Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Email on Samsung S4

Options
  • 28-08-2013 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Please someone help me before I throw this phone out the window!!!!

I got the Samsung S4 at the weekend and proceeded to set up both my Gmail and Eircom emails on the email app on the phone. I had used both through my Blackberry and never had any problems. The Gmail is working great of course but I can only receive email to my Eircom mail, I can't send from it.

Now, here's where it gets messy. It's an Eircom email (@eircom.net) but my broadband provider is Sky. I'm with Three on my phone (if that makes any difference) I figured since the outgoing messages are the problem then the outgoing settings are the problem. So should my outgoing settings be Sky email settings even though it's not a Sky email?

I found this online http://help.sky.com/email/set-up-sky-yahoo-mail/get-emails-on-your-mobile-or-tablet#tab-1?country=ie so I set the outgoing settings to:
    smtp.tools.sky.com with Port 465
    Make sure the Security type is set to “SSL (Accept all certificates)”.

This doesn't work either. Can anyone help please????????????????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Does the S4 not have a generic email client included aswell as the phone? Should be a matter of inputting eircoms setting to that....

Another option maybe is to login to gmail on your PC and setup the eircom mails to be forwarded direct to your gmail account?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 nato

Thank you for your reply. Is the generic email client not the email app? You'll have to forgive me, I'm pretty clueless with this. When I got the phone there was already an email app on it that I very simply went into and set up both email accounts on. It wasn't until I tried to send a reply to an email I received on my Eircom address that I knew there was a problem as I instantly got a "sending failed" message.

With regards setting it up to come through Gmail, I didn't even know I could do that, are there any cons involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 nato

Just to say I've set it up through Gmail as I couldn't figure out any other way. Many thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

The issue here is that you need to set up Three's smtp server for the eircom.net email account for it to work on the mobile data connection on the phone.

But it may need to be changed to Sky's smtp server when on your wifi at home

But if you are then using another internet connection it may not work with either Three's or Sky's smtp server as they usually only allow connections from their respective networks to stop spammers using their servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Blindside87

I have had the same problem with every other email other than gmail. This leads me to just forwarding everything to my gmail..it works grand but it is messy as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

nato wrote: »
    Please someone help me before I throw this phone out the window!!!!

I got the Samsung S4 at the weekend and proceeded to set up both my Gmail and Eircom emails on the email app on the phone. I had used both through my Blackberry and never had any problems. The Gmail is working great of course but I can only receive email to my Eircom mail, I can't send from it.

Now, here's where it gets messy. It's an Eircom email (@eircom.net) but my broadband provider is Sky. I'm with Three on my phone (if that makes any difference) I figured since the outgoing messages are the problem then the outgoing settings are the problem. So should my outgoing settings be Sky email settings even though it's not a Sky email?

I found this online http://help.sky.com/email/set-up-sky-yahoo-mail/get-emails-on-your-mobile-or-tablet#tab-1?country=ie so I set the outgoing settings to:
    smtp.tools.sky.com with Port 465
    Make sure the Security type is set to “SSL (Accept all certificates)”.

This doesn't work either. Can anyone help please????????????????

Are you still an eircom customer??

You say your BB provider is Sky, does that include phone and Broadband??

And your Mobile is with Three, so not eMobile or Meteor, eircom subsidiaries?

When you had the Blackberry, who was your BB provider??

I ask because according to the eircom support, eircom email/webmail is for eircom customers....[that is for abcd@eircom.net email address]

http://www.eircom.net/email/signup.jsp

Have you tried the eircom webmail for mobile, on your mobile browser.....

http://www.eircom.net/mobile-edition/mobile-webmail/

http://m.eircom.net/webmail

you could try that, to see if you still have access to send mail via the eircom system/mail servers.

Also, have you tried setting up your gmail to send mail, using your eircom email SMTP credentials??

Or you can use gmail's smtp servers, which is easier to set up...see below:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/22370?rd=1
    Sending mail from a different address

Gmail lets you send messages with another of your email addresses listed as the sender instead of your Gmail address. This feature helps you manage multiple accounts from the Gmail interface; it works only if you already own the email account linked to the alternate address. To send mail from a different Gmail username, you'll first need to sign up for that address. Select an option below for instructions on how to add your other addresses to your Gmail account.

I'm a Gmail or Google Apps user sending from an external address.

Click the gear in the top right.

Select Settings.

Select the Accounts tab (or Accounts tab, if you're using Google Apps).

Under Send mail as, click Add another email address.

In the 'Email address' field, enter your name and alternate email address.

Choose one of two options:

Use Gmail's servers to send your mail (this is easier to set up)

Use your other email provider's SMTP servers (we recommend this option for professional mail accounts or domains).

If you choose to use Gmail's servers:

Click Next Step >> and then click Send Verification. Gmail will send a verification message to your other email address to confirm that you own it.

Open your other account and either click the link in the message Gmail sent or enter the confirmation code in the Accounts section of your Gmail settings.

If Gmail sends a verification email and you didn't receive the it, the message was probably caught by a spam or bulk mail filter in your recovery email system. Try checking your Spam or Bulk Mail folders for a message from account-verification-noreply@google.com to see if the email ended up in there.

Your Gmail address will still be included in your email header's sender field, to help prevent your mail from being marked as spam. Most email clients don't display the sender field, though some versions of Microsoft Outlook may display "From yourusername@gmail.com on behalf of customaddress@mydomain.com." For this reason, if you don't want 'on behalf of' to appear in any of your messages, we recommend using the SMTP servers of your other email provider.

If you choose to send mail through another domain's SMTP servers:

Enter the SMTP server (e.g. smtp.domain.com), your username on that domain, and your password for that account. You may also need to adjust your port setting or SSL setting (talk to your other ISP if you need this information).

Click Add account >>

Open your other account and either click the link in the message Gmail sent or enter the confirmation code in the Accounts section of your Gmail settings.

Your other email provider has to provide authenticated SMTP support for you to use this option. We'll use TLS by default, or SSL if you enable it. Many email services that provide POP or IMAP support also offer authenticated SMTP support, and you can likely find your SMTP server configuration instructions alongside information about POP or IMAP.

See pic below of Gmail Settings/Accounts/Send mail as:

gmail_send.jpg

Synchronise Gmail on your mobile after setting up the eircom email to send with Gmail, and when you compose new email, you should be able to send as either your gmail, or your eircom email, [if you still have it??]

Also, see here for info on eircoms mail servers...

E-mail settings:
    Mail server type: POP3
    Incoming mail server: webmail.eircom.net
    Outgoing mail server*: mail1.eircom.net

OR Webmail access: http://webmail.eircom.net

*Note: If you are NOT using an eircom net connection, you MUST use your internet provider's own SMTP server OR eircom webmail.

Note, the most important thing is the bolded bit above....

so, use your providers SMTP server, or use the eircom webmail.....

or use Gmail, as shown above, to send your eircom e-mails....

Advertisement