Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths

Options
  • 19-11-2013 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm repeating the leaving cert this year, got a B1 in ordinary level Maths, I was wondering would it be possible to take up applied Maths at this time of the year,in ordinary level, if so could anybody possibly recommend notes, books etc. Thanks :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

Picking up even ordinary applied maths from ordinary maths this late in the game doesn't seem like a great idea. Sooner put that time into another subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Peonlower

Thanks, @yoho139, I had a look at the papers and I'm very interested in it (possibly the only subject besides Maths), but at the end of the day it doesn't really seem productive with the time I have, I'm very disappointed I didn't pick applied Maths or physics in fifth year :(, I should of worked harder in higher level Maths as well, but oh well that doesn't matter now lol, thanks though :)

If you have the aptitude, have a look at some papers. If you can make sense of the papers and marking schemes do try, by all means, but without Physics you might have a hard time of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Ordinary Level Applied Maths is probably the best kept secret of the Leaving Cert.

It is extremely short and quite easy.

Go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Peonlower

I'm going to give it a try, my friend has a book on it, can anybody suggest notes or tips to help me work towards the best possible grade ??

• Advertisement

Don't use Oliver Murphy's textbook. So full of mistakes...

You might find this to have some useful stuff. My Applied Maths teacher uses it, as does my Physics teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Prodgey

yoho139 wrote: »
    Don't use Oliver Murphy's textbook. So full of mistakes...

You might find this to have some useful stuff. My Applied Maths teacher uses it, as does my Physics teacher.

It's still the only textbook, and an extremely good one. Plus the 2nd edition is out now.

Prodgey wrote: »
    It's still the only textbook, and an extremely good one. Plus the 2nd edition is out now.

Both versions of the second edition, with them having no mark to show that they're different runs, with different mistakes in each. My entire class and teacher hate that book.

Here is the CBS Kilkenny Moodle website done by a very committed teacher.

Full handwritten solutions to Exam Papers back to around 2001 for Questions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 10.

Also full handwritten solutions to all questions in those chapters for the Donnelly book and Murphy book.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Here is the CBS Kilkenny Moodle website done by a very committed teacher.

Full handwritten solutions to Exam Papers back to around 2001 for Questions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 10.

Also full handwritten solutions to all questions in those chapters for the Donnelly book and Murphy book.

When doing the Leaving Cert last year some friends and I started using the moodle website. However we became cautious about using it because we encountered information a number of times that was sending us in the wrong direction.

For example, I was completely misled by a rising balloon question where the solution said the balloon was irrelevant.
    http://moodle.cbskilkenny.ie/file.php/12/MOCKS_PAPERS_AND_SOLUTIONS/MOCK_HL_2010_SOLUTIONS_Q1_2_3.pdf

I did a question like this for my grinds class ignoring the rising balloon. I thought my grinds teacher was going to assault me when I questioned his solution on the board.

After that we stayed away from the website.

• Advertisement

I appreciate the problem that you encountered but for me, it is a God-sent and I'd be lost without it.

But that being said, the lady who did the solutions is my teacher so her specific methods are the very ones I use when doing my answers. She doesn't have too many different methods to be honest, but I'd say it would only be a problem for people outside her classes in around 1-5% of the solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

cathalio11 wrote: »
    I appreciate the problem that you encountered but for me, it is a God-sent and I'd be lost without it.

But that being said, the lady who did the solutions is my teacher so her specific methods are the very ones I use when doing my answers. She doesn't have too many different methods to be honest, but I'd say it would only be a problem for people outside her classes in around 1-5% of the solutions.

Well I wouldn't use the balloon solution because it is wrong. To tell someone publicly that an object dropped from a balloon ascending with constant velocity has an initial velocity of zero demonstrates a deep incompetence about this subject. Why is the solution still there?

lostatsea wrote: »
    Well I wouldn't use the balloon solution because it is wrong. To tell someone publicly that an object dropped from a balloon ascending with constant velocity has an initial velocity of zero demonstrates a deep incompetence about this subject. Why is the solution still there?

I can't help but think that you are trying to pick a fight here with your harsh words and I have no interest in getting into a fierce debate.

I would be in a worse off position without this website and I am full of appreciation for the hard-work and dedication that my teacher put into the creation of it.

To answer your question, the solution is obviously still there because it hasn't been brought to her attention. And having done an ascending balloon question 2 months ago in class, I can only assume that the mistake came from misreading the question as the balloon was accounted for in class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Don't be disappointed about not having done LC Phys: it's boring and unmathematical. Pick up a popular physics book in the library and be far more stimulated. It's also of minimal benefit to App Maths. Other than the equations of motion, there really is no cross-over. I took up App Maths after a year of Physics, and found that after a week of Linear Motion (the Q1 topic), my previous knowledge had been eclipsed.

App Maths relies on little more than JC Maths, so doing Ordinary LC Maths isn't an issue. But, if you are successful at App Maths, you definitely should be doing Higher!

I don't fully agree with Cathalio11. Certainly anyone of C-standard or better in Higher AM would ace the Ord paper. But the learning process is the same as for Higher: I went on to get an A1, but found the early parts of topics as easy/difficult as the later ones (unlike Maths, where the difficulty spikes near the end). And learning it in six months, without a teacher, as well as prepping for other subjects, would seem to me to be very challenging for little gain. However, the OP is limited in what s/he could pick-up at this stage because of many of the subjects having course-work requirements. So, I would probably concede that it, and maybe Accounting, are the most appropriate.

And, btw, Latin is the best-kept secret: it pretty much only tests one's vocabulary!

App Maths is incredibly enjoyable and absorbing, and can be learnt in one's spare time after the LC... I'm jealous even thinking about it!

Advertisement