Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaining about a GP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

What's the nature of the complaint?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Kevster wrote: »
    What's the nature of the complaint?

The main issue I have with a doc is that he wont let me get blood tests done. Theirs a condition I think I may have but the only way to rule it in or out is to have a blood test done but he says I dont need them. This is same doc that misdiagnosed a skin condition I had and gave me unnecessary medication.

Hes the sort of doc that thinks hes always right even when he has been proven to be wrong.

Is their anyway I can make him to allow me to have the blood tests I want done at his clinic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

No there isn't is the short answer.

If you are unhappy with your care, would you consider seeing another GP?

Vorsprung wrote: »
    No there isn't is the short answer.

If you are unhappy with your care, would you consider seeing another GP?

I've seen other GPs at the clinic and their equally useless, I think this doc may have wrote something on my file to say I'm some sort of hypochondriac.

Do you know if I'm entitled to see all the notes these docs may have wrote about me ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Imperial_Ldn

It's incredibly easy to make a complaint. Write to the IMC and complain http://www.medicalcouncil.ie/Public-Information/Making-a-Complaint-/Making-a-complaint-about-a-doctor.pdf

Whether you have grounds for a complaint is a completely different story. He doesn't think you need a blood test, he is a doctor. You are not a doctor and think you need a blood test. I wonder what the test is , must be fairly expensive otherwise he wouldn't be putting his foot down, Is it a genetic test for a disease? hemochromatosis ? something much rarer?

I suspect you mean the IMC (Irish Medial Council) rather than the IMO (Irish Medical Organisation) which is a trade union. Vorsprung

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Jumboman wrote: »
    I've seen other GPs at the clinic and their equally useless, I think this doc may have wrote something on my file to say I'm some sort of hypochondriac.

Do you know if I'm entitled to see all the notes these docs may have wrote about me ?

Doctors don't write personal insults in the patient files if you're wondering. They only note down patient concerns, lab results, changes, history etc... Change your gp if you're not happy.

Re: requesting medical notes, I think the data protection acts apply, so you'd need to put your request in writing.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/legal_matters_and_health/access_to_medical_records.html

As suggested above, if a GP doesn't think a blood test is indicated, he or she isn't obliged to refer you for it.

I'll add that I'd prefer that no-one asked the OP about his/her personal medical circumstances, there's no obligation to give that info out (and it'll get tht thread locked).

If it turns out that my GP may have over looked a serious illness would I have grounds to sue him ?

If it's legal advice you're looking for, you'll need to consult a solicitor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Imperial_Ldn

Jumboman wrote: »
    If it turns out that my GP may have over looked a serious illness would I have grounds to sue him ?

I think you should decide what your issue is. Is your issue not getting a test done, not getting a diagnosis, not getting appropriate treatment or is your issue the attitude of your GP. How would sueing him get you a better diagnosis? Why would a health science forum help you sue someone who is acting properly who you've taken a personal dislike to?

• Advertisement
Advertisement