Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Question On a Honda Integra

Options
  • 06-11-2013 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

Hi if im insured on a 206 Peugeot and deicide to switch over to a dc2 type r integra , can the insurance refuse me ?

im 23 Full clean lisence .

5 year NCB

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Your current insurer must offer you a quotation. You mightn't like the figure if they don't like the car. An alternative insurer may be your best option

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

im not currently insured lol

i done quotes for the dc2 and quotes of upto 2000 are coming back !!!

so if i insured my mums low liter car and switched over to the Teg a week or 2 later would that work

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

pudzey101 wrote: »

so if i insured my mums low liter car and switched over to the Teg a week or 2 later would that work

In my short experience, no. They'll charge you the extra amount to amount to the original quote. Couldn't you get her to setup a policy on the Integra, and go as a named driver? Paying for her, and yourself..?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Mister Man wrote: »
    ... Couldn't you get her to setup a policy on the Integra, and go as a named driver? Paying for her, and yourself..?
    You must think insurance companies are total eejits.

Mister Man wrote: »
    In my short experience, no. They'll charge you the extra amount to amount to the original quote. Couldn't you get her to setup a policy on the Integra, and go as a named driver? Paying for her, and yourself..?

would that work ? how much cheaper would that work out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

What a devious and cunning plan, what could go wrong!

dobsdave wrote: »
    What a devious and cunning plan, what could go wrong!

nothing really as i know quite a few at it

mathepac wrote: »
    You must think insurance companies are total eejits.

They must be. I know people who are currently doing what I just said, without a problem.
    would that work ? how much cheaper would that work out?

Couldn't say. No experience doing it myself. Couldn't be any worse then €2000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Or find an insurer that will give you third party extension.
    I've used it to drive cars much more powerful than the car I was insured on and had it confirmed by liberty/Quinn to say that I was insured.
    In fact I'm still insured to drive any privately owned roadworthy car with the owners permission but it's since lost its novelty as I'm nearly quadrupled my bhp!:D

When I transferred insurance from the polo to the alfa, I had to pay extra (not much) to cover the increased risk. The biggest determinant on the cost isn't age, it's your Ncb.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

The main insured driver has to have an insurable interest in the car for them to be insured is what I was told.

• Advertisement

Scortho wrote: »
    I've used it to drive cars much more powerful than the car I was insured on and had it confirmed by liberty/Quinn to say that I was insured.
    In fact I'm still insured to drive any privately owned roadworthy car with the owners permission but it's since lost its novelty as I'm nearly quadrupled my bhp!:D

When I transferred insurance from the polo to the alfa, I had to pay extra (not much) to cover the increased risk. The biggest determinant on the cost isn't age, it's your Ncb.

ya i think il insure the girlfriends car , ring them up a week later tell them its gone and i have a dc2 bought :) cant refuse me by law once iv a policy with them right ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

ya i think il insure the girlfriends car , ring them up a week later tell them its gone and i have a dc2 bought :) cant refuse me by law once iv a policy with them right ?

Provided your girlfriend will register the car in your name first.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ybn6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They may well ask for silly money to transfer the policy over to the Integra though. So that may leave you in a situation where you bought a car you cannot afford to insure.

bazz26 wrote: »
    They may well ask for silly money to transfer the policy over to the Integra though. So that may leave you in a situation where you bought a car you cannot afford to insure.

what about going under the parents name on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Insurance companies are not dumb, they know young drivers are getting their parents to add themselves as the policy holder and then add their child as a named driver who in reality is the main driver. So more than likely they will put limitations on the policy of such a car, around named drivers such as minimum age, driver's license type and number of years driving experience. Failing that they will just increase the premium so much that it will become unaffordable to add a young driver to drive the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

slippery slippery road that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

No but they can absolutely ride you at renewal time. A friend tried this with a Celica a few years ago and got quoted something like ten grand at renewal.

Do not buy this car unless you have an absolutely watertight guarantee of an insurance quote that you can afford. Because I can tell you from experience you are going to have a very hard time insuring an Integra for anything resembling a reasonable amount of money, especially at your age.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What about driving what you can afford to insure until you get a bit older and the premium drops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Just buy the car OP, you seem to have every angle covered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Scortho wrote: »

Not really advisable. The dc2 seems to be the most stolen car in Ireland with the amount of threads across forums. The last thing I'd want to do is spend 3-4k only for some scrote to burn or steal it. The third party extension is just that, no fire or theft protection.

For what its worth I'm 24/ 4 yrs ncb and full since 08 and I'm paying just under 800 fully comp with liberty on a 02 Honda Integra Type R (DC5 Import)

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    For what its worth I'm 24/ 4 yrs ncb and full since 08 and I'm paying just under 800 fully comp with liberty on a 02 Honda Integra Type R (DC5 Import)

Im with Liberty also, but they will no longer take on new business for a car like a DC2 until the driver is over 30.

Can lock this up got insured on it for 685 :D

Fair play. Who quoted you that? Is it fully comp?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

I'd say he got "insured" on it! :P

Can lock this up got insured on it for 685 :D

Fair play. How'd you get that, if you don't mind us asking..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

That's a good quote, I found it hard to get under €800 on a Vti Civic

Advertisement