Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biomedical science

Options
  • 28-01-2013 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

So i really want to do medicine or pharmacy but i doubt i'll get the points for either course. My back up course is bio medical science in UCC/cit.

are there many job prospects out of biomedical science and if so are the jobs interesting or does it get boring working in a lab?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

linconpark wrote: »
    are there many job prospects out of biomedical science and if so are the jobs interesting or does it get boring working in a lab?
    That's a very difficult question answer - it depends on the person and it depends on the lab they end up in. What one person finds boring, another might find stimulating.

Based on the brief overview of the course that I've just read, I would say there is a demand for the skill set that you would acquire by doing this course, but don't be overly focused on "job prospects" - what's in demand now may not be in five years and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fennellneil

Hi Linconpark,

I work in UL and there is a biomedical engineering course here. If you want to know what kinds of jobs you can get out of it you can find out on the website: http://www3.ul.ie/courses/BiomedicalEngineering.php.

Biomedical engineering is an area that is quite big at the moment. There are options to go into the line of work where you design medical devices, or design bio-materials. With the development of 3D printing and bioprinting, i think this is an area that is only going to get bigger. This is my opinion.

The prospects of an interesting job are up to you really. Obviously if you want job that is non-lab based they you would have to focus on that from the start. When you go to college, the career paths will become more obvious once you begin to understand what parts of the course you prefer over others.

If you want some more advice on this, the course Director's name is Michael Walsh and his email is <email snipped - can be found in college directory>. He would have no problem talking you through this.

Just as another option, there is an engineering choice course in UL. This allows you to do general engineering modules in year one and you can pick the area that you want to continue with. It might not be what you are looking for however.

I hope this was helpful.

Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

linconpark wrote: »

Yes working in a lab gets boring. Every job will have repetitive and boring aspects. Doctors get sick of giving the same advice to the same patients and seeing it ignored, pharmacists get sick of counting tablets and correcting prescription errors etc. you need to find out as much about the careers as you can and guess whether that would interest you or not.

The job prospects out of Biomedical Science are working as a Medical Scientist, research or further study. Working as a medical scientist the job opportunities are few and far between in the current climate. But there are diagnostic labs in all countries with developed western medical systems.

Advertisement