Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling Huawei Ascend G510 owners

Options
  • 21-06-2013 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭

getting constant dropped calls, got it replaced .. new phone doing same thing .. anyone else same issue ??

from reviews on voda website here : http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones-and-plans/phones/pay-as-you-go/phone-details/huawei-ascend-g510-black

2 of them have the following :
    Thought this phone was great until on most calls after a few seconds the caller couldn't hear me but I could hear them. Returned first phone and the replacement did exactly the same. Didn't want to risk getting a third one so got my money back. If that problem hadn't occurred I would've definitely recommended it as I was sad to give it back but the constant dropped calls were so frustrating

I bought this phone 6 days ago and it is a fine phone until i started using it in work on Monday as i am constantly on the phone. the problem is the amount of dropped calls i am getting. it doesnt seem to be every perosn that rings or i ring but some people more than others. sometime before the call drops i can hear the person but they cant hear me and then the call will drop of i have to cancel and re-dial. i am going back to Vodafone shop today to request a replacement handset. i will see if i get one. If the new phone has no dropped calls i would reccommend this phone for the price.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Do you have a case for it? I was having the same issue until someone on mondaco mentioned that the 510 has two mics. The case I bought was covering the 2nd Mic. I drilled a hole in the case for the Mic and haven't had an issue since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Qwerty? wrote: »
    Do you have a case for it? I was having the same issue until someone on mondaco mentioned that the 510 has two mics. The case I bought was covering the 2nd Mic. I drilled a hole in the case for the Mic and haven't had an issue since.

thanks .. yes do have a case .. trying now

• Registered Users Posts: 15,055 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I just got a g510 last week and have had the dropped call problem a couple of times.

On all occasions however I either put the phone to my shoulder (to do something with my hands) or touched the volume buttons at the same time.
    Is the second mic at the back before the flash LED ?.

I just got a g510 last week and have had the dropped call problem a couple of times.

On all occasions however I either put the phone to my shoulder (to do something with my hands) or touched the volume buttons at the same time.
    Is the second mic at the back before the flash LED ?.

Yep, thats the one, it was completely covered by my case, and since drilling a hole in the case, I haven't had the sound issue since (Touch wood).

Celtic Oz - has this solved your issue?

Yep, thats the one, it was completely covered by my case, and since drilling a hole in the case, I haven't had the sound issue since (Touch wood).

YES .. thanks :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 BingBangBoody

Hi,

I purchased the same phone less than one month ago and I'm having the same problem with people not hearing me. It happens on almost all calls after a minute or two of the call being activated. Unlike you guys I don't have a case on my phone.
    The phone initially had a few problems: Memory was an issue as was albums disappearing from the phone randomly.
    Vodafone shop sent it back for a check/repair and it came back with NO faults. They updated the sim card which eliminated the memory/album problem but the call problem is still there.
    The only way I can hold on to the call before people hang up thinking I'm not there is to hit the loudspeaker button and this will 'reactivate' the call, but then it goes again.
    Vodafone say because no fault was found they won't refund or exchange the phone. It's hugely frustrating.
    Anyone offer any advice??? Please!!!!

Hi,

I purchased the same phone less than one month ago and I'm having the same problem with people not hearing me. It happens on almost all calls after a minute or two of the call being activated. Unlike you guys I don't have a case on my phone.
    The phone initially had a few problems: Memory was an issue as was albums disappearing from the phone randomly.
    Vodafone shop sent it back for a check/repair and it came back with NO faults. They updated the sim card which eliminated the memory/album problem but the call problem is still there.
    The only way I can hold on to the call before people hang up thinking I'm not there is to hit the loudspeaker button and this will 'reactivate' the call, but then it goes again.
    Vodafone say because no fault was found they won't refund or exchange the phone. It's hugely frustrating.

Is there any chance you are covering either of the Mics with your fingers at the start of the call or during the call?

Problem came back .. giving this phone back, pity.

celtic_oz wrote: »
    Problem came back .. giving this phone back, pity.

Hi
    Did you return the phone and how did you get on.

The problem has started happening on mine now a lot, and nothing is covering any mic that I am aware of.
    I have looked around the internet and there does not seem to be anything out there about this being a common problem

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Sorry for hijacking the thread.
    A different problem has arisen with my G510. Over the last few days every time I turn it on a Pop-Up saying 'unfortunately android keyboard has stopped' appears. This means I can't use the phone for anything except making calls and using apps which I have already installed. If I try to text/Google/add contacts etc the Pop-Up comes back and won't let me use the keyboard.
    Any ideas how to sort this? Thanks.

• Advertisement

Sorry for hijacking the thread.
    A different problem has arisen with my G510. Over the last few days every time I turn it on a Pop-Up saying 'unfortunately android keyboard has stopped' appears. This means I can't use the phone for anything except making calls and using apps which I have already installed. If I try to text/Google/add contacts etc the Pop-Up comes back and won't let me use the keyboard.
    Any ideas how to sort this? Thanks.

Try using the Huawei keyboard that is already installed
    Go to settings to set it as the default
    Or you could install a different keyboard from the Google Play store

Hi,

I have tried that too and it has worked so far, might be the only workaround available

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Try using the Huawei keyboard that is already installed
    Go to settings to set it as the default
    Or you could install a different keyboard from the Google Play store

Cheers. The Huawei keyboard did the job.
    Still curious as to why the other one has stopped though.

Dropped this into the Vodafone shop a few weeks ago and got it back last week.

the problem of the other party not hearing me seems fixed, they said they did a sw upgrade, and the phone seems to me running a bit slicker since I got it back.

Happy all round.

Dropped this into the Vodafone shop a few weeks ago and got it back last week.

the problem of the other party not hearing me seems fixed, they said they did a sw upgrade, and the phone seems to me running a bit slicker since I got it back.

Happy all round.

Any hassle since? Mine is now dropping the mic on every call over 9 minutes. Pretty sure its an issue with the proximity sensor and the screen been off.

Any hassle since? Mine is now dropping the mic on every call over 9 minutes. Pretty sure its an issue with the proximity sensor and the screen been off.

I am loosing audio on some calls but far less than previous
    Can you elaborate on your theory of the proximity sensor and the screen been off ?
    I'd like to try and identify a pattern and try to debug this myself and be armed with that sort of info before going back to the shop with it

• Registered Users Posts: 45 abi sant clare

Anyone having problems texting on this phone? I prefer using the old fashioned way of texting ie 9 Key configuration but any words i save to my dictionary wont come up when using the 9 Key which means i've to type in towns, surnames, curse words, one letter at a time which is annoying!:mad: Any words that i have saved appear if using the qwerty but i really dont want to use that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 noddy747

Hi am having problem with FM radio no response on touch screen any ideas ?

I am loosing audio on some calls but far less than previous
    Can you elaborate on your theory of the proximity sensor and the screen been off ?
    I'd like to try and identify a pattern and try to debug this myself and be armed with that sort of info before going back to the shop with it

Sorry, only saw your post now.

What I have found is that if I occasionally (every minute or so) remove the phone from my ear so the screen lights up again, I don't get the mic issue. If I keep phone to my ear I get the mic issue....:mad:

I'm looking into unlocking it and trying a custom rom, I see CM10 is on the way

Sorry, only saw your post now.

What I have found is that if I occasionally (every minute or so) remove the phone from my ear so the screen lights up again, I don't get the mic issue. If I keep phone to my ear I get the mic issue....:mad:

I'm looking into unlocking it and trying a custom rom, I see CM10 is on the way

I was on a 45min call yesterday with it and the other party lost audio a few times, to get it back I would put on the loudspeaker, I would talk away on the loudspeaker and then it would revert to 'non loudspeaker' on it's own after a while.

Putting a custom rom on mine is something I want to do anyway to get rid of the bloat, but I am wary that it would invalidate the warranty and I would like to try and get to the bottom of this problem once and for all, but if putting a custom rom on it would fix it I would do it in a flash (excuse the pun)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 reynolli

How can I vew my call log of received phone calls ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Have been considering the G510 against the Sony Xperia J.

I think my mind is made up now.

I can still be swayed though..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Got a system update pushed through today on mine .. supposed to address some stability problems it said. We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Alun wrote: »
    Got a system update pushed through today on mine .. supposed to address some stability problems it said. We'll see.

Any updates on this? Has the software upgrade worked for ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭djtwigster

Mine is starting to drop calls now after a month, very frustrating,did anyone find a solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Carri

Mine drops calls too.

I've had another issue with not being able to text/call on a fair few occasions until I reboot the phone completely. It's a pain. When it first started happening I thought I was out of credit or something. Putting through a call results in a beep before the call cuts off and texts just don't send. Anyone have this issue?

Carri wrote: »
    Mine drops calls too.

I've had another issue with not being able to text/call on a fair few occasions until I reboot the phone completely. It's a pain. When it first started happening I thought I was out of credit or something. Putting through a call results in a beep before the call cuts off and texts just don't send. Anyone have this issue?

Yep, I have had that issue for a few months now

Dropped the phone back to Vodafone three times since the summer, twice with this problem, and once with the problem where people could not hear me on the other end.

Vodafone policy is that if a fault is found three times with a phone they give you a new handset.
    So I got a new handset as it was my third time returning it.

And low and behold, the problem is happening on this handset also.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Was actually thinking about picking one of these up. But I'll pass on it now after reading this thread. For an extra few bob I could get a nexus 4 second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Avoid huawei like the plague. The drop call ike they're hot

• Advertisement
Advertisement