Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a watch?

Options
  • 11-04-2013 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭

Hi all, the last watch I had was damaged and I was thinking of investing in a new one.

I'm looking for a watch that I can use all around, for work, home, activity and more while still looking nice and tidy. I tend to take my watch off a lot for various things and it has the potential for it to get a bit dirty and bashed about at work.

It has to be a mechanical watch with and with a leather strap, or something similar. Not too concerned about the smaller detailed. I don't know all that much about watches to be honest, but I quite like them so forgive me if some of my terms are off. Not too concerned about the smaller detailed.

My last watch was a Citizen, and I was quite fond of it so I think I want another citizen but I'm open to suggestions.
    My limit preferably €300 at most.

Some that have caught my eye are

http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-ir/watches/watch-detail/?model=CA0335-04E

http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-ir/watches/watch-detail/?model=BM8240-03E

http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-ir/watches/watch-detail/?model=CA0315-01E (love this, but its a bit expensive)

Just curious if what I see on the citizen website is a the full range they sell? I expected there to a bit more to be honest. Also, how much more or less would I be expected to pay in a jewelers in Ireland for these. I get the feeling like they may charge a bit more than whats stated on the website.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Citizen-Eco-Drive-Mens-Sport-Chronograph-Black-Leather-Strap-Watch-CA0315-01E-/380615400679?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item589e721ce7

Falls within your budget and seller appears to be legit. You may/may not be hit with customs charges.

Saying that though I probably wouldn't buy from that seller myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Anynama141

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Citizen-Eco-Drive-Mens-Sport-Chronograph-Black-Leather-Strap-Watch-CA0315-01E-/380615400679?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item589e721ce7

Falls within your budget and seller appears to be legit. You may/may not be hit with customs charges.

Saying that though I probably wouldn't buy from that seller myself.

Eh, I never order from Ebay or Amazon. Have done so before but a bit skeptical about it. I'd much rather order from an actual jewelers.
    How often do you find yourself needing your chronograph function?

Quite a bit. I work 2 seperate jobs in healthcare and sometimes like to record response times amongst other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Anynama141

Quite a bit. I work 2 seperate jobs in healthcare and sometimes like to record response times amongst other things.
    A lot of times folks want them just for appearances, but it sounds like you need it alright.

• Advertisement

Eh, I never order from Ebay or Amazon. Have done so before but a bit skeptical about it. I'd much rather order from an actual jewelers.

That's fair enough. You will generally pay over the odds however. A very significant majority of us here would tend to buy from eBay. With a little research you'll tend to find that there are plenty of decent reliable sellers who are legitimate and sell excellent items.

In terms of research, that's something we can help you with. The person I linked too was simply a quick link to see what pricing was at on eBay.

[/QUOTE]
    Anynama141 wrote: »
    A lot of times folks want them just for appearances, but it sounds like you need it alright.

I dont NEED it, but its a nice function.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

CA0315-01E from WatchShop for just under €300.

Nice looking watch, reminds me of a Hublot King Power.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 CALCUL

Hi guys.

I can address some of the OP's questions - hope that's okay by the mods as they don't relate to any direct sale.

1) You asked if a jeweller's price would be higher than those noted on the Irish portion of citizenwatch.
    I am not aware of any Irish jeweller who would do this - frankly I would be very surprised if they did, although of course they would be within their rights to price as they see fit.

2) You asked if the selection on citizenwatch.com represents every Citizen watch available in Ireland.
    The answer here is no - there are some additional models that aren't on the site, for a few reasons:
    • The site only features Eco-Drive watches, so our entry-level "normal" quartz battery models are not shown.
    • With a collection of the size of the Citizen one, there are large introductions and discontinuations at least twice a year. This means that a watch may be discontinued by us as the distributor, but may still be available at some jewellers who hold stock of it that they haven't sold yet. This happens all the time and isn't in any way reflective of the quality of the watch or anything like that - models simply get discontinued to make way for newer styles. The end-user's guarantee is valid from the date of purchase from an authorised retailer regardless of whether a watch is discontinued (by us) or not. Different jewellers will carry different ranges of course, and some will hold larger selections than others. Anything they don't have, they can order in from us, usually within a day.
    • Some models may run low on stock and if we know that they are going to be discontinued soon, they will be removed from the site rather than have somebody inquire about them only to be told they're no longer available.

Please be aware that Citizen collections vary greatly from region to region - so if somebody has seen a watch elsewhere that isn't shown on citizenwatch.com, it's always worth asking a jeweller about it. Even if we don't normally carry it, we may be able to get it in as a special order. Not always mind you, but very often (assuming the watch isn't discontinued on it's original market).

One final point - the OP mentioned that he's looking for a mechanical watch. Not sure if this was a typo as the watches he linked to are not mechanical, they are Eco-Drive. Unfortunately we don't carry any Citizen mechanical watches in Ireland at present.

For what it's worth, I personally think the first watch you selected, CA0335-04E, is the pick of the bunch - it's quite different to the rest of the collection but a very good looking watch. I love the brown strap on black case.
    Note that the second watch you picked, BM8240-03E, has a smaller case size than the other two. It's 36mm, vs 42 and 44mm for the 1st and 3rd.
    This is just because it's an older model, but it is a very popular one year after year. It's actually featured in a Guinness Christmas TV ad (although it's hard to make out).
    In general over the past few years, case sizes have been gotten bigger (as dictated by tastes/fashion). If you are choosing between these 3 watches, you should really see them in the flesh to judge the size difference.

Regards,

CALCUL
    Citizen Distributor, Republic of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Its good fun looking at watches online, but I would always want to buy a watch in the flesh at a jewellers.

I got my present Tissot for £177 at Gatwick Airport a few years ago and am very happy with it.

• Advertisement

CALCUL wrote: »

One final point - the OP mentioned that he's looking for a mechanical watch. Not sure if this was a typo as the watches he linked to are not mechanical, they are Eco-Drive. Unfortunately we don't carry any Citizen mechanical watches in Ireland at present.

Sorry about that. I mentioned I don't know a lot about watches so my terms can be wrong. I just use the word mechanical or analogue to differentiate between digital displays. I also wrote the post while in a rush last night so there is probably typos everywhere.

For what it's worth, I personally think the first watch you selected, CA0335-04E, is the pick of the bunch - it's quite different to the rest of the collection but a very good looking watch. I love the brown strap on black case.

Note that the second watch you picked, BM8240-03E, has a smaller case size than the other two. It's 36mm, vs 42 and 44mm for the 1st and 3rd.
    This is just because it's an older model, but it is a very popular one year after year. It's actually featured in a Guinness Christmas TV ad (although it's hard to make out).

In general over the past few years, case sizes have been gotten bigger (as dictated by tastes/fashion). If you are choosing between these 3 watches, you should really see them in the flesh to judge the size difference.

Yes I'm also leaning towards that watch. Not sure about the case sizes though. I think my last watch was a small enough.

The poster Anjobe linked http://www.watchshop.com/mens-citizen-chronograph-eco-drive-watch-ca0315-01e-p99945678.html?st=CA0315-01E above and I was surprised at how large it looks. Of course I will have to see them in the flesh before I make my decision but I something smaller may be in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Here's a list I've been compiling of chronographs lately that should be within your budget

Citizen CA0255-01E
    Citizen CA0335-04E
    Seiko SNDA65
    Junkers Cockpit JU52
    Seiko SSC081P1
    Seiko SSC075P1
    CASIO BEM506L BEM-506L-7AV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

CALCUL wrote: »
    This is just because it's an older model, but it is a very popular one year after year. It's actually featured in a Guinness Christmas TV ad (although it's hard to make out).......

Did we have a thread trying to work this out at Christmas? I certainly remember youtubing the ad and freezing it to try and make out what watch it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 CALCUL

Zagato wrote: »
    Did we have a thread trying to work this out at Christmas? I certainly remember youtubing the ad and freezing it to try and make out what watch it was.

I think we may well have - possibly not this Christmas just gone though (was it really almost 4 months ago?).

There was a Fix It Friday trying toidentify it a few years back as well, on Ray Darcy's Today FM show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Ah yes, I remember now. The watch must have been modded for the ad to display the month instead of the day.

Went ahead and got the http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-ir/watches/watch-detail/?model=CA0335-04E after trying it on.

Going to pay for it in full and have it next week :)

Advertisement