Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quickest headphone mod ever - cork mod on JVC HA-S500

Options
  • 12-08-2013 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I was bored this morning while waiting on my Mac to reinstall OSX decided to have a peek inside my pair of HA-S500. I found no damping inside and I had some cork from modding my ATH ES-700 I've put some inside of JVC.

Whole process is fully reversible and took me 10 minutes.

1. What is required for the mod:

IMG_2125.jpg

2. Take off the pads and cover the holes with a piece of cellotape - this will protect the membrane from screws accidentally damaging it:

IMG_2126.jpg

3. Unscrew 3 screws:

IMG_2129.jpg

4. Cut the cork so it will fit nicely in hollow space behind the driver:

IMG_2130.jpg

5. Fit the piece of cork in the place.

IMG_2132.jpg

6. Put the driver back, install screws and the pads - done!

Result - more controlled bass, mids and highs moved a bit forward- I like it. Like I've said it is fully reversible and took me less than 10 minutes.
    If anyone wants to try the mod I have some cork left (2 or 3 sets) that I can share for free. PM me with for details (first come first serve)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Why cork?

Just curious; also wondering what other materials are used in mods (felt?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Cork has good sound proofing and dampeing capabilities, it is a wood in sense. It gave very good results in my ES-700 mods and I've got some for free from my brother.

I've got the idea from ES-7 and ES-700 mod:
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/645649/the-new-ath-es700/510#post_9508769

Other materials than diy-ers can use is fibre glass, felt that you have mentioned, blu-tac.

Advertisement