Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is it like converting to Islam?

Options
  • 02-02-2013 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

Hey

I am just wondering, every weekend there are those Muslim dudes outside the GPO on O'Connell Street trying to get people to listen to them, I think to try and get people to convert or "revert" . I have read the Koran and to be honest I have respect for Islam (like I do for all religions) , but I know its not for me.

But those who do it, do they stick to it, do they ever regret it, or do they think its the best decision they have ever made?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭whydoc

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭IRWolfie-

But those who do it, do they stick to it
    If they thought it was a mistake you probably wouldn't hear about it. Most Islamic scholars agree that the punishment for apostasy is death; so a de-conversion is not something you would expect people to announce. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostasy_in_Islam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 dead786

Islam is simple religion as compared to christian and Judaic.. It has no complexity... It was Islamic who were making progress when Christin and Jews were killing scientists/philosophers .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

dead786 wrote: »
    Islam is simple religion as compared to christian and Judaic.. It has no complexity... It was Islamic who were making progress when Christin and Jews were killing scientists/philosophers .

Progress? The type of progress that executes people for being gay, or executes people for insulting Muhammad? Islam as far as the big three religions go is way behind Christianity and Judaism in practice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 dead786

dlofnep wrote: »
    Progress? The type of progress that executes people for being gay, or executes people for insulting Muhammad? Islam as far as the big three religions go is way behind Christianity and Judaism in practice.
    Hi dlopnep, don't learn thing from twisted brain.. this net is full with propganda.. Use you own torch to find light...
    you have heard this name, Muhammad ibn Zakariya al-Razi, .He was a Persian polymath, a prominent figure in Islamic Golden Age, physician, alchemist and chemist, philosopher, and scholar. He was founder of medicine.. He said about quran
    On the Qur’an, Razi said:

You claim that the evidentiary miracle is present and available, namely, the Koran. You say: “Whoever denies it, let him produce a similar one.” Indeed, we shall produce a thousand similar, from the works of rhetoricians, eloquent speakers and valiant poets, which are more appropriately phrased and state the issues more succinctly. They convey the meaning better and their rhymed prose is in better meter. … By God what you say astonishes us! You are talking about a work which recounts ancient myths, and which at the same time is full of contradictions and does not contain any useful information or explanation. Then you say: “Produce something like it”?!

no one killed him, no one tortured him.. He remained at a higher post.. I have no idea what are you talking about.. See the golden age of islam.. Majority of Muslim countries, today, have lost their values.. Because of Britisher and western invasion into these lands... their hyena tactics have changed everything..

• Advertisement

Hi dlopnep, don't learn thing from twisted brain.. this net is full with propganda.. Use you own torch to find light...
    you have heard this name, Muhammad ibn Zakariya al-Razi, .He was a Persian polymath, a prominent figure in Islamic Golden Age, physician, alchemist and chemist, philosopher, and scholar. He was founder of medicine.. He said about quran

Al-Razi has been dead for over a 1000 years. Islam's cultural golden age was a long time ago; you can try and blame the west (as you did) but it doesn't change what it now is.
    Islam is simple religion as compared to christian and Judaic.. It has no complexity..
    Is being simplistic a good thing? I think Islam has just as much baggage as other religions, you have rules against eating pork, you believe in djinn, you take the Quran as the literal word of God etc etc (despite the dubious nature of its creation).
    no one killed him, no one tortured him.. He remained at a higher post..
    What happened to one person a 1000 years ago does not invalidate what happens to apostates now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

IRWolfie- wrote: »
    Most Islamic scholars agree that the punishment for apostasy is death; so a de-conversion is not something you would expect people to announce. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostasy_in_Islam

Oh, well that sounds fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭confusedquark

Apostasy and its punishment isn't black and white. There's no Quranic verse which specifically states the punishment for apostasy is death, and there are many prominent scholars out there who argue against it. The "Opposition to Execution" section of the wikipedia article cited above says as much.

... and there are many prominent scholars out there who argue against it.

I think it says a lot that there are only some scholars who argue against it, not all and not the majority. Compare that to any other religion.

I think it says a lot that there are only some scholars who argue against it, not all and not the majority. Compare that to any other religion.

Those who do advocate capital punishment for apostasy do so on the basis of Hadiths - alleged sayings/actions of The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), which were passed down from generation to generation by word of mouth until they were actually written down approximately 200 years after the prophet passed away.

At the time they were being written down, tens of thousands of Hadiths were discarded as being inaccurate/false, and the rest were kept - at the discretion of the compilers. Things they factored in when deciding which to keep and which to discard were the "chain of narration", whether the people who passed the stories down would have been reliable individuals, how good their memories were, and whether the stories sounded plausible, and the Hadiths were then further sub-divided as strong or weak.

Now we've all played chinese whispers and know what can happen over the space of a few minutes. Expand that to 200 years and a few generations - and no matter how well-intentioned people were, or how good a memory they had, or how good they were at articulating or listening, there's bound to be some changes from the original story.

I do still feel Hadiths are useful for explaining the context of certain verses in the Qur'an, but I would take them with a pinch of salt - and would certainly be very hesitant to go writing them into law, especially for issues which have no direct reference in the Qur'an itself.

Yes, many scholars do still rely heavily on them - but scholars, and sometimes many of them, can get things wrong. http://apostasyandislam.blogspot.ie/ gives a list of 100+ notable Islamic figures/scholars that affirm people are free to choose their faith, without having to face capital punishment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LostInDharma

Hey

I am just wondering, every weekend there are those Muslim dudes outside the GPO on O'Connell Street trying to get people to listen to them, I think to try and get people to convert or "revert" . I have read the Koran and to be honest I have respect for Islam (like I do for all religions) , but I know its not for me.

But those who do it, do they stick to it, do they ever regret it, or do they think its the best decision they have ever made?

--Imagine a time machine which could magically transport you back to the middle ages, that's Islam !

--Imagine a time machine which could magically transport you back to the middle ages, that's Islam !

You're entitled to your opinions and to disagree with however much of Islam as you want, but to make a blanket statement like that is just in bad taste. It doesn't take much to get your point across whilst still being constructive.

Yes, many scholars do still rely heavily on them - but scholars, and sometimes many of them, can get things wrong. http://apostasyandislam.blogspot.ie/ gives a list of 100+ notable Islamic figures/scholars that affirm people are free to choose their faith, without having to face capital punishment.

The problem is that we have to make lists of scholars who don't say you should face capital punishment. These scholars should be the vast vast majority, but they aren't (unfortunately). As such, the statistics from opinion polls in Muslim countries are often rather disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Lads,

Please stay on topic and answer the OP's questions. Islam bashers, you are not welcome here.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Hey

I converted 5 years ago. No regrets. Live much the same life except no alcohol, pork and only eat halal food.

The problem is that we have to make lists of scholars who don't say you should face capital punishment. These scholars should be the vast vast majority, but they aren't (unfortunately). As such, the statistics from opinion polls in Muslim countries are often rather disturbing.

I found the recent opinion poll that Fianna Fáil are the most popular party in the country again rather disturbing. Point being, public opinion (at large) is easily influenced - whether it's via the media, via their education system, or via their leaders (be they political/religious). Obviously that's not universally true, I'm talking in general terms.

Yes, you make a valid point about having to make lists, and what needs to happen for general consensus to change. But if one aspect of Islam is not being practiced as it should be, there's a problem with its followers - not with the religion itself. As I've explained above, I feel many scholars give too much weight to Hadiths, but that's my view, they won't agree with that, and will take a lot of convincing otherwise. The fact that there are a significant number of scholars (even if they are in the minority) saying something contrary to the rest, that's sufficient for me on a personal level to look at the evidence for and against and make up my own mind on the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 KerryIslamKIOS

If they thought it was a mistake you probably wouldn't hear about it. Most Islamic scholars agree that the punishment for apostasy is death; so a de-conversion is not something you would expect people to announce. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostasy_in_Islam

Imagine tomorrow you have a MI (myocaridal infarction) and you will ask a doctor what medicine is best for me to treat and he will say .. emm according to professor google, the best choice is xyz!
    Think what will be your response on that. When it comes to life and death, we will look for the best possible evidence but when it comes to religion, why you are not replying on the best authentic source. Best authentic source about any matter in Islam is Quran and in quran there is no where mentioned about the punishment of apostase is "death". There are several accounts at the time of prophet (peace be upo him) that where people changed their religion and they were not punished in any sense. Search for authentic source for any faith and create harmony and mutual respect please. Its lacking in muslims too so no one is perfect tbh! peace.

Definitely disagree with this pseudo proud attitude. Seems like its de ja vu then is it ?

dlofnep wrote: »

You want to give some evidence that Islam is the least practicing religion among three Abrahamic religions mate? Your argument lack evidence I am afraid.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/06/the_odd_body_religion/

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LostInDharma

You're entitled to your opinions and to disagree with however much of Islam as you want, but to make a blanket statement like that is just in bad taste. It doesn't take much to get your point across whilst still being constructive.

I think made my point in a very respectful manner thank you very much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭rambutman

Most Islamic scholars agree that the punishment for apostasy is death

Thats the problem with islam - a lot seems to ride on what "some scholars" say. I'd put good money on the majority of "good muslims" having never read the Koran and being dependent on what the heads up the local mosque offer as an interpretation.

Whats converting to Islam like - its OK as long as (if your male) you can handle a circumcision...............staying muslim though is another story.........well maybe not - its easy if you can unreservedly and unquestionably accept whatever you're told...............which i couldn't so i suppose its the death sentence for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Jeongeum

rambutman wrote: »
    Thats the problem with islam - a lot seems to ride on what "some scholars" say. I'd put good money on the majority of "good muslims" having never read the Koran and being dependent on what the heads up the local mosque offer as an interpretation.

Whats converting to Islam like - its OK as long as (if your male) you can handle a circumcision...............staying muslim though is another story.........well maybe not - its easy if you can unreservedly and unquestionably accept whatever you're told...............which i couldn't so i suppose its the death sentence for me!!
    If someone is a real muslim they will love islam an not question it because to them they believe its the truth

First of all, most of your claims are based on assumptions. Most muslim didnot read quran? That can tell only one thing that you do not know many muslim at all mate.

Secondly Islam is spreading as one of the fastest religion in US and UK plus to add in your amazement that majority of them are females. So again your assumption is not right. Most of the reverted Muslims in their accounts have mentioned that once they read Koran with un biased heart and intention, then they always felt that they are not reading this book in fact this book is reading them.

below are the links for our attention :

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/4769410/Meet-four-women-who-have-converted-to-Islam.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1343954/100-000-Islam-converts-living-UK-White-women-keen-embrace-Muslim-faith.html

First of all, most of your claims are based on assumptions. Most muslim didnot read quran? That can tell only one thing that you do not know many muslim at all mate.

My remark "I would put good money on most "good muslims".........is not a claim - it is exactly what you said it was - an assumption. I lived in Indonesia for two years and have been back several times - my knowledge/opinion on islam is based on my time there.....its an 80% percent muslim country.

I was married to a muslim woman for 5 years, have 2 muslim kids and it most be about 20 - 30 in laws (all muslim).

How many do you know........mate? Or is all your knowledge based on being muslim in a non-muslim country?

I'm not sure where you are going with your links (the sun and the dailymail) or how you are linking them back to what i said BUT in fairness someone in the US or UK WHO ACTUALLY DECIDES THEMSELVES that they want to become muslim is much more likely to actually read the Koran than someone who is muslim based on the fact that they were born in a muslim country (i.e. choice versus no choice).
    As for "plus to add in your amazement" - what are you talking about? This is not news and has been the case for some time............your links are years old.....what does it prove?

My remark "I would put good money on most "good muslims".........is not a claim - it is exactly what you said it was - an assumption. I lived in Indonesia for two years and have been back several times - my knowledge/opinion on islam is based on my time there.....its an 80% percent muslim country.

I was married to a muslim woman for 5 years, have 2 muslim kids and it most be about 20 - 30 in laws (all muslim).

How many do you know........mate? Or is all your knowledge based on being muslim in a non-muslim country?

I'm not sure where you are going with your links (the sun and the dailymail) or how you are linking them back to what i said BUT in fairness someone in the US or UK WHO ACTUALLY DECIDES THEMSELVES that they want to become muslim is much more likely to actually read the Koran than someone who is muslim based on the fact that they were born in a muslim country (i.e. choice versus no choice).
    As for "plus to add in your amazement" - what are you talking about? This is not news and has been the case for some time............your links are years old.....what does it prove?

Thanks for the reply. I will answer few of your comments point to point.

I would put good money[/B] on most "good muslims".........is not a claim - it is exactly what you said it was - an assumption. I lived in Indonesia for two years and have been back several times - my knowledge/opinion on islam is based on my time there.....its an 80% percent muslim country.

Good to know that you lived in Indonesia and hope you liked it too. I would like to comment on the point that you mentioned that your knowledge or opinion based on Islam you observed there. Before I move further on, just let you know that I was born in a country where there are 95% Muslims but honestly If I start to base my opinion on the practices over there, I can tell you that not even one person will ever revert to Islam in any part of the world. I am talking in general.
    As a Muslim our opinion and knowledge has to be based on Quran not on the people and their cultural/regional practice because that can give you complete wrong idea of the religion. Which is the case for many tbh.

I can only appreciate, praise and pray for you that may God give you and your family the best of this world and hereafter on it. I would like to say that either your in laws or wife or my in laws or wife is not a bench mark of Islam. We love them and respect and take a lot of things from them but religion is not inspiration from our loved ones. It has to be inspiration from Koran , not even from scholars etc. We are all humans and full of errors. We do not take knowledge or impression of our religion through various people practice. Koran translation was always very helpful in changing my opinion regarding religion after I thought the same that cultural thing is part of religion where as in real sense, it has nothing to do with religion.

I gave you my answer above already. 50% of my social circle friends are Muslims here.

I'm not sure where you are going with your links (the sun and the dailymail) or how you are linking them back to what I said BUT in fairness someone in the US or UK WHO ACTUALLY DECIDES THEMSELVES that they want to become Muslim is much more likely to actually read the Koran than someone who is Muslim based on the fact that they were born in a Muslim country (i.e. choice versus no choice).

I apologize for not being clear but I was referring to your previous comment about people are converting to Islam as long as you can handle circumcision but staying in it or not. I just pasted a link to mention the fact about conversion of so many educated individuals to Islam which actually seconds your comment that Muslims by choice are likely to read Koran vs Muslim by birth. I can not agree more on this fact mate.
    Most Muslim by birth esp in Muslim countries take religion for granted and use religion for their un religious purposes etc. That’s why I never see a Muslim individual to base my opinion on Islam. Do not look at the people to learn Islam, look at Koran to learn it. This is an advice for Muslims firstly. The reason new reverted Muslims are so close to real teaching of Islam is because they ponder , reflect on Koran teaching more thoroughly as compare to Muslims by birth which just seconds your comment above.

As for "plus to add in your amazement" - what are you talking about? This is not news and has been the case for some time............your links are years old.....what does it prove?[/QUOTE]
    I was telling you the fact which I mentioned above already. Apology if I ever seems rude to you mate. My links are from May 2013 and Jan 2013. It only proves what you have said above already that educated individuals after reading Koran are reverting to Islam by choice.

Peace!

The thread what’s its like converting to Islam is going to a different direction I guess.  But anyway I am not here to defend or convert any one , If any one genuinely looking for any query , I might help in view of very limited knowledge of Islam.

Thanks for the reply. I will answer few of your comments point to point.

I would put good money[/B] on most "good muslims".........is not a claim - it is exactly what you said it was - an assumption. I lived in Indonesia for two years and have been back several times - my knowledge/opinion on islam is based on my time there.....its an 80% percent muslim country.

Good to know that you lived in Indonesia and hope you liked it too. I would like to comment on the point that you mentioned that your knowledge or opinion based on Islam you observed there. Before I move further on, just let you know that I was born in a country where there are 95% Muslims but honestly If I start to base my opinion on the practices over there, I can tell you that not even one person will ever revert to Islam in any part of the world. I am talking in general.
    As a Muslim our opinion and knowledge has to be based on Quran not on the people and their cultural/regional practice because that can give you complete wrong idea of the religion. Which is the case for many tbh.

I can only appreciate, praise and pray for you that may God give you and your family the best of this world and hereafter on it. I would like to say that either your in laws or wife or my in laws or wife is not a bench mark of Islam. We love them and respect and take a lot of things from them but religion is not inspiration from our loved ones. It has to be inspiration from Koran , not even from scholars etc. We are all humans and full of errors. We do not take knowledge or impression of our religion through various people practice. Koran translation was always very helpful in changing my opinion regarding religion after I thought the same that cultural thing is part of religion where as in real sense, it has nothing to do with religion.

I gave you my answer above already. 50% of my social circle friends are Muslims here.

I'm not sure where you are going with your links (the sun and the dailymail) or how you are linking them back to what I said BUT in fairness someone in the US or UK WHO ACTUALLY DECIDES THEMSELVES that they want to become Muslim is much more likely to actually read the Koran than someone who is Muslim based on the fact that they were born in a Muslim country (i.e. choice versus no choice).

I apologize for not being clear but I was referring to your previous comment about people are converting to Islam as long as you can handle circumcision but staying in it or not. I just pasted a link to mention the fact about conversion of so many educated individuals to Islam which actually seconds your comment that Muslims by choice are likely to read Koran vs Muslim by birth. I can not agree more on this fact mate.
    Most Muslim by birth esp in Muslim countries take religion for granted and use religion for their un religious purposes etc. That’s why I never see a Muslim individual to base my opinion on Islam. Do not look at the people to learn Islam, look at Koran to learn it. This is an advice for Muslims firstly. The reason new reverted Muslims are so close to real teaching of Islam is because they ponder , reflect on Koran teaching more thoroughly as compare to Muslims by birth which just seconds your comment above.

I was telling you the fact which I mentioned above already. Apology if I ever seems rude to you mate. My links are from May 2013 and Jan 2013. It only proves what you have said above already that educated individuals after reading Koran are reverting to Islam by choice.

Peace![/QUOTE]

I can't argue with much of that so fair point! :)

Advertisement