Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learn to code interactively, for FREE with Codeacademy

• 02-01-2014 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

Why not learn a new skill in computer programming in 2014!, all FREE with Codeacademy.

Codecademy is an education company. But not one in the way you might think. We're committed to building the best learning experience inside and out, making Codecademy the best place for our team to learn, teach, and create the online learning experience of the future.

Education is old. The current public school system in the US dates back to the 19th century and wasn't designed to scale the way it has. Lots of companies are working to "disrupt" education by changing the way things work in the classroom and by bringing the classroom online.

We're not one of those companies. We are rethinking education from the bottom up. The web has rethought nearly everything - commerce, social networking, healthcare, and more. We are building the education the world needs - the first truly net native education. We take more cues from Facebook and Zynga in creating an engaging educational experience than we do from the classroom.

We do not want to open up universities. We want to open up knowledge. Everyone knows something they can teach someone else and we want to help them do it. Our community has created tens of thousands of courses and taken millions of courses. At this point, more than a billion lines of code have been submitted to Codecademy.

Education is broken. Come help us build the education the world deserves.

LEARN TO CODE
    → Web Fundamentals
    → jQuery
    → JavaScript
    → HTML/CSS
    → PHP
    → Python
    → Ruby
    → APIs
    → Web Objects

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AiRcTRL

This is not a bargain, CodeAcademy is always free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭Techno_Toaster

It's certainly a bargain to me. Never heard of code academy until this post.

Thanks op I'll be using it anyway:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Bargain for me too. Starting a software work placement next week and most of this is excellent. Wasn't aware code academy was free wish I had of been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

These guys are new to me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

ditto, thank you OP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Duolingo great for languages. Currently going through German. You really need to read extra online material to get to grips with stuff like grammar but it's a great way to get started and to a conversational level on a language.

www.duolingo.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Can you pick what you learn or is it a set course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Harvard also do a free online course starting now which is available to all - Introduction to Computer Science

Well worth a look and you get a real Harvard cert at the end of it, not too shabby on the CV!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

hare05 wrote: »
    Since were talking about programming, if anyone wants something a bit more advanced than codecademy, check out edX CS50. It's. Free graded software development course run by Harvard University.

Should be taking sign ups right now.

See the post above yours :D:P

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

Supercell wrote: »
    See the post above yours :D:P

EEP

DELETED. MUST HIDE SHAME.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

let me be the first to step in and say if youre trying to learn coding you MUST learn source contrrol, its soo simple but i cant believe NO colleges/universities are teaching it, shocking as its the barebones of development.

Example of version control software are:
    Git
    Subversion(svn)
    Clearcase( avoid its old and not opensource )

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

lmimmfn wrote: »
    let me be the first to step in and say if youre trying to learn coding you MUST learn source contrrol, its soo simple but i cant believe NO colleges/universities are teaching it, shocking as its the barebones of development.

Syntax is of course always important in ANY programming language :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Excellent website so far, and great timing. My new years resolution is to learn at least fundamental coding skills. I did a bit of Java in first year college but the work I'm doing at the moment has a lot of python scripting hidden behind a nice friendly interface. I'd love to understand what's going on behind the interface and this website will definitely help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Didn't know this site existed either, thanks OP! Gonna come in handy. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Shred

Nice one OP, never heard of it either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The single best post I have read on Boards.ie in about a year.

Absolutely eating up this site over the last few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Well there's http://www.w3schools.com/ as well, for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

This also has lots of free courses too.

https://www.coursera.org/

Code Academy is great too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

No Mention yet of "Khan Academy" or "Ted Talks". A sticky listing some of the better online learning resources would be awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭ablelocks

No Mention yet of "Khan Academy" or "Ted Talks". A sticky listing some of the better online learning resources would be awesome.

I have a request in for an online sub-forum in edu it but hasn't gone anywhere yet...

thanks to the op too for codeacademy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭ablelocks

the Lifehacker list of free online resources for 2014 has just been posted today....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Keep these links coming people. Thanks for putting them up. Planning to learn a few of these since they'll look excellent on a CV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

degsie wrote: »
    Syntax is of course always important in ANY programming language :P
    None off the boded are syntactical errors; they're spelling and grammar mistakes.

Great thread BTW. A free course that gives you a Harvard Cert? Not to shabby.

Class Central puts all of these classes in one handy site. Posted it last time a thread like this popped up. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055654231

Some free courses on this dedicated thread in the Distance Learning forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

None off the boded are syntactical errors; they're spelling and grammar mistakes.

Ahem...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

degsie wrote: »
    Ahem...
    You could have picked up on the to/too error in the second paragraph as well. That was a real howler.

The point still stands: they're spelling and grammar mistakes. Example a this of is incoherent sentence syntactically an.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

Anyone know of anything available for CISCO? There's a few in Youtube, but not really structured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Supercell wrote: »
    Harvard also do a free online course starting now which is available to all - Introduction to Computer Science

Well worth a look and you get a real Harvard cert at the end of it, not too shabby on the CV!

Signed up - how could any resist the chance to have a Harvard Certificate :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

lmimmfn wrote: »

Example of version control software are:
    Git
    Subversion(svn)
    Clearcase( avoid its old and not opensource )

I learned all I've needed of source control in the first week or two of a software development job. It's an essential tool but I'd worry about learning to code first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

CGI_3 wrote: »
    Anyone know of anything available for CISCO? There's a few in Youtube, but not really structured.
    saw one on hkud

Advertisement