Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celbridge AC 5km Road Race, Sund 18th August, 10:30am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 DazzyR

I did this race last year and have been looking forward to returning to it. Thankfully the injury problems have settled down so now a wedding 2 days before will be the only difficulty.
    This is a really well run race and a very quick course which is downhill/flat throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭MaroonTam

A cheeky little bump on the thread. Just over a week. Sign up in advance or pay on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Is this just for competitive/club athletes, or is it also suitable for joggers?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭MaroonTam

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Is this just for competitive/club athletes, or is it also suitable for joggers?

the event is suitable for all. walkers and joggers all welcome. since the course is pretty flat, it would make a great first event for people.

some folks are having issues with the active online sign up. if you are, send me a PM with your nam and we will investigate. you can also sign up on the day.

ZV here are the results from last year.
    http://www.redtagtiming.com/results/Celbridge5km_2012.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

DazzyR wrote: »
    ZV here are the results from last year.
    http://www.redtagtiming.com/results/Celbridge5km_2012.pdf

Thanks for this - I'd be aiming to hit 25-26 mins, so I'll definately sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Probably my favourite race of all of last year, fantastic effort put into it by the club. I'll unfortunately have to give it a miss this year with the national league final, but will be back in future yrs!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 j23c

Hey spot prize up for grabs for the the 10 entry online from now
    http://www.runireland.com/active/all-events

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Thanks to all the organisers for yet another fantastic Celbo 5k.

Particularly liked that there were no meter markers up the avenue this year, it always seems long enough as it is!

Smashed last years result by over 3 mins and got a new PB to boot, yay :D

Actually one small issue. It seems I was handed himselfs number at the registration desk and he mine, meaning I got a super duper PB and he got mine which is good for me but he could have done on one leg. He is not a happy camper :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭Trampas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fiona44

Great race today & well organised!
    Very happy with my 2 second PB!

I found it got quite congested on the narrower parts of the course and the poles in the middle of the path along the 2nd kilometre nearly ended my race a couple of times when I nearly ran straight into them!

But the route was nice (definite pb potential) & there was a good atmosphere at the finishing area!
    The post race massage was much appreciated also!

Also thanks for getting the results up quickly :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Trampas wrote: »

Nice win for heffsarmy!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 j23c

If you can send me both names I can get it sorted out for you. Glad you enjoyed the race and sorry for the mix up.

Toulouse wrote: »
    Thanks to all the organisers for yet another fantastic Celbo 5k.

Particularly liked that there were no meter markers up the avenue this year, it always seems long enough as it is!

Smashed last years result by over 3 mins and got a new PB to boot, yay :D

Actually one small issue. It seems I was handed himselfs number at the registration desk and he mine, meaning I got a super duper PB and he got mine which is good for me but he could have done on one leg. He is not a happy camper :D

Well done to all involved, this is a very enjoyable race and a quick course. The stewarts and organisers are all very helpful and cheery.

One small issue which should be looked at is moving runners on to the footpath after they leave Castletown House. Running on the footpath is a extremely difficult because of the number of signposts and bollards which you wouldn't see until too late if you are in a big group. Crossing junctions on the footpath also disrupts your stride. Pedestrians and cyclists were another obstacle. After about 3k we just moved back onto the road. A short lane closure should be applied for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 karlmc1978

Just to inform you on a few points. It was the intention of the club to run the entire race on the road with the road closed to traffic for the duration of the race. The Gardaí and the county council will not authorise the closure of the road for the race and there is nothing we as a club can do about this as it is not our decision. At the first roundabout which is where the Celbridge link road meets the M4 (approx. 1k into race) the Gardaí insisted that the runners run on the path on health and safety grounds because of the speed of cars coming from the m4 a busy motorway onto the link road. The path is quite wide at that point and is in good condition. When the race reached the maxol garage (roughly 2.5k into the race) runners were directed back onto the road
    as the path is too narrow for the duration of the race. I accept that running on the path is not ideal during a road race but unfortunately there is no way as a club that we can avoid it this time as the Gardaí were adamant that this was to happen and we need their help in order to facilitate the smooth running of the event. However as a person who runs that stretch of road on a regular basis. It is easier to run on that path than on the roads in many of road races.
    DazzyR wrote: »
    Well done to all involved, this is a very enjoyable race and a quick course. The stewarts and organisers are all very helpful and cheery.

One small issue which should be looked at is moving runners on to the footpath after they leave Castletown House. Running on the footpath is a extremely difficult because of the number of signposts and bollards which you wouldn't see until too late if you are in a big group. Crossing junctions on the footpath also disrupts your stride. Pedestrians and cyclists were another obstacle. After about 3k we just moved back onto the road. A short lane closure should be applied for next year.

Advertisement