Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Way to Learn French

• 19-03-2013 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

I am looking to learn french myself online. Anyone know if there is a good course I can do. I know I can google it but I want a recommendation.

I just want spoken french but am aware that I will have to learn how to write also and I am willing to invest time in it. I just want to do at a time that suits me as I work shift so I can't commit to a class as I work evenings and they change all the time.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Alex152

Hi,
    I'm learning french too! I use online resources to learn. Have you heard to michel thomas? I think you can find his stuff on youtube.

To practice your speaking, I use Easy Language Exchange (easylanguageexchange.com), I've found lots of native speakers on here with whom I chat and video call with.

Then you also have apps that can help you.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭syntax1

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭niallcon4re

I STRONGLY recommend Michel Thomas. I found him brilliant for Spanish and I know he does French too. He wont' teach you much vocab likes numbers, days of the week etc but he'll teach you "I like it" and then "I would like it" and then "I would like if you could do it" and pretty quickly you learn so much of the grammar and just say "it" instead of learning lots of new words.

Once you understand the grammar, then you can learn vocab elsewhere and it fits in to the structure. He also doesn't confuse with terminology and just explains what it is e.g. the "wing tense" for "w..ing" to describe the type of past tense that says "I was running" (I still have no idea what the name of lots of tenses are but have no problem using them in Spanish)

He doesn't teach you spelling either.

Maybe you can get it from a library? I'm sure you can look online and find it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Alex152

If you want to you also download the Duolingo app! That's not bad, play it will when you have the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I got a free CD from Michael Thomas & while his background story & buzz is good, he didnt. " do" grammar ;

• Advertisement
Advertisement