Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Scenic stolen in Firhouse, Dublin.

Options
  • 07-09-2013 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Stolen from outside house in Ferncourt.

Just putting here on the very off chance that someone may have seen / see it parked up somewhere or deserted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

very unusual car to be stolen .... is all keys in present ? or key was stolen ? me thinks criminals wouldnt use it as a getaway car. will keep eyes pealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

House was broken into...

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Merl1n

Was just the car taken

A couple of laptops, camera, possibly wedding ring / watch, tablet etc also taken. The car is the main thing obviously...

Thanks for taking the time to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

zaphodbeeb wrote: »
    A couple of laptops, camera, possibly wedding ring / watch, tablet etc also taken. The car is the main thing obviously...

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Given the standard of the car, it was probably just used to move the stolen property out of the area. I'd imagine you probably have a good chance of getting it back as a result. Had a Volvo V70 turn up near by, merely used as a getaway car from a house robbery 15 mins down the road.

• Advertisement

Just wondering how long it took to show up?

Thanks for the post.
    ironclaw wrote: »
    Given the standard of the car, it was probably just used to move the stolen property out of the area. I'd imagine you probably have a good chance of getting it back as a result. Had a Volvo V70 turn up near by, merely used as a getaway car from a house robbery 15 mins down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

aphodbeeb wrote: »

Thanks for the post.

If it is parked in illegal or odd position it will draw attention. If in a car park or parked on road with parking it will look normal so will go unnoticed for much longer.

Im not sure what the wait period is with insurance company before they will pay out
    I think it is 5 or 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Thanks for the post.

It wasn't mine nor was I connected to it. However it was parked in an unusual place i.e. It was blocking a neighbour and no one knew who it was. So it was called in and turned out to be stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, in this kind of case the vehicle is just for transport, it's not really worth the hassle of trying to shift it on. It's probably already been ditched; a car is the most trackable thing they can steal, so they won't hold onto it very long.
    Similar happened to a builder family friend of ours. They robbed the house and took his van (and tools), then used the van to rob 3 more houses that night before ditching it locally. They had it back the next day because the builder's name was on the van and someone rang to complain about his parking :D

On the flipside my sister in law had her fiat 500 taken for the same reason and it tooks them two weeks to find it abandoned at the bottom of some random estate. If it's not in the way, people won't complain, so nobody knows it's there.

In both cases though the vehicle was no more than 1km from where it was taken. I would get a map and plan a route that takes you in and out of every estate. You should be able to cover every estate in Allenton, Ballycragh, Killinarden and Kiltipper in about two hours and in the unlikely event it doesn't turn up there, then take a drive around Firhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

seamus wrote: »
    In both cases though the vehicle was no more than 1km from where it was taken. I would get a map and plan a route that takes you in and out of every estate. You should be able to cover every estate in Allenton, Ballycragh, Killinarden and Kiltipper in about two hours and in the unlikely event it doesn't turn up there, then take a drive around Firhouse.

If you plan to drive around download an app called ViewRanger to an android phone from which you can track your routes. You'll have a handy map showing where your haven't been.

• Advertisement

They say they'll phone us by end of week to see if we want to buy it back.

Got 5k ish from them .. will be interesting to see what they want. Wheel / tyre damaged, other than that messy but possibly ok...

Anyone any experience of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

They say they'll phone us by end of week to see if we want to buy it back.

Got 5k ish from them .. will be interesting to see what they want. Wheel / tyre damaged, other than that messy but possibly ok...

Anyone any experience of this?

Insurance companies have no interest in holding on to recovered cars and just want rid of quickly. It is often sold back at very reduced price so can be worth buying back if it can be fixed cheaply.

If a key is missing youll need new key card and car reprogrammed. Expensive by renault dealer.
    Wheel damage is often only visible signs of impact. Suspension and underbody will need to be checked. Dispite all the bad things renaults can be tough car and survive a little abuse

Advertisement