Numb hands and pins and needles. - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-10-2013, 10:33   #1
Supachip

Numb hands and pins and needles.

Hi all,

I am fairly new to cycling but have managed to cycle some reasonable distances (50/60km), at the start suffered from a sore backside but wearing two pairs of shorts has sorted this.
What seems to be holding me back now is after around 20 miles or so my hands start to go numb and suffer from pins and needles, this happens with or without gloves.
Do I need to change my riding position ? any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Advertisement
28-10-2013, 10:41   #2
Beasty
Searchin' for segments ....

Are you using drop handlebars? Vary your position on the bars - ride on the drops, hoods and simply with your hands wrapped around the top of the bars to give some variation.

I suffer this particularly in my right hand riding the track, probably when my grip is quite tight. I try taking my hand off and shaking it just to loosen it up a bit which also helps
Thanks from:
28-10-2013, 11:00   #3
Supachip

Hi Beasty,

Yes they are dropped handlebars and I have tried all the things you suggested, obviously i get some relief when i shake my hands out and get the blood back into them but five minutes later the pins and needles/numbness is back.
I'm wondering am I putting too much weight on my arms, but to put less weight on my arms would mean riding in a more upright position.
28-10-2013, 12:05   #4
Brian?

Send a message via MSN to Brian?
I'd get a bike fit done.
(2) thanks from:
28-10-2013, 12:16   #5
mamax

Have you ever had any back or neck injury ?
If yes then you might need to be careful as it could be a disc/nerve problem but as said get fitted for your bike would be the first thing to do and take it from there.
Advertisement
28-10-2013, 12:53   #6
Beasty
Searchin' for segments ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamax View Post
Have you ever had any back or neck injury ?
If yes then you might need to be careful as it could be a disc/nerve problem but as said get fitted for your bike would be the first thing to do and take it from there.
Before anyone tries to diagnose any medical condition, please note that seeking or providing any medical advice is not permitted on Boards

OP, if it persists I would suggest getting yourself checked out at your doctors.
Thanks from:
28-10-2013, 15:05   #7
jinkypolly

Sounds like you need a proper bike fit. I suffered from something similar until I realised that my saddle position was too far back and thus my hands were bearing too much weight. I sorted it by bringing my saddle forward and working on strengthening my core through specific excercises.
28-10-2013, 15:12   #8
No Pants
Closed Account

Are you using actual cycling gloves, ones that come with padding?
28-10-2013, 15:36   #9
feck sake lads
Closed Account

is your saddle to far back also make sur its level.
no harm putting a good quality gel bartape on even double it up.
be sure your elbows are slightly bent and your nor leaning to far over handlebars.

other than that i havent a clue
Advertisement
28-10-2013, 17:44   #10
Supachip

Thanks to everyone, I think I'll get a bike fit done and hopefully that will help,
thanks again for all your advice.
28-10-2013, 18:25   #11
New2bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachip View Post
Thanks to everyone, I think I'll get a bike fit done and hopefully that will help,
thanks again for all your advice.
Hi Supachip I have the exact same problem fairly new to the sport myself but manged the 80k ride with Nicholas Roche in Cork last week after about 50k I could hardly feel my hands anymore but just ploughed on as there were no stops in that particular ride

I do put this down to a bulging disc in my neck a result of years of playing rugby but I have seen on here a few times about getting a proper bike fit would be well worth the mula best of luck with it!!
28-10-2013, 22:30   #12
Wishbone Ash

Quote:
my hands start to go numb and suffer from pins and needles,
Quote:
when i shake my hands out and get the blood back
Without wishing to appear give medical advice, it more than likely caused by a trapped nerve rather than blood flow.
28-10-2013, 22:32   #13
Konkers

Not mentioned by anyone so I'll say it. Make sure that your gloves are not too tight or small. Your hands will swell (like your feet) after a few Km's, this can cause the nerves between the bones in your hands to become pinched, numbness will set it and then pain.

Or as Beasty said above gripping the bars to tightly could do the same thing.
28-10-2013, 22:37   #14
Wishbone Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konkers View Post
Make sure that your gloves are not too tight or small. Your hands will swell (like your feet) after a few Km's, this can cause the nerves between the bones in your hands to become pinched, numbness will set it and then pain
Happens without gloves.

Quote:
this happens with or without gloves
29-10-2013, 00:25   #15
mamax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Ash View Post
Without wishing to appear give medical advice, it more than likely caused by a trapped nerve rather than blood flow.
As I mentioned in post #5
A ruptured disk can lead to nerve damage which leads to those symptoms, so I'd advise seeking professional medical advise along with a bike fit.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion