Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quite miserable.

Options
  • 28-11-2013 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

i actually have few thoughts in mind on what i want to do after college.
    1. be a teacher (art or english)
    but the problem is,i dont want to study english in college..
    so any chance i can be an english teacher???????

2.beautician.
    3.bascially work in a charity organisation
    4.historian

im not too sure what to do..
    any ways that i can do all course together?
    do i need to pass irish to be a teacher?.
    im also a foreign

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Why don't you want to study english in college if you want to be an english teacher? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭JOJOGINS

peekachoo wrote: »
    Why don't you want to study english in college if you want to be an english teacher? :confused:

i dont really like to get into english,as has too much writing..
    .but im good at english and got an a for j.c..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,156 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm afraid to be a teacher you need a degree in the subject you're teaching, so no English degree, no teaching English in an Irish school.

You will need a high standard of Irish to be a primary teacher, but unless you hope to teach Irish you do not need it anymore for second-level teaching.

Beautician - there are many Level 5 and 6 courses available for this.

Historian - you would have to do a History degree for this - again, there's a lot of writing involved.

Working in a charity organisation can be done alongside many other jobs in a voluntary capacity.

spurious wrote: »
    I'm afraid to be a teacher you need a degree in the subject you're teaching, so no English degree, no teaching English in an Irish school.

You will need a high standard of Irish to be a primary teacher, but unless you hope to teach Irish you do not need it anymore for second-level teaching.

Beautician - there are many Level 5 and 6 courses available for this.

Historian - you would have to do a History degree for this - again, there's a lot of writing involved.

Working in a charity organisation can be done alongside many other jobs in a voluntary capacity.

thank you for your help.
    so is it possible for me to do beauty course,english and history together?
    can it be done in trinity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I'm on the same boat as you. I have a huge list of things I want to be, I wish I could be all of them. Kind of like a teacher during the day, psychology scientist during the late evenings and maybe squeeze some charity work at night, but we all know that's very unrealistic and impossible to achieve, unless ...

There are many quizzes that are aimed to help point you towards the right direction career wise. Go to the "Careers and Job discussion" thread and you'll find stuff there that'll help. I made a post there awhile ago and someone linked a really hopeful career test, so maybe check that out. Also talk to the career guidance person in your school if you have one, I'm sure she/he has a lot of helpful information!

I can't help but say, the post above me is right, a lot of jobs will require you to write reports and all sort of stuff, the thing that really changes is what you're writing about. But I suppose if you love the job you have, writing wouldn't be a problem :p.

• Advertisement

I'm on the same boat as you. I have a huge list of things I want to be, I wish I could be all of them. Kind of like a teacher during the day, psychology scientist during the late evenings and maybe squeeze some charity work at night, but we all know that's very unrealistic and impossible to achieve, unless ...

There are many quizzes that are aimed to help point you towards the right direction career wise. Go to the "Careers and Job discussion" thread and you'll find stuff there that'll help. I made a post there awhile ago and someone linked a really hopeful career test, so maybe check that out. Also talk to the career guidance person in your school if you have one, I'm sure she/he has a lot of helpful information!

I can't help but say, the post above me is right, a lot of jobs will require you to write reports and all sort of stuff, the thing that really changes is what you're writing about. But I suppose if you love the job you have, writing wouldn't be a problem :p.

hi,thanks u too!
    a career test for me will be helpful!!
    i have awful lot of career i wanted to do ~uhhh!!!!!
    :Dthanks,but i believe i can do teaching and charity and the same time.
    :Dthanks for your help......although personally....i HATE writing ...even things i like.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,624 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

JOJOGINS wrote: »
    thank you for your help.
    so is it possible for me to do beauty course,english and history together?
    can it be done in trinity?

Trinity. Beauty course. Seriously?

You'll have to do the Level 5 in a community college.

You should probably go talk to someone in school about going to college in regards to degrees.

Basically, to become a teacher you have to have a Level 8 Honours degree in whatever subject you want to teach.

A level 5/6 is a PLC course. These are a lot less valued that a level 8 degree. Generally people who don't get the points they required to do a level 8 in the LC do a level 5 and then progress to a Level 8 if they get the grades that'll allow them transfer into a course.

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Trinity. Beauty course. Seriously?

You'll have to do the Level 5 in a community college.

You should probably go talk to someone in school about going to college in regards to degrees.

Basically, to become a teacher you have to have a Level 8 Honours degree in whatever subject you want to teach.

A level 5/6 is a PLC course. These are a lot less valued that a level 8 degree. Generally people who don't get the points they required to do a level 8 in the LC do a level 5 and then progress to a Level 8 if they get the grades that'll allow them transfer into a course.

lol,i dont mean to do them altogether in the same school.
    but i mean is it possible to do it altogether in the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

JOJOGINS wrote: »
    lol,i dont mean to do them altogether in the same school.
    but i mean is it possible to do it altogether in the same time?
    You could probably do English/History as a level 8 and do some beautician course (whatever that is... are they even necessary for getting a job?) in your free time.

You don't really sound like you're in to English so i'm not sure why you'd like to teach it. History as well requires a huge amount of reading and writing so if you "dont really like to get into english,as has too much writing" then you probably won't enjoy either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Here's my take on it. You don't like writing so maybe English and History are not your thing. But to answer your question - you could do English and History as an arts degree, whilst maybe do beauty as a part time job or help our in a beauty shop to get money for college.

On another note you don't have to go to college straight after your leaving cert, you could take up a couple of part time jobs after the leaving cert to see what you really want to do. Hook up with a local Historian, do a few projects with them, do a short course in Beauty. You need not rush into anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭robman60

I'm struggling to see why you'd like to be an English teacher if you think it involves too much writing. The beautician course would probably be in a community college or something, so have a look on Qualifax to see if you fin anything.

As previously mentioned, a year out might suit you as your prospective college courses seem wide-ranging. Perhaps a year out would allow you to focus more on finding what you really want to do. You could also do some voluntary work if you wanted too.

Advertisement