Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Photographer Profile] #12 11811

• 25-02-2013 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭

Hi, I’m Fiacre, and firstly I have to say I’m pretty chuffed to be asked to post this little insight into my photographic endeavors. There seems to be an amazing pool of talent on here and its definitely something that spurs me on to better my photographs, I’m often heard muttering “ you ******! ” when browsing the random photo thread... In a good way that is.

Anyway, I am 30 years on this planet and have been taking photos for about 3 years of that. It kinda happened by accident really to tell you the truth, as a kid I had a brief flirtation with photography. My godfather bought me a Konica 35mm point and shoot which I used a hell of a lot for one summer. Then it was put in a drawer and forgotten about along, along with any photography aspirations. It wasn’t till about three years ago that they were rekindled, in somewhat of a big way.

Funnily enough it was during my years studying a degree in Music Technology, that I redeveloped an interest in Photography. A pal had acquired a little bridge camera and was taking some great photos, I reckoned that this seemed pretty fun and borrowed if for an afternoon - I was hooked. A few days later I bought something similar and thats when it started.

5470522349_e04cef6e37.jpg
    One from my first camera, a Fuji Bridge. I had a period of having to put everything in borders, thankfully I've hit that on the head...

After some months of reading up on photography and experimenting with camera I started to get a feel of what type of photography I wanted to get into - Landscapes. I am from Kerry so this perhaps was a bit of a no-brainer. Soon I upgraded to my first DSLR an Olympus e510. Had some great adventures with this camera and learned a hell of a lot, even managed to take a few nice shots.

6622176747_9ac44ee787.jpg
    This is still one of my favourite shots, have no idea how I took it to be honest!

6467857873_542ee008c8.jpg
    Another from around this time, still couldn't tell you how I pulled this one off...

Around this time I started to gain an interest in gig photography, it combined the two things I loved the most, photography and music. I started shooting at local music events. I really enjoy this line of photography, but its something I’ve done very little of - something I must rectify really. There is practically no music scene where I am now, so that is a bit of a hindrance!

6002360948_530e381851.jpg
    A dodgy gig photo, I love combining my love for music and Photography,unfortunately I seldom get a chance to shoot gigs

After a few months i found the limits of my e510, I upgraded to a Canon 40d, and stuck a nifty fifty on the end of it. Using a prime lens for the first time really changed my perspective of photography, the upshot being I improved my shot composition quite a lot. I also started to learn about using filters and began experimenting with long exposures. I also invested in a halfway decent wide-angle lens for landscape work.

6972297982_b9ab65166e.jpg

In late 2011 my work in sound brought me to appreciate landscape photography in a greater way. I landed a gig doing location sound for a small production company who were recording tutorial DVDs for landscape photographers. I got to follow around two fantastic landscape photographers for three days and watch how they worked (and occasionally wield a boom pole). There were 4 am starts, rain and howling winds, nothing that I would have before believed to be conducive to photography. I was wrong... Those three days taught me a hell of a lot, especially the importance of getting up early and being patient when it comes to the weather. It also gave me a taste of film production something that I have also developed a huge interest in. In fact a year and a bit later I am studying a masters in filmmaking here in Wales... Funny how a weekend can shape the future.

6319430132_d56353762b.jpg
    This was the day I truly learned the importance of embracing the "golden hour" even if it meant a 4 A.M start and enduring cold and rain. This shot really doesn't do the scene justice, but I learned a lot that morning.

8262746218_2edca0e6a2.jpg
    One from Wales, this is home for the past few months

8182961243_ec49dd5972_n.jpg
    Its not a bad spot really

8404767861_0eb28566f7_n.jpg
    Does get cold though...

Today, I still love landscape photography. When I am not out shooting film, I’ll be out shooting landscapes - I just love overlooking a beautiful scene and trying to do it justice with the camera, sometimes I think I succeed. To me photography is not only capturing a moment but doing it justice and convey that to who ever views the final image. I’m still learning and have quite a bit to go before I see myself as a true photographer. The goal is to eventually try and sell a few prints in between video and sound work. The Photobook auction was the first time anybody parted money for one of my pieces and thats was a great feeling I must say.

Thats pretty much me, there’s loads I’ve missed I’m sure, but this was actually far harder than I though I would be! Feel free to ask lots of questions.

8346271209_d558d11371.jpg
    One of my recent favourites, from Kerry.

8389778587_625eae5ffa_n.jpg
    I've started dabbling in some night sky photography recently, when the weather allows that is

5962032003_bc8c31093f.jpg

Probably one of my favourite shots

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

nice one - particularly like 2nd image - where are you studying film masters ? newport ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

thebaz wrote: »
    nice one - particularly like 2nd image - where are you studying film masters ? newport ?

Thanks, I'm studying in University of Bangor, in North Wales. Its a new course so wouldn't be as well known as Newport

• Registered Users Posts: 23 allfred

Fantastic pictures, the round corners pic is so sharp!! Cong! Do you spend much time in post production?

allfred wrote: »
    Fantastic pictures, the round corners pic is so sharp!! Cong! Do you spend much time in post production?

Cheers, I don't spend a hell of a lot of time in post really. I usually have a good idea what I want to do as I am taking the shot. I spend maybe 10 - 15 mins adjusting an image, any longer I find I over cook it! I also try to get as much done with the camera, using filters etc. At the moment I edit mostly in Aperture, but having a look at Lightroom now as I hear great things about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Great insight into a great photographer. Fair play!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Fairplay, a man after my own heart with the landscapes. Some lovely work :)

Splinters wrote: »
    Great insight into a great photographer. Fair play!!
    ronanc15 wrote: »
    Fairplay, a man after my own heart with the landscapes. Some lovely work :)

Cheers guys! I appreciate the kind words!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Apologies for the belated question, I read this when you posted but for some reason left it go uncommented on. Cracking array of images, fair play.

When you decided landscape was the thing for you, what did you do to start accumulating knowledge on the discipline? Have you invested in much gear?

It's strange, I'm frequently awed by landscapes but when it comes to taking the camera out I can scarcely work up the will and enthusiasm to take them myself. I was in Dingle two weekends ago and I felt like the gorgeous landscape was completely lost on me.

Keep up the good work!

Apologies for the belated question, I read this when you posted but for some reason left it go uncommented on. Cracking array of images, fair play.

When you decided landscape was the thing for you, what did you do to start accumulating knowledge on the discipline? Have you invested in much gear?

It's strange, I'm frequently awed by landscapes but when it comes to taking the camera out I can scarcely work up the will and enthusiasm to take them myself. I was in Dingle two weekends ago and I felt like the gorgeous landscape was completely lost on me.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers! I guess I started out learning about landscape work through a few magazines and a lot of browsing through flickr. But what really helped was getting out a few times with a professional landscape photographer. Learned heaps in a few hours really, nothing like on the job training as such! Also I'd high recommend Ansel Adams' book on the subject, while written for the film age, they are still very relevant and provide excellent insights into composition and how to envisage the end result when taking photos.
    I also learned a hell of a lot by simply going out and shooting, and learning from mistakes - I still do!

In terms of investing, yeah I have a bit, but not as much as I'd like! I guess the biggest investments so far have been a 5d mkii, with a 24-105 and a Lee filter kit. I also bought a Sigma wide angle lens, and most importantly a good tripod - probably the most important investment I made!

It can be hard alright to get up the enthusiasm to get up early in the cold and damp, but if you're patient it can all come together and pays off nicely - landscape work is all about patience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

Your second shot is quite good.

Really, really good.

• Advertisement

Cheers Mjollnir, to this day its one of my favorites.

Advertisement