Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learner Driver Accompaniment Volunteer

Options
  • 24-01-2014 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

I'd like to raise some money for some very worthwhile charities and had an idea. I'd be willing to accompany learner drivers while they practice if they make a contribution to some charities I've chosen. I'll have a mycharity.ie page set up so you donate online and the money goes direct to them. The charities are Childline, Amnesty International, DSPCA and Alone.
    I've a full license including E+C(artics) and experience of driving in Ireland, Uk and Europe. I'm not offering lessons, just somebody with considerable experience to accompany learners. I believe there may be people for one reason or another have difficulty finding somebody to accompany them.
    I'm based in Dublin 8 so I'd really only be able to do this in the Dublin area.

Any thoughts or ideas on this? Would there be much of a demand? I was thinking €10/hour minimum donation?

Thanks

Matthew

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Payments can be made through this page... http://www.mycharity.ie/event/matthew_moores_event

Feel free to PM me with any questions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

I know if there was something like this in my area coming up to my test I'd have spent hours upon hours practising.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭I can't tell you why

I am a driving instructor and I like your idea. Although noble it may still be illegal? Perhaps anonymously check with the RSA if it can be allowed. Good luck with it.

I am a driving instructor and I like your idea. Although noble it may still be illegal? Perhaps anonymously check with the RSA if it can be allowed. Good luck with it.

Thanks, I would hope that if people were taking me up on my offer then they had taken quite a few lessons with an instructor first.

Why do you think it would be illegal? I'm providing something a family member or friend usually would

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

Moomat wrote: »
    Thanks, I would hope that if people were taking me up on my offer then they had taken quite a few lessons with an instructor first.

Why do you think it would be illegal? I'm providing something a family member or friend usually would

Because there's the technicality of a payment taking place, albeit to a 3rd party.

Only ADI's can provide lessons "for hire or reward" Generally speaking a friend or family member would accompany someone out of the goodness of their heart.

As Darragh says, check it out before proceeding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I don't see a problem with the illegality of it. The OP is offering to be an accompanying driver, not to give lessons. There is a big, big difference between the two. To give lessons, he has to be a certified ADI. But he can be an accompanying driver to any learner, as long as he has a full license and he has had it for at least 2 years. If the learner is a friend, or their own child, or someone who is going to make a donation to a charity, what difference does it make? The RSA don't pay any attention to the specifics of who sponsor drivers are, or their relationship to the learner driver, other than they must have had their own license for at least 2 years.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

All we're doing is offering the op advice. If he/she doesn't take it, that's his/her call.

It's a grey area

Because there's the technicality of a payment taking place, albeit to a 3rd party.

Only ADI's can provide lessons "for hire or reward" Generally speaking a friend or family member would accompany someone out of the goodness of their heart.

As Darragh says, check it out before proceeding.

I've emailed the RSA and spoke informally to a Guard. No reply from the RSA yet but the Guard doesn't see any issue with it. It's pretty clear cut in his opinion, I'm not providing or advertising lessons and they are practising in their own car which they tax and insure. The fact of the donation is as relevant as a Dad accompanying his son on the condition he cuts the grass.

All we're doing is offering the op advice. If he/she doesn't take it, that's his/her call.

It's a grey area

I appreciate it's something that isn't very common and welcome all opinions. That's why I asked for any thoughts or ideas in my OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Id say you will be fine. As long as you arent giving lessons. The gards will see it as an none issue if you donate it to charity seeing as so many drive unaccompanied. Bigger fish to fry and all that. ADIs might not like you encroaching on their territory though. What is an accompanying person supposed to do if he cant give advice or pointers. As for the whole reward thing. You aren't receiving a reward if they make the payment directly to charity. Even if they pay it to you and you give to charity I cant see the Gardai opening an investigation into it unless you start buying yachts and new cars!

• Advertisement

Days 298 wrote: »
    Id say you will be fine. As long as you arent giving lessons. The gards will see it as an none issue if you donate it to charity seeing as so many drive unaccompanied. Bigger fish to fry and all that. ADIs might not like you encroaching on their territory though. What is an accompanying person supposed to do if he cant give advice or pointers. As for the whole reward thing. You aren't receiving a reward if they make the payment directly to charity. Even if they pay it to you and you give to charity I cant see the Gardai opening an investigation into it unless you start buying yachts and new cars!

The mycharity.ie page is a great way to keep it above board, I won't accept any cash. The yachts and cars are in my wifes name so they should be ok.
    I don't think instructors have anything to worry about. It's really something for people to do inbetween lessons. Learners who go out alone are taking a huge risk and getting a whole wrong impression regards road safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭lfqnic

I think it is a great idea and very noble! I am just beginning to learn to drive and often wonder how people who don't have a family member to help could possibly get around the sponsor issue, and here you are. I might take you up on it myself in a few months when I'm a bit more advanced :) Good luck with it!

lfqnic wrote: »
    I think it is a great idea and very noble! I am just beginning to learn to drive and often wonder how people who don't have a family member to help could possibly get around the sponsor issue, and here you are. I might take you up on it myself in a few months when I'm a bit more advanced :) Good luck with it!

Thanks, I'm looking forward to getting some donations in soon! I'd be delighted to help, feel free to PM if you have any questions. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

well done OP, good idea. I taught my two to drive and was their accompanying supervisor but most of their friends' parents wouldn't do it for their kids - too nervous or just too busy alot of the time. I'd recommend the service if you were in the my area.

I suppose the one thing you'd really need to be sure about is that they are actually insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilyShame

Hi OP
    Great idea
    I am interested although based in D9, had loads of lessons, cant get decent practice in.
    If you or an equivalent D9 person/volunteer are interested, PM me.
    Happy to donate to a good cause.
    Its not illegal, its volunteerism

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

<content removed by mod>

LilyShame wrote: »
    Hi OP
    Great idea
    I am interested although based in D9, had loads of lessons, cant get decent practice in.
    If you or an equivalent D9 person/volunteer are interested, PM me.
    Happy to donate to a good cause.
    Its not illegal, its volunteerism

Sent you a pm. Thanks for you interest. It's no problem meeting you in D.9

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Likeafirework

I'm looking for someone with a full valid licence to accompany me driving in the Dublin 7 area. Happy to donate to charity or give lifts etc. Please PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Anyone in Cork City area interested in being a sponsor???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

Is this still going?

I've had my 12edts plus about ten+ lessons all spaced out! I finally got a car last week but I can't afford to keep taking lessons for practice, I'll still take one a week or so and my dad is available sometimes to come out with me but I need more :(

I love this idea and would love to feel my inability to "get it" is helping a good cause!

CarMe wrote: »
    Is this still going?

I've had my 12edts plus about ten+ lessons all spaced out! I finally got a car last week but I can't afford to keep taking lessons for practice, I'll still take one a week or so and my dad is available sometimes to come out with me but I need more :(

I love this idea and would love to feel my inability to "get it" is helping a good cause!

Congratulations on getting your car! :)
    Yes, I'm still doing it but it will be May/June before I can start again due to other commitments.
    There has been a huge increase in interest for what I am providing lately, I would love to see if some other people around the country would be willing to offer some of their time to act as sponsors too.
    Feel free to PM if anybody has any questions about being a sponsor or seeking a sponsor.

Hi all great to see this thread become active again. Moomat was my sponsor for seven months and we raised 750 Euros for charity via his mycharity page .

I am proud to have been a very early adopter of this initiative and would love to see more learners sponsors and charities take up on this concept. I would also be encouraged by a rep from the RSA showing their presence on this forum and consider giving this idea an endorsement even as a pilot. This concept should be seen as a support to ADIs in their role teaching people driving skills ..... Not a competitor. Until something like this is trialled..
    .I really do believe many learners will continue to

Sorry....on the phone typing this!
    ...some learners will continue to drive solo. There needs to be more than the option to drive with family, to get practice in. And the charity drive idea could be the answer.

Look forward to seeing a few more charities benefit over the coming months!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Marta0101

I am interested in this idea.
    I live in Dublin 2 area and I have my own car. I have done 12EDTs + around 30 hours driving/practicing with instructor. I cant afford paying for the lessons with instructor...
    Please PM me if anyone is interested to be accompanying driver

• Registered Users Posts: 5 denmarionne

seefin wrote: »
    Anyone in Cork City area interested in being a sponsor???

I am looking for a sponsor in Cork City as well. Have you found one? Would appreciate if you could provide any leads.

Advertisement