Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Powertank

Options
  • 15-01-2013 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd throw up a few pics of my current project. This is a design I came across on The Stargazer's Lounge. It's a 110Ah battery with (for the moment) 4x 12v sockets (fused). I plan to add another 12v socket, a switched LED voltmeter and a USB outlet (to power USB hub). It's all housed inside a 24" Stanley toolbox.

I'm not sure what current my imaging setup draws but I'm hoping to get 2 nights worth of supply. It will have to power netbook, dew controller, dslr, mount, guide camera and USB hub so 2 nights might be asking a little too much, but we'll see when some clear skies return.

(Edit: Wasn't sure whether to post this in Astrophotography or here as it's primary use is for imaging, but I figured some visual observers might be interested so stuck it in here.)

The pics...

img9086z.jpg

img9087w.jpg

img9088h.jpg

img9085d.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Very cool TzeTze, should be able to image for hours with this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

thats a really handy thing to have.
    if you wouldnt mind me asking roughly how much did it set you back?and you wouldnt have a link for it?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Nerro wrote: »
    thats a really handy thing to have.
    if you wouldnt mind me asking roughly how much did it set you back?and you wouldnt have a link for it?
    Thanks.

Total cost so far is a couple of euro over €300. Battery and charger came to €206.
    Note that the handle on top is practically useless. It's VERY heavy and have to use the recesses in each side of the base to lift it. Mind your back!

Link

Advertisement