Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What XBMC plug ins are you using folks?

Options
  • 11-02-2013 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,916 ✭✭✭✭

I have ditched the ATV2 for a proper HTPC so there is a bit more grunt available now :)

So i am messing around with custom skins and adding some more plug ins.

4Od is on my radar, sports devil and sky go, what else are people using (that they can talk about here).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I use Openelec and I find the plugins are unreliable but I use Spotimc, TED, the Artwork Downloader, CDArt, XBMCbackup. There used to be an RTE and TV3 plugin called VODie but it hasn't worked properly in ages.

My preferred skin is Aeon Nox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm not really using that many addons, but I have RTE and TV3 player working on my satellite box.

The one addon I find being used most is Trakt Utilities, which syncs and scrobbles my progress in Movies and Shows online, saves me having to backup or to setup a local Sql database when I reinstall XBMC. On installing XBMC, first thing I do is install this and run it, it marks the watched episodes and movies automatically. I've my Trakt profile private, I only use it for this syncing purpose.

As for theme, I'm loving Aeon Nox. It is fantastic looking and improving all the time. I run the Artwork Downloader addon every so often to pull down disc images, logos, clearart, extrafanart etc. the stuff Ember doesn't add. The AD used to run automatically in the background every so many hours but this isn't happening with Frodo, waiting for it to be fixed.

The Advanced Launcher addon will allow you launch Chrome from within XBMC, I don't use it much though.
    http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=138625&pid=1172733#pid1172733

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

FilmOn is quite handy, gives you the free-to-air British channels and it's legal.

That being said, it does tend to go through a wobble every now and again by losing connection or just freezing but it's handy when you can't think of anything to watch and slap a channel on.

Aeon Nox is my choice too for skin, have tweaked a fair bit with it but it's my favourite one for XBMC.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I'm not really using that many addons, but I have RTE and TV3 player working on my satellite box.

The one addon I find being used most is Trakt Utilities, which syncs and scrobbles my progress in Movies and Shows online, saves me having to backup or to setup a local Sql database when I reinstall XBMC. On installing XBMC, first thing I do is install this and run it, it marks the watched episodes and movies automatically. I've my Trakt profile private, I only use it for this syncing purpose.

As for theme, I'm loving Aeon Nox. It is fantastic looking and improving all the time. I run the Artwork Downloader addon every so often to pull down disc images, logos, clearart, extrafanart etc. the stuff Ember doesn't add. The AD used to run automatically in the background every so many hours but this isn't happening with Frodo, waiting for it to be fixed.

The Advanced Launcher addon will allow you launch Chrome from within XBMC, I don't use it much though.
    http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=138625&pid=1172733#pid1172733

Tell me more about trakt and XBMC, can you sync progress between to different XBMC devices using this? Sounds great, was looking into setting up the SQL databases.

L'prof wrote: »
    Tell me more about trakt and XBMC, can you sync progress between to different XBMC devices using this? Sounds great, was looking into setting up the SQL databases.

Possibly, but it lacks lots of the features of a central database. With a central db you can pause a movie on one XBMC and continue watching where you left off on another. Scan for new content with one XBMC an it appears on them all.

I had a central db once but I found it laggy as I had other things running on the PC that had the db.

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Possibly, but it lacks lots of the features of a central database. With a central db you can pause a movie on one XBMC and continue watching where you left off on another. Scan for new content with one XBMC an it appears on them all.

I had a central db once but I found it laggy as I had other things running on the PC that had the db.

Ah ok, fair enough. At the moment I'm just using the UPnP option, but I'm hoping to setup the SQL database on a NAS where all the media will be stored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Quartz Skin is very user friendly. Using it this past year or so and anyone who picks up the remote can find what they want in a few seconds. Its an Apple TV kinda simple skin, but dont let that put you off.

PseudoTV (Video) Addon - Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script for XBMC... http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=90738

Been using this for the past 6 months or so... it takes all your tv shows/movies and filters them into a Sky TV like EPG of about 18 channels to start off with (can be customized to any number of channels upto 200 i think)... I.e. takes family guy/cleveland show and puts them in the FOX channel, puts movies marked with the genre "action" into the action movies channel etc. which is very, very cool and has the same sort of time shift capabilities as a Sky box. It is very customizable, but i just have not had time to suit it to my likings yet. I usually use this when i cant find something i want to watch. I would recommend this to any XBMC user.

I have been also using Video Music Jukebox... http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:Music_Video_Jukebox
    It is a video plugin that allows you to view any music video (i have tried every possible artist i can think of on it - even tried Big tom and the mainliners one night and it pulled it!).

It pulls videos mainly from Youtube and Last.fm but the Last FM side of things seems to be broken since the EDEN release of XBMC and causes it to crash but it still is a brilliant way of showing your HTPC off to mates. Anyone know of something like this that works better, please let me know as its good, but the crashing is a bit too often now.

Also... @ silvine, Just a heads up, VODie is working again fully as of the end of Jan this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

L'prof wrote: »
    Ah ok, fair enough. At the moment I'm just using the UPnP option, but I'm hoping to setup the SQL database on a NAS where all the media will be stored.

I`ve set up a SQL DB on my synology NAS and i`d highly recommend it. I`ve experienced no lag issues so far and love that I don`t have to scrape my media when I install a new version of XBMC on my devices.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

1Channel
    Icefilms
    LiveStreams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I`ve set up a SQL DB on my synology NAS and i`d highly recommend it. I`ve experienced no lag issues so far and love that I don`t have to scrape my media when I install a new version of XBMC on my devices.

Gonna try this next week.

Any tips?

Am I correct in the I need to out my NAS on a static I.P and it needs to stay on 27/7

• Advertisement

Leiva wrote: »

Gonna try this next week.

Any tips?

Am I correct in the I need to out my NAS on a static I.P and it needs to stay on 27/7

NAS only needs to be on when one of your XBMC devices is on as far as I know. To add to your questions there, do you need to manually scrape for movie and tv show information or can you let XBMC continue to handle it?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

I used XBMC to scrape all my media but had to manually change some movie titles e.g. I had to define last`s year terrible Total Recall remake as Total Recall (2012) to distinguish it from the original.

I downloaded a free tool that renamed all my TV shows into a format that XBMC could scrape with no major issues (I think it was called File renamer - i`ll confirm this when I get home tonight)

The great advantage of creating a

The XBMC site has great how to guides on how to set up a MySQL DB that even I could follow....

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Sync_multiple_libraries

The trickiest part of the set up that I found was the creation of the advancedsettings.xml - you really need to ensure that the file path to the folder on your NAS is detailed exactly right.

Here is what is in my .xml file (i`ve used ***** in the place of my password)

<advancedsettings>
    <videodatabase>
    <type>mysql</type>
    <host>192.168.0.105</host>
    <port>3306</port>
    <user>xbmc</user>
    <pass>*****</pass>
    </videodatabase>

<musicdatabase>
    <type>mysql</type>
    <port>3306</port>
    <user>xbmc</user>
    <pass>*****</pass>
    </musicdatabase>
    </advancedsettings>
    <pathsubstitution>
    <substitute>
    <from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/</from>
    <to>smb://192.168.0.105/Media/Thumbnails</to>
    </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>
    </advancedsettings>

You should always rename your movies with the year in the title, this is how they are on the online databases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I used XBMC to scrape all my media but had to manually change some movie titles e.g. I had to define last`s year terrible Total Recall remake as Total Recall (2012) to distinguish it from the original.

I downloaded a free tool that renamed all my TV shows into a format that XBMC could scrape with no major issues (I think it was called File renamer - i`ll confirm this when I get home tonight)

The great advantage of creating a

The XBMC site has great how to guides on how to set up a MySQL DB that even I could follow....

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Sync_multiple_libraries

The trickiest part of the set up that I found was the creation of the advancedsettings.xml - you really need to ensure that the file path to the folder on your NAS is detailed exactly right.

Here is what is in my .xml file (i`ve used ***** in the place of my password)

<advancedsettings>
    <videodatabase>
    <type>mysql</type>
    <port>3306</port>
    <user>xbmc</user>
    <pass>*****</pass>
    </videodatabase>

<musicdatabase>
    <type>mysql</type>
    <port>3306</port>
    <user>xbmc</user>
    <pass>*****</pass>
    </musicdatabase>
    </advancedsettings>
    <pathsubstitution>
    <substitute>
    <from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/</from>
    <to>smb://192.168.0.105/Media/Thumbnails</to>
    </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>

</advancedsettings>

What's the bit in bold do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

silvine wrote: »
    I use Openelec and I find the plugins are unreliable but I use Spotimc, TED, the Artwork Downloader, CDArt, XBMCbackup. There used to be an RTE and TV3 plugin called VODie but it hasn't worked properly in ages.

My preferred skin is Aeon Nox.

The most recent version of vodie is working well the last few weeks. Thank God!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Anyone come across any other good plug ins lately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Access wrote: »

Do a Google for
    xbmc hub wizard

New addon with all the latest/most common plugins.
    I haven't updated my htpc yet but just stuck it on a new xbmc for android installation last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Buy a real-debrid sub to open a whole new world of content.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Access wrote: »
    Mash-up is fairly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Mash-up is fairly good.

really good combines all of the add ons into one pretty much (1channel, icefilms, sportsdevil)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Watchdog is very handy, it adds/removes from your library when you add/remove to your source. I have an external hard-drive connected to RaspXBMC and just drop new movies/TV shows from my own machine...saves me telling the missus to update the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ufc pro

for me its,mashup's vip list for movies and kids,icefilms for tv shows, and notfilmon is quite good too, tvreleases also, and now that navi-x is back running if you want to just browse all content, navi can be quiet fun!

but lately i find myself using mashup alot, it seems to have everything you need in one place!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Does anyone else find the plugins absolutely useless?

Don't get me wrong I love the XBMC software and use it to organise all my media but every time I try a plugin it very rarely seems to work

T-K-O wrote: »
    Does anyone else find the plugins absolutely useless?

Don't get me wrong I love the XBMC software and use it to organise all my media but every time I try a plugin it very rarely seems to work

when you say, doesn't work, what do you mean exactly, what error comes up or does it just keep loading and then nothing happens, also what ddevice and xbmc version?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

ufc pro wrote: »
    when you say, doesn't work, what do you mean exactly, what error comes up or does it just keep loading and then nothing happens, also what ddevice and xbmc version?

No errors - just tends to load for an age, no content available. Sometimes the XBMC will freeze.

I have XBMC on an apple tv 2, PI and windows laptop. Are these addons just hit and miss, is that the deal

T-K-O wrote: »
    No errors - just tends to load for an age, no content available. Sometimes the XBMC will freeze.

I have XBMC on an apple tv 2, PI and windows laptop. Are these addons just hit and miss, is that the deal

not at all,they should be working without problem! every now and then an addon may go down for a day or two but in general everthing should be working fine, if i remember correctly the last toime i had that problem it was down to the player xbmc was using, i ended up putting the playercorefactory.xml into the userdata folder and it sorted it out! maybe reinstall first and see if that fixes it!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭BPH

Not sure if this is the correct spot but I'm trying to load sports devil onto xbmc android. I add fusion.xbmchub under file manager. Then went to extract from zip, click fusion and there's only 4-5 options. All tutorials on YouTube show loads options there, sports etc. Anyone know where else I can add sports devil?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

BPH wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the correct spot but I'm trying to load sports devil onto xbmc android. I add fusion.xbmchub under file manager. Then went to extract from zip, click fusion and there's only 4-5 options. All tutorials on YouTube show loads options there, sports etc. Anyone know where else I can add sports devil?

Sportsdevil is unsupported for the foreseeable future. But TVAddons(xbmchub) intend to have it back at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

califano wrote: »
    Buy a real-debrid sub to open a whole new world of content.

what plugins do you use with it? From what i heard, when it works its great, but often its just as slow and unreliable as the free sources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Just started using watchdog as recommended here - great app to update my library automatically :)

Advertisement