Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torque wrenches.

Options
  • 13-04-2013 12:28am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How many carbon framed bike owners here own/use a torque wrench?

I recently bought myself a full carbon bike, a 2012 Felt F5, and I have fallen deeply in love with it. However, at every fixture point on the bike, there is a specific Nm marked on the frame. When I bought the bike, the LBS owner did a very quick bike-fit for me. However, I would like to tinker with the fit slightly more. Do I really need a torque wrench to do so?

FYI, I'm a skinny wristed little guy. I find it hard to believe I could really tighten a bolt so much I could snap the carbon. I've ridden the bike on some really horrific roads, and the bike has flew over them easily, so I have no doubts about the quality of the bike's carbon weave.

If they are really necessary, could somebody recommend one that would be easily available?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Flandria

I think a torque wrench is 'must have' kit. There are various options but x-tools do one at 2-24Nm which is reasonable http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11142

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I use one of these for adjusting stems and handlebars.
    Fixed rating but ideal for those parts.
    For everything else I'll use a proper torque wrench.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Mechanic365

Get some class of torque wrench because you will say to yourself "yes thats nearly tight enough" then youve done the tighten til you loosen trick. Writing from expierience

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Konkers

Flandria wrote: »
    I think a torque wrench is 'must have' kit. There are various options but x-tools do one at 2-24Nm which is reasonable http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11142

Have this one. No complaints. Easy to use. 30 quid for piece for mind when taking care of the one u have fallen deeply in love with.

I recalls a torque wrench thread a few weeks back. Definitely other recommendations there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

bolts will need a specific tension if they are to remain tight, typical 70%+ of yield.
    you are much stronger than you think! you can easily rip the head of a m4 70 bolt which has a yield measured in 100s of kg's.
    carbon isn't great with point loads so I'm not sure if you would feel it yield before you've damaged it.
    just my 2c

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

carbon bike, and have a torque wrench, bought within a couple days of getting the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Donelson wrote: »
    bolts will need a specific tension if they are to remain tight, typical 70%+ of yield.
    you are much stronger than you think! you can easily rip the head of a m4 70 bolt which has a yield measured in 100s of kg's.
    carbon isn't great with point loads so I'm not sure if you would feel it yield before you've damaged it.
    just my 2c

There's also the problem of uneven tightening. Tighten four stem bolts by hand and one of them will be tighter than the others creating a stress point in the carbon below.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭bikermartin

I think a torque wrench is 'must have' kit. There are various options but x-tools do one at 2-24Nm which is reasonable http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11142[/QUOTE]

do you know where to get an adaptor for the 1/4 drive to 3/8 drive for the allen keys. i have the x tools tool kit but it has 3/8 drive keys :mad:

i was going to return the torque wrench but havent given up on the adaptor yet :confused:

or if you have a link to 1/4 allen key set :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Flandria

I think a torque wrench is 'must have' kit. There are various options but x-tools do one at 2-24Nm which is reasonable http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11142[/QUOTE]

do you know where to get an adaptor for the 1/4 drive to 3/8 drive for the allen keys. i have the x tools tool kit but it has 3/8 drive keys :mad:

i was going to return the torque wrench but havent given up on the adaptor yet :confused:

or if you have a link to 1/4 allen key set :confused:

Any decent tool supplier will have them. McQuillans, Fox Engineers, Reliance...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

I got an adaptor in halfords

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Any decent tool supplier will have them. McQuillans, Fox Engineers, Reliance...

I have the Xtools one and McQuillans didn't have the adapter. I got it in a little shop called R.J. Gough & Co around the corner on Mary Street Little. Really helpful man.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭bikermartin

tried Halfords......dont have it ......blah......blah.........blah...... woodies were even less helpful.

ordered it on e bay today for 12 usd delivered ;) so may get to use the tool i bought a few months ago :D

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭The Big Lebowsky

On a bicycle you should only be using a 1/4 inch torque wrench...
    The very best torque wrenches are made by Norbar and Teng...

MOD VOICE: pointless after this

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Oh gee thanks. :rolleyes:

I love that bike, it took me a long time to save for it, and I don't appreciate that one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Got one of these fellas:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=60766

The lads in the shop were using one of these so that seems like a good enough recommendation. Bit pricey but I got it included in the purchase of the bike. I'd recommend getting a good quality tool for your own peace of mind. A lot of the tightening ratings are a good strong wrench, but when you're dealing with carbon, you want to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Swiss Tools do a very good digital torque wrench. Bit pricey but I use the one from work (on my alu frame, as I don't have carbon yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

MOD VOICE: Quoting deleted post

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

Oh gee thanks. :rolleyes:

I love that bike, it took me a long time to save for it, and I don't appreciate that one bit.

+1

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Back to the thread, thanks everyone for the advice, I'll try to hunt down a good torque wrench this week! One with a low range I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just got this in my email for those of you with access to parcel motel (think its uk only shipping

Sealey 3/8-inch sq 2-24nm/1.47-17.70lb.ft Torque Wrench Micrometer Style Drive

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000RO1ZCG/ref=pe_115941_35716501_email_1p_0_ti

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

A slightly contrarian point re torque wrenches. There are several variables when it comes to tightening a bolt, and the applied torque is only one (although the most most important one). The condition of the threads on the bolt and the receiving end are also important.

So if the threads are dirty/rusty/damaged then you could hit the recommended torque and still not have the fitting tight enough. Conversely if you grease the threads on a bolt because it was hard to remove last time, and then tighten it without paying too much attention to what you are doing, (because you think the torque wrench will do the thinking), then you can strip the threads or damage the fitting before reaching the recommended torque setting.

I did the second one of those :mad:.

The moral of the story is to pay as much attention to what you are doing when using a torque wrench as when using regular allen keys. It's not a magic wand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Have never used a torque wrench on a bike in my life,either steel,alloy or carbon framed.Not to mention bolts/components,which can be steel,stainless, alloy,Ti or nylon. Common sense should be enough for anyone.As long as your not a ham-fisted gorilla,a loose grip on the allen key/rachet and a gentle nip-up will do fine. Its a bike after all,not a tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Have never used a torque wrench on a bike in my life,either steel,alloy or carbon framed.Not to mention bolts/components,which can be steel,stainless, alloy,Ti or nylon. Common sense should be enough for anyone.As long as your not a ham-fisted gorilla,a loose grip on the allen key/rachet and a gentle nip-up will do fine. Its a bike after all,not a tractor.

I don't agree with that. I read an feature on cycling news about 2 years ago where a number of very experienced mechanics who went on feel and were confident they didn't need to use torque wrenches were tested.

They fitted various components to what they felt was an appropriate tightness. The torques were subsequently measured and they varied massively, in most cases being way too tight, far exceeding the manufacturers recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

having popped the heads off some titanium bolts (ok i was using them in the wrong place) and mashed the heads on other ones i use a torque wrench now, also i find my hollowtech cranks creak less when torqued correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Important to note, your torque wrench should be stored unloaded (ie set to 0 Nm) so that the mech is not under continuous compression.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

I purchased this one
    http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=20794&categoryID=722

and here's a review
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/tools/wrenches/product/review-giant-tool-shed-torque-wrench-35229#user_reviews

Good bit of kit at that price,probably around the same go as the BBB one but little cheaper.

It recommends to store 2-6 nm

Advertisement