Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snes Cart Conversion

Options
  • 22-01-2013 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

This prob won't be of much interest to the regulars here, really only retro enthusiasts. However, if your aware of a Snes game called Earthbound, your probably aware of how much it costs:

210liwz.jpg

Its a fairly expensive cart & has a cult following that ensures the value is high. It also happens to be lauded as one of the greatest games ever made. However, there's now an easy way of getting your hands on it so to speak. The game in its native Japanese region is called Mother 2, & is effectively the exact same game only in Japanese. Its also, much, much cheaper. I got my completely boxed & mint copy for about €35.

However, being a text heavy game, the language barrier is a deal breaker...or at least was. You can now have a tiny flash chip programmed with the Earthbound rom file, & have this flash chip fitted on a TSOP adapter board which so happens to fit exactly where the Maskrom normally goes. In effect, you can buy a Mother 2 cart, buy the flash & adapter kit, replace the Maskrom chip of the original Jap cart with this new one & voila, the US version of the game runs on the Jap cart.

Its a reproduction really, but the difference is your still buying a legit cart, your not killing one cart to make another as its that same game thats gonna be running off it, & its a damn sight easier to spend €40 than it is over €250! Here's an example of how its done...

Mother 2 Jap cart & Earthbound rom flashed to chip with TSOP adapter

ao0pb4.jpg

Cart opened, ready to proceed with removing the Maskrom on the pcb

2efkyeb.jpg

Desoldering in progress

2z4lso2.jpg

2vtbdi8.jpg

Eventually after all pins have been desoldered, the Maskrom can be removed

ibxmie.jpg

I remove the pins on the TSOP adapter, rather then cutting traces on the cart. This way the cart is left original, & can be restored back to a Mother 2. Plus, its just a neater way of doing it

1zpnt54.jpg

TSOP Adapter then fits into place

2940yfp.jpg

The pins come through on the solder side, these have to be trimmed later on to ensure that the cart fits back together properly.

33z2tzm.jpg

All soldered up...

ra9d2b.jpg

2qvbes3.jpg

Pins snipped, the cart then goes back together perfectly

1zdrkht.jpg

So at that stage its time to take the cart up to the games room to test it. Pop it into the Snes & whadyano....

2mwz2x.jpg

fu55xs.jpg

2dtbz3r.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

qy8k9j.jpg

2qvs31c.jpg

2hov4h2.jpg

So there you have it, a cheap semi original Earthbound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Old school soldering, I need to start doing some retro mods!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

justryan wrote: »
    Old school soldering, I need to start doing some retro mods!

Yeah none of that quantum level soldering you & TV get up to, this is pretty handy :)

Advertisement