Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC MMDS In Cork

Options
  • 15-05-2013 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

Is there anybody in Cork City with UPC MMDS. Unfortunately it is the only method of multi channel tv available to me at the moment. I rang UPC yesterday and they were very vague about what channels it actually provides.

Is the channel lineup the same as regular cable with the exception of HD? Also what's the picture quality like on it.

I am only weighing up my options at this time. Saorview and broadband is proving to be more than adequate for now.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fear corcaigh

I had mmds a few years ago and got rid as soon as I could of at the time. There was only about 15 channels, not sure what its like at the moment, though I couldn't imagine it being much better.

Saorview, FTA and a good broadband connection are a much better option especially if you are not looking for the extra channels like movies and sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Yeah. Sadly a satellite dish isn't an option :(

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fear corcaigh

If you are any way savvy with computers get a raspberry pi install xbmc and connect it to TV or just install it an PC, its great for watching the online content, you just need to install a few extra bits of software freely available, lots of tutorials on line
    You can also watch the UK TV through a proxy, from my experience I I would avoid MMDS, for the cost and the few extra channels you get compared to saorview its not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

lertsnim wrote: »
    I rang UPC yesterday and they were very vague about what channels it actually provides.

All MMDS licences expire at midnight on 18 April 2016 and won't be renewed. UPC are now in the process of winding down the service and have little interest in it. Really only keeping the service ticking over to delay 40,000 odd UPC subscribers becoming Sky subscribers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

The Cush wrote: »
    All MMDS licences expire at midnight on 18 April 2016 and won't be renewed. UPC are now in the process of winding down the service and have little interest in it. Really only keeping the service ticking over to delay 40,000 odd UPC subscribers becoming Sky subscribers.

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

I was an mds subscriber in cork city up until august of last year. The packages are slightly cheaper by 1.50 compared to a cable subscriber but the channel line up irrespective of it being digital max or select was poor. I didn't want to go to sky so got rid of it for a combo of fta and saorview glad I did as i was paying just under €40 a month including multi room. Every year UPC would say my side of the street would get cable but never happened. My advice don't bother if you can only get upc tv on mds you cant get get broad band or phone either at your address.

BTW Still waiting a year later for them to remove the aerial, despite contacting them they were pretty quick to ask and collect the two black boxes though. My account is still in credit with them as well still waiting for a refund!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

kooga wrote: »
    BTW Still waiting a year later for them to remove the aerial, despite contacting them they were pretty quick to ask and collect the two black boxes though.

I don't think they'll be back for the aerial, similar thread here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84196137, http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056929407

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

kooga wrote: »
    I was an mds subscriber in cork city up until august of last year. The packages are slightly cheaper by 1.50 compared to a cable subscriber but the channel line up irrespective of it being digital max or select was poor. I didn't want to go to sky so got rid of it for a combo of fta and saorview glad I did as i was paying just under €40 a month including multi room. Every year UPC would say my side of the street would get cable but never happened. My advice don't bother if you can only get upc tv on mds you cant get get broad band or phone either at your address.

BTW Still waiting a year later for them to remove the aerial, despite contacting them they were pretty quick to ask and collect the two black boxes though. My account is still in credit with them as well still waiting for a refund!

Yeah. I will use saorview and broadband for any UK tv stuff I want to see. Broadband is a bit slower to what I'm used to but it will do.

Advertisement