

Wanted to like it so much, as I love the guy and most of his films to date but I just couldn't get into it. I tried so hard, harder than I would for most films but it was just to drawn out and little or no pay off for staying with it.

Damn it to hell, and as much as it pains me to say it, I just did not enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Few good moments in it but they are outnumbered by the mundane moments. One great moment though where they are sitting in the park and all the prohibitive signs behind them. Ah it passes 100 mins but easily forgotten. Lot of the same themes as previously said.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

I thought it started slowly enough, all style no substance, quirky for quirky sake but once it reached the party things began to pick up.

The female distraction, the shrink, the kid were all well done & well acted I thought.
    I really enjoyed this second act, especially the love interest.

Ultimately it just fizzled out which was a pity,
    I would like to have seen proof of the theorem & the return of management
    but that's just me.

I enjoyed it's uniqueness & Gilliam's vision., 7/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Have to agree with other posters on this, it is a good film overall. Cant seem to find any info on this so will ask here. Bob's role,
    is it not a string of matt damon (possibly ben affleck) impressions paraphrased from other films?
    Either that or im going crazy.

Advertisement