Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Photographer Profile] #11 Squareballoon

Options
  • 11-02-2013 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

The idea of these threads is to give some insight as to how some of your fellow photographers operate. Each person invited will write about their photography and provide some examples. This thread will be sticky for about a fortnight (longer if needed) During this time feel free to comment and ask questions. Please allow the subject to answer questions and do not do so on their behalf.

While this process is taking place, the subject will approach the next person to be highlighted. Please keep this secret and do not prompt.

All normal site and forum rules apply.

Hi, I'm Lynn. I work as an illustrator and teach Photoshop. I've never really thought of myself as a photographer but more of an image maker. I started working in animation in 1993, moved into graphic design and 3d modelling and then into photography in 2007.
    I had studied a little film photography in college and when my first child was born in 2000 I used a Ricoh film camera to take pictures of her but had very hit and miss results. In 2007 I bought my first digital SLR, a Canon 400D, and at the same time started experimenting with photo-manipulation using Photoshop which I had been using in all my work since 1994. Initially I was correcting all my photography mistakes with Photoshop but then I joined a couple of photography forums and gradually learned how to work the camera a little better.

group1sm_zpsd1b7312b.jpg
    In 2009 I bought a canon 5D which I still have. I am more interested in photographing children and families than any other subject and started taking pictures of other peoples' families shortly after buying my full frame camera.

group3sm_zpsac3af1aa.jpg
    Through the forums I was on I started seeing posed newborn photography that I was keen to try. I teamed up with Nicole LeSaout to work in Moments Photography in 2009 and for the following 3 years shot almost exclusively newborns and babies with her. Together we had a bit of success in the IPPA awards winning Best Single Image in Child Portraiture 2012.

group6sm_zps8b30eb12.jpg
    Although I loved shooting with Nicole I have always been most interested in the editing side of photography and decided last year to concentrate exclusively on that. Currently I teach Photoshop classes to family photographers, I sell Photoshop actions and tutorials and I post process for 3 wedding and portrait photographers. I still take on portrait photography sessions but only for family and friends. I am always keen to learn new techniques and so about 18 months ago I started using studio light. I use a single light set up with my Speedlite in a large soft box and am starting to get the consistent results I've always wanted. The next thing I want to try is OCF outdoors.
    group4sm_zpsaadb8854.jpg
    I'm not sure what way my photography will go in the next few years but I like to try one new photography or editing style every few months. Being part of Boards.ie means I get to see all sorts of photography styles and techniques that I wouldn't see if I buried myself in just the genre of portrait photography. I still think the Random thread is one of the best sources of inspiration out there.
    group2sm_zps09b9b946.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

Great work Lynn. Love your style on your portraits and very much liking the minature shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

I could pick a shot of yours out a mile away!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Love your work.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

Thank so much guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭chisel

Beautiful work - and yes, your "look" is very distinctive and like others have said, I would recognise it on sight!
    Lovely narrative to your post, thanks for that. You have an unusual angle on this, the vast majority of us came to PS because we were photographers, and as a result PS always plays the role of slave. A necessary evil in a way. The change in approach you naturally have seems much more evenly weighted. In the film world, there is at least equal emphasis on the darkroom work, particularly printing.

Thanks for sharing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭WheresMyCamera?

Thanks for sharing Lynn. I've always admired your work since I've seen it here. Always simple, clean and beautifully composed. I'd love to hear how your getting on with the 135L lens that you've bought. Can't be as close to your subjects with it, has that influenced how you shoot?

Also as you come from more of a photoshop background how does that effect your desired image outcome? When you shoot are you shooting with where you'd like to take the image in photoshop in mind? (and I don't mean 'fix it' in photoshop)

A.

Thanks for sharing Lynn. I've always admired your work since I've seen it here. Always simple, clean and beautifully composed. I'd love to hear how your getting on with the 135L lens that you've bought. Can't be as close to your subjects with it, has that influenced how you shoot?

Also as you come from more of a photoshop background how does that effect your desired image outcome? When you shoot are you shooting with where you'd like to take the image in photoshop in mind? (and I don't mean 'fix it' in photoshop)

A.
    To be honest I still haven't had a proper chance to use the 135mm yet because the weather's been too bad to feel inspired to take it out. I'm hoping to soon though. I don't think that having to be far away will make that much of a difference because I generally don't like too much interaction with the subject and the camera. I will tell people beforehand what I would like them to do and also tell them to only look at the camera if I say. Otherwise they are to avoid looking at it. Up to getting the 135 I had used my 70-200 outdoors so had already always been a fair distance away.
    I suppose with having a knowledge of photoshop I'm able to shoot more freely without thinking all the time that I have to get the image that I want with a single click of the camera. For example, I quite like a hazy look but I hate editing when direct sunlight has hit the lens. Therefore I'll take the shot from the shade and edit the haze in afterwards.
    haze_zpsd9ea48ed.jpg
    If I'm shooting indoors... I have a small dark house and nowhere to keep large amounts of studio equipment. I move furniture to set up a small paper roll, shoot away and then make the backdrop larger in Photoshop so I can get the crop I want.
    IMG_3624_zps233ece28.jpg
    I don't spend hours editing though. I do try and make as easy as possible to get it right and then zip through the edits using actions I've made and shortcuts I've learned. I am generally editing between 50-80 RAW files a day so I am efficent with my edits.

I've never really thought about whether I have a recognisable style but after getting it wrong for so long I now know what I like and I always try and stick to my own rules for shooting and editing. It's nice to know that it's a style that people can pick out though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

Love your work with the infants etc, stunningly beautiful. What set up do you use, as in the white background and lighting ?

I can only dream of shots like those with my grandson, who turns the grand old age of 1 on Sat !

Secman

Just see your reference to a white paper roll, can't be that simple !

secman wrote: »
    Love your work with the infants etc, stunningly beautiful. What set up do you use, as in the white background and lighting ?

I can only dream of shots like those with my grandson, who turns the grand old age of 1 on Sat !

Secman

Just see your reference to a white paper roll, can't be that simple !

Thanks Secman, It really is just a paper roll, a speedlite in a softbox (50x50") and natural light for fill. If I don't have natural light I use a reflector. There is a picture at the end of this blog post with the set up I use 90% of the time indoors. For tiny babies and ones up to about 10 months I use a beanbag or a futon mattress to make them comfortable.

http://square-balloon.com/blog/2012/11/11/studio-set-up/

Advertisement