Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FindMyPast to relase 21 million Birth, Death and Marriage Records on 24th Jan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Claire Santry has updated her blog

http://irish-genealogy-news.blogspot.ie/2013/01/irish-civil-registration-records-live.html

The FMP.ie records are actually available online now.

I'm not a subscriber so I don't know how different the records are compared to Family Search.

It does seem you can see potential spouses when searching for marriage records.

As Claire says:
    By potential, I mean the names of other bride/grooms on adjacent register pages.
    For example, if I search for Katie Santry's marriage in 1907 in Clonakilty,
    the transcript tells me that her spouse was one of four men: Daniel Driscoll, Lawrence Keohane, Michael Moxley, Timothy O'Regan.

To find out which one, you'd have to obtain a copy of the marriage certificate, using her name and the references provided (in this case: Clonakilty Q1 1907, Vol 5, Page 55). Since I already have her certificate, I know it was Daniel Driscoll that she married.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Sounds to me like the same copy of the Index that Ancestry purchased from FamilySearch/LDS.

As far as I remember the index books created at the time only included mother's maiden name for births from the late 1920s on, and the earlier details were added later by GRO staff. I suspect the FMP.ie records will have the same details as the free edition on FamilySearch - but with the additional marriage cross-match feature as added by Ancestry.

Shane

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

shanew wrote: »
    I suspect the FMP.ie records will have the same details as the free edition on FamilySearch - but with the additional marriage cross-match feature as added by Ancestry.

And I can confirm this. there's nothing new added that you can't already get on Familysearch.org
    In fact at the end of the result page it says "copyright Family Search"

(btw, I forgot to cancel my trial subscription with FMP. If anyone wants a worthless account then let me know...)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I think this addition (though available free elsewhere) does mean that FMP now trumps Ancestry and Origins as the best record set for Irish ancestors.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Agreed Pinky.

And to think what a nice little earner it could have been for the Irish Govt if they had gotten into the game early and followed the ScotlandsPeople model :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Agreed Pinky.

And to think what a nice little earner it could have been for the Irish Govt if they had gotten into the game early and followed the ScotlandsPeople model :(

Eventual plan from the National Archives seems to be to offer similar to what ScotlandsPeople has, but for free. Which is a far better option. Two censuses free, third free in a while, parish records free as they get them.

A heavily migration transient family means that ScotlandsPeople has emptied my wallet quiet effectively - particularly as a lot of it happened around the 1911 census time and I've got a common enough surname. Although not as much as the IFHF have for the parish records that they seem to have the only digital copy of...

Advertisement