Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The condom-nation of Ireland!

Options
  • 13-11-2013 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Sightly weird retro moment here but does anyone remember the strongly heated debate around the legalisation of condom sales without a prescription, in Ireland?

I remember the absolute Holy scandal of the Virgin Megastore on Aston Quay in Dublin and getting the bus into town to sneak a peak at the condom counter in there when they first went on sale in 1990 :eek: :D

It was such a huge deal at the time.

Also, here's a snippet from the Gay Byrne radio show around that time. Enjoy :D

Interesting article in the Journal too with Richard Branson talking about his arrest for condom sales in Ireland :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭cali_eire

How far Ireland has come ... and now you just have to go to Lidl :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

r3nu4l wrote: »

I remember the absolute Holy scandal of the Virgin Megastore on Aston Quay in Dublin and getting the bus into town to sneak a peak at the condom counter in there when they first went on sale in 1990 :eek: :D

Heh, I remember that. I think I can even remember the section of the store where they sold them. It was upstairs at the far end of the floor from the escalators, over by one of those big bay windows that looked down over the Liffey. I think it might have been the section where they sold pc software or something, so had very little browsing going on or kids running around.

OT: I have to say that as much as I came to hate that Virgin Megastore by the end of its run, I kinda miss the place now. It really was like multimedia-cocaine compared to what was available beforehand. I sigh seeing it as a Supervalu nowadays. Same feeling with the one in New York. I went back to Times Square and it had been turned into a clothes-store. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hematocyte wrote: »
    Heh, I remember that. I think I can even remember the section of the store where they sold them. It was upstairs at the far end of the floor from the escalators, over by one of those big bay windows that looked down over the Liffey. I think it might have been the section where they sold pc software or something, so had very little browsing going on or kids running around.
    Yup, that's exactly where it was :)

I remember sneaking a peak and being almost afraid of getting caught looking over there at "the condoms" :pac:
    OT: I have to say that as much as I came to hate that Virgin Megastore by the end of its run, I kinda miss the place now. It really was like multimedia-cocaine compared to what was available beforehand. I sigh seeing it as a Supervalu nowadays.
    Yeah, for it's time it was an amazing store, nothing else like it in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Remember a pair of oul batchelor farmers wondering aloud if 'condoms' were something you'd eat!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hank Schrader

Mrs Dalton :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mdn

I remember going into a pharmacy, asking for a packet, and being told by the sour-faced male pharmacist 'NO, we dont stock them'!
    Then again, the RC Church railed against contraception legislation, while at the same time thousands of their 'religious' were involved in the sexual and physical abuse of children.

Advertisement