Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

06 Passat - Ignition Wire for a new stereo

Options
  • 05-01-2012 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

Recently changed the radio in my Passat to a better Pioneer double din unit. I used this fitting kit with a wiring harness and antenna adaptor. Problem is, the radio doesn't switch on/off with the ignition. The fitting kit didn't come with instructions but in the description on that link it says that the new radio needs to be wired to the ignition supply in the fuse box.

Question is, is this a difficult job to do? Does anyone have experience with this? If it's complicated I might try to get a fitter to have a look at it for me. Can anyone recommend one in Dublin/Kildare?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

That seems a bit odd. VW have generally been good at following the ISO standard for stereo connectors. You may have to swap the yellow and red wires in the ISO power adapter - most of them have inline plugs on both for this purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

If you have a testlamp or multimeter you will find a ignition source at the radio plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Thanks for the replies. I tried swapping the red and yellow wires yesterday but it makes no difference to the ignition performance. I agree that there should be some switching 12V source amongst the radio wires, as the original radio went on/off with the ignition. I was reading about it and it seems the on/off information comes through a CANBus in VWs, which is why I maybe need the ignition wire for the new radio. Don't really understand the whole CANBus thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

CANBUS is basically a network protocol that connects the different controllers within the car. VW OEM radios are diagnostic capable, and would be connected into this system. In VWs the whole lot is controlled from a CAN gateway in the instrument cluster.

So yeah, you'll need to run a wire from the fuse panel back to the stereo from the switched ignition. Offhand I don't know what terminal you'll need. You'll need to get your hands on the wiring diagrams for the car and see what's what. If the radio is being switched over CAN there could be a whole bunch of other stuff switched that way too so it's difficult to guess where to look for a switched 12V. Headlamps may be worth looking at though, or the power supply to relay 109.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Fiesta

Check if the cigarette lighter is switched on with the ignition, as far as I can remember it is. If so, you will just need a small amount of dis assembly, and you will be able to access the plug that goes into the rear of the socket.

It'll have 3 wires going into it, one of them should be ignition switched, one is earth, and the other is live when the lights are on, you'll need a multimeter or test lamp.

You can connect to this wire, bit of solder and insulation tape, and a fuse, and bobs your uncle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Got this sorted today. In case anyone else wants to do the same, the easiest source for a switched ignition signal is the wire to the passenger airbag light on the bottom of the trimming around the radio. You have to take this trim off to get the stock radio out anyway.

Going to this light are two cables: a ground (black) and a switched 12V (grey/black and white). Just connect a wire to the switched 12V and connect this to the red wire of the new radio. This wire will easily feed to the back of the radio cavity through a small hole just underneath - 50cm of wire is more than enough and there's no need to take off any other parts of the dashboard.

One thing is to make sure you don't disconnect the airbag light when the key's in the ignition, as this will raise an alarm that means you'll have to go to a garage to have it reset. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Fiesta

Not something I would ever do :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cleethorpes

Fiesta wrote: »
    Check if the cigarette lighter is switched on with the ignition, as far as I can remember it is. If so, you will just need a small amount of dis assembly, and you will be able to access the plug that goes into the rear of the socket.

It'll have 3 wires going into it, one of them should be ignition switched, one is earth, and the other is live when the lights are on, you'll need a multimeter or test lamp.

You can connect to this wire, bit of solder and insulation tape, and a fuse, and bobs your uncle.

Oddly the wire to the cig lighter illumination shows 12v then drops to 4 when the lights are switched on?

Advertisement