Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Che Guevara mural removed, offends American tourists

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Any idea how long its been there?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Palmach

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Any idea how long its been there?

It was there for a week. In reality it was ore Irish people getting offended because they thought Yanks ould be offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

Surprised that they can move so quick when they want to. Why can they not move so quick to do the litter collections they are supposed to do in Fanore beach etc.

golden8 wrote: »
    Surprised that they can move so quick when they want to. Why can they not move so quick to do the litter collections they are supposed to do in Fanore beach etc.

Same in Kilkee. The shelters along the walks in Kilkee were covered in graffiti yet for years the Council have done nothing. They then painted out the mural and in a move that shows what a bunch of shleeveens they are they painted over the graffiti in the shelters. Administration by complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

what americans.. ??? how many ? who cares what unknown unnamed people from another country think. This must be a PR stunt. The council cant be that weak minded.

• Advertisement

what americans.. ??? how many ? who cares what unknown unnamed people from another country think. This must be a PR stunt. The council cant be that weak minded.

Actually rumors are that a summer home owning Barrister complained and threatened various dire legal consequences. Some minion in Áras Chontae and Chláir heard the word barrister and shat themselves with fright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭golfball37

I would say that 90% of Americans don't know who Che Geuvara is and the other 10% the majority know he never did anything to America.

This was an Irish person seeing a problem where there wasn't one and nothing else.

Should Arsenal tear down the Emirates staudium because it was built by the Bin Laden group?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

If I was living back home I'd go paint another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

[-0-] wrote: »
    If I was living back home I'd go paint another one.

like the old lady in Italy with her fresco !!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

Should Arsenal tear down the Emirates staudium because it was built by the Bin Laden group?:([/QUOTE]

off topic i know but YES!(they might eventually win something:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I hope someone paints 10 for every one they remove!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

his heart was in the right place

but his methods were a bit psycho/sadistic

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Another mural of Che Guevara has been painted to replace the one that the council painted over.

http://www.clarechampion.ie/index.php/kilkee-rebellion-backs-che-mural/

Good on 'em ..... hopefully there will be many more in the coming week or two!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I don't really see the artistic merit in this anyway. It's just a stencil you could throw together in 15 minutes. I know the image was made by a man from Kilkenny (I think?) but it's gone past the point of iconic to cliche. If I never saw it on a t-shirt or college students wall again I wouldn't miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭golfball37

I don't really see the artistic merit in this anyway. It's just a stencil you could throw together in 15 minutes. I know the image was made by a man from Kilkenny (I think?) but it's gone past the point of iconic to cliche. If I never saw it on a t-shirt or college students wall again I wouldn't miss it.
    He drew the picture in Kilkee, which is something to promote regardless of politics imo

It was not a stencil.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭TommiesTank

Don't really understand why there was a mural of a terrorist to start with. Maybe that's what you should be asking?

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭TommiesTank

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter!

Tell that to his victims. They didn't see much freedom.

• Advertisement

Tell that to his victims. They didn't see much freedom.

I despise communists as much as the next fella but Che was not a terrorist. He did go around blowing things up. He was a guerilla fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: Keep the thread on topic or it gets closed.

The topic is the mural and not what Che Guevara may or may not go down as in history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

golfball37 wrote: »
    He drew the picture in Kilkee, which is something to promote regardless of politics imo

If you are referring to Jim Fitzpatrick, he made the image in 1968 quite a number of years after meeting Che Guevara in Kilkee. The image is based on a photograph taken in 1960 in Cuba by a Cuban photographer. The Kilkee connection is very tenuous at best but, sure, these are hard times!

Balagan wrote: »
    If you are referring to Jim Fitzpatrick, he made the image in 1968 quite a number of years after meeting Che Guevara in Kilkee. The image is based on a photograph taken in 1960 in Cuba by a Cuban photographer. The Kilkee connection is very tenuous at best but, sure, these are hard times!

He met Che in Kilkee which was Che's only Irish visit. The photo was Guerillo Heroic by Alex Korda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Palmach wrote: »
    He met Che in Kilkee which was Che's only Irish visit. The photo was Guerillo Heroic by Alex Korda.

The compulsory stop over meant that a lot of people came whether they wanted to or not!

Nice piece here, with video, from RTE last year about the September 1963 visit to Kilkee. http://clarelibrary.blogspot.ie/2012/02/che-guevara-in-kilkee-september-1961.html

The above piece refers to him being on a stop over in Ireland more than once and the late Arthur Quinlan, the Limerick journalist who wrote for The Irish Times, recalls interviewing him at Shannon Airport in March 1965 following which Che Guevara visited to Limerick. http://www.irlandeses.org/quinlan.htm

Balagan wrote: »
    The compulsory stop over meant that a lot of people came whether they wanted to or not!

The plane couldn't take off and the only place to get a hotel was Kilkee. I remeber the Ennis to Kilkee road back then and the journey must have brought him back to the jungles of South America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

like the old lady in Italy with her fresco !!

She was Spanish and she's now making a good living as a famous artist and minor celeb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

When does graffiti become a mural then? You want the CC to paint over the ones on the bus stops but not the ones on gable ends?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

They said in the Clare People today that a couple of new murals have popped up on private property in the town since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

They said in the Clare People today that a couple of new murals have popped up on private property in the town since.

Bet it wasn't done by or with permission of the owners

Advertisement