Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What course should I choose in Computing in AIT

Options
  • 31-08-2013 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have been accepted in two courses in Athlone Institute of Technology and I don't know which one to choose.

The first course is Computer Engineering (Level 7) for 3 years and an extra year can be added on in Software Development (Level 8 Honors Degree).
    Computer Engineering Link:
    http://www.ait.ie/aboutaitandathlone/courses/bengincomputerengineeringabinitio/

The next course is Software Development (Games Development Level 8 Honors Degree) with a duration of 4 years.
    Software Engineering Link:
    http://www.ait.ie/aboutaitandathlone/courses/bschonsinsoftwaredesigngamedevelopment/

I have searched for jobs online and it appears most of the jobs require Java and to be familiar with HTML, C+ and other languages, which Software development seems to cover.

There are a few things I would like to know
    - Which course is more demanding (i.e. difficulty)
    - Which course would have a better future in finding a job and being successful
    - Is either of the courses enjoyable (I enjoy working with computer and learning new things, which course would provide better information)

I cannot decide which course is better than the other and I would appreciate anyone helping, preferably with past or current experience in either courses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

You may want to check out a few of the comments I've made already on the software development / games design course here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056834816

Which course is more demanding (i.e. difficulty)
    I'm a bit wary in answering if a course is difficult or demanding as I don't particularly want to turn people away from it however I have given some advice in that post which should not be taken too literally or seriously.

Which course would have a better future in finding a job and being successful
    Both would to be fair. Simply doing a programming language in general opens up tons of doors that could be related to any sector as far as the job market goes, or at least that's my opinion.

Is either of the courses enjoyable
    Unless you've done something similar in the past I don't think you'll know before you try. There is a system in place that I'm not too read up on however that means you can drop out before a certain time and still be able to get a grant if you go for a college course again, and as far as I'm aware you have a bit of wiggle room to transfer to another similar course if it's possible in the first year or so.

I find it enjoyable anyway, the game development course that is. There's a bit of a preconception that if you like playing games you'll like game development, it really has nothing to do with it though. I like bread, that doesn't mean I like baking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Unknown1157

Ill be doing software design and hopefully it is the right choice. Im not intending on playing games all day buy rather more curious about programming.

I just have another question, are the teachers there helpful. By this I mean do they cover everything at a steady speed or would it be hard to keep up with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

I'd say go for the 4 year game dev course. Honestly, you have a better chance of getting a job with a level 8 degree

Does anyone know if a laptop is required for the course. I have a very good desktop, but is a laptop necessary for taking notes and programming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

You can't go wrong with either option as you end up with a similar enough degree with equal opportunities for each (if you do the fourth year add-on that is). I did the Level 8 Software Development add-on and I know some people who went the Games Development and Web Development route we all had near enough the same job prospects. It all comes down to where your interests lie. If you have a keen interest in gaming technology then go the gaming route. If you have an interest in computer engineering go that route and do the one-year software add-on afterwards.
    Does anyone know if a laptop is required for the course. I have a very good desktop, but is a laptop necessary for taking notes and programming?
    A laptop wouldn't be required but I strongly recommend you do get one. They're great for working on in class instead of having to save your work onto a USB key and bring it home. It's also good to have it with you to work on projects or assignments between lectures when you have the time.

• Advertisement

Are the teachers there helpful.

Big time, I wouldn't be where I am now without the support I got from the lecturers this year. Had a bit of a rough year and thought I'd fail at least one of my modules but with the help and understanding from the lecturers ended up passing everything.

We've one hell of a good maths teacher too which really makes the difference.

A laptop wouldn't be required but I strongly recommend you do get one. They're great for working on in class instead of having to save your work onto a USB key and bring it home.

Funny enough after I broke my external hard drive I found myself emailing all my work to myself this year. Then just logging in on the computers (which normally it's the same one for each class) and just downloading the email attachment.

I'd save all my code into a word document and just email draft it to myself. Cloud storage might be another good option too perhaps? As far as the lectures go (projector, no computers you sit there for the hour and take it all in) a refill pad and a pen is all you need really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Funny enough after I broke my external hard drive I found myself emailing all my work to myself this year. Then just logging in on the computers (which normally it's the same one for each class) and just downloading the email attachment.

I'd save all my code into a word document and just email draft it to myself. Cloud storage might be another good option too perhaps? As far as the lectures go (projector, no computers you sit there for the hour and take it all in) a refill pad and a pen is all you need really.
    Depends on how much code you have as well. If you're working on a larger project with multiple files and classes that's going to become a bit of hassle, but if you're working on a single Java or C++ class or a small program it should be no problem. That's why I prefer the BYOD approach as you can quickly pack up and resume right where you left off at any time, but each to their own.

There's some cloud-based development environments like Cloud9 and Cloud IDE that are worth looking into, or you could even just copy your code into Google Docs.

Aye that's what we did last year. The entire project was handled using google docs which the lecturer actually told us to use. We basically made a large java based database connecting into a mysql database. All handled over google docs from the planning phase right down to programming it.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their replies, you have all been really helpful.

• Advertisement

Just wanted to thank everyone for their replies, you have all been really helpful.

If you need a hand with anything be it course related or not feel free to drop me a private message and I'll do my best to help.

Advertisement