Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Krakow

Options
  • 13-10-2013 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi

I along with my siblings are considering organising a holiday to Auschwitz for ourselves and our parents. We would be travelling for probably 3 nights in early July 2014. I was wondering has anyone else been in this city?

Could you recommend somewhere to stay? We are very interested in going to Auschwitz and the salt-mines. Has anybody other suggestions as to what to do in Krakow? As our time is limited, we want to try and get as much done as possible. We like to be active on holidays and be doing things all the time during the trip I have heard that visiting Auschwitz is a very harrowing experience but also very worthwhile.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Was there January with OH, and went to Oswiemcim (Auschwitz) and Wielichka sic (Salt Mines), not usually into shopping but we did a lot in Krakow, lots of shopping centres and its generally a very nice city to stroll around. You definitely wont be bored over 3days.
    For hotel, we stayed in the Queen Boutique Hotel, it was fantastic, best hotel we have ever stayed in and cheap too, like Krakow in general.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I always stay in the Hotel Kazimierz when I'm in Krakow. It's in the Jewish sector just south of Wawel castle and always has good prices for bed and breakfast.

If you are interested in the name and number for a very reliable taximan who will pick you up, drop you at your hotel and organise tours for you himself, PM me and I'll pass on his number. Other boardsies have used him. If time is a factor for you, it's handy to be able to do your tours at a time suits you, rather then wait on the bus tours. He will do an Auschwitz/Wieliczka double tour in the one day. I found it useful to get out to Auschwitz before the fleets of buses arrive.

Plenty to do in Krakow - shopping, eating, drinking. There's a Da Vinci painting in the castle. It's lovely in high summer, with free concerts daily. Very civilised city.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

How about an apartment:

http://www.krakowapartments4rent.com/

I used this crowd, they were excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

spurious wrote: »
    I always stay in the Hotel Kazimierz when I'm in Krakow. It's in the Jewish sector just south of Wawel castle and always has good prices for bed and breakfast.

If you are interested in the name and number for a very reliable taximan who will pick you up, drop you at your hotel and organise tours for you himself, PM me and I'll pass on his number. Other boardsies have used him. If time is a factor for you, it's handy to be able to do your tours at a time suits you, rather then wait on the bus tours. He will do an Auschwitz/Wieliczka double tour in the one day. I found it useful to get out to Auschwitz before the fleets of buses arrive.

Plenty to do in Krakow - shopping, eating, drinking. There's a Da Vinci painting in the castle. It's lovely in high summer, with free concerts daily. Very civilised city.

Are you talking about Bob? :D Would second him. Everything in Poland is so cheap when my friend and I went over we used taxis all the time and normally we are on such a tight budget. He even did an early morning airport run for us, and we found it cheap for two so cheap as chips for you lot :)

Have done Auschwitz and Saltmines and would recommend going to both early in the morning as both are very popular. Krakow is a fantastic city, I can't wait to go back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The guy I know is called Adam, but I'm sure there are other reliable guys.
    Unfortunately there is a right taxi racket goes on in Krakow, so it helps to know a genuine person. I first met Adam when he warned me about only getting in an official taxi.

One of the most frequent scams is 'taxis' waiting across the road from the train station and Galeria Krakowska, with signs like Taxxi and Tuxi on their cars.They will fleece you royally on even a short fare and you have no comeback as they are not real taxis. The real taxis go from the other side of the Galeria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

The guy I know is called Adam, but I'm sure there are other reliable guys.
    Unfortunately there is a right taxi racket goes on in Krakow, so it helps to know a genuine person. I first met Adam when he warned me about only getting in an official taxi.

One of the most frequent scams is 'taxis' waiting across the road from the train station and Galeria Krakowska, with signs like Taxxi and Tuxi on their cars.They will fleece you royally on even a short fare and you have no comeback as they are not real taxis. The real taxis go from the other side of the Galeria.

I heard about Bob from friends of mine that went and he's top notch. Didn't know about that racket as we just booked bob for everything so perhaps best to get the name of a reliable driver if that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

I stayed in The Hilton Garden Inn. We did the tour to Auschwitz and they tour guide collected & dropped us of at our hotel.

For things to do in Krakow : Take a hold and cart ride that goes from the main square. It is very pretty!
    Go to the Castle. You don't have to pay ( we didn't anyways!) we just walked around the grounds though.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭navigator

Krakow is a wonderful town, one of the best in Europe in my opinion, a sort of a 'Prague' with much less tourists and chaos.
    Don't miss the amazing 'Lady with the Ermine' by Leonardo da Vinci.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aliciaalice88

Hi

I along with my siblings are considering organising a holiday to Auschwitz for ourselves and our parents. We would be travelling for probably 3 nights in early July 2014. I was wondering has anyone else been in this city?

Could you recommend somewhere to stay? We are very interested in going to Auschwitz and the salt-mines. Has anybody other suggestions as to what to do in Krakow? As our time is limited, we want to try and get as much done as possible. We like to be active on holidays and be doing things all the time during the trip I have heard that visiting Auschwitz is a very harrowing experience but also very worthwhile.

Thanks
    I have been many times in Krakow. My parents lived there before they have come to Paris. I visited Auschwitz not one not two but three times. This museum was the most important place , that I ever seen before. Everything what was happening during the war should be remembered. People have to remind to each other about important history. I don't know how can people do it another. I think, that everyone, especially young people have to been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Rdwrer

Hi,

Can you tell me if I would get a legit taxi from the airport to the city for a reasonable price or should I book something before I go? I saw a site yesterday advertising for taxis for €4 each which seemed very good. There will be 6 of us.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi,

Can you tell me if I would get a legit taxi from the airport to the city for a reasonable price or should I book something before I go? I saw a site yesterday advertising for taxis for €4 each which seemed very good. There will be 6 of us.

Thanks

That's a fair enough price - on the cheap side of standard. Book before you go.
    They will be waiting for you with a sign.

Have you considered the train? It's back up and running - 2 euro each.
    http://www.krakowairport.pl/en/passenger,c70/transport-parking,c76/how-to-get-to-krakow-airport,c77/train,a1680.html

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Rdwrer

I was just looking at the train but wasn't sure if it was back up and running. If it is, then that is probably the best option. Thanks.

Advertisement