Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aaron Swartz commits suicide.

Options
  • 15-01-2013 7:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

This is quite sad. There are some sources even citing he was murdered!.
    Swartz was nothing short of a prodigy: at the age of 14, he helped develop the Real Simple Syndication (RSS) standard, paving the way to services such as Google Reader. He worked on the Open Library, which has a goal of putting one page online for every book ever published. He founded Infogami, which was eventually incorporated into Reddit before the sale to Conde Nast, a move that gave him the means to detach and take up various causes at his pleasure.

http://mashable.com/2013/01/13/aaron-swartz/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I see CISPA is back on the table again after being defeated last August.

This is a highly controversial and intrusive bill and something that Araon Swartz would have highly spoken out against.

Activist Araon Swartz decries CISPA as ‘a Patriot Act for the Internet’

His untimely death is now becoming more and more suspicious as the dots connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

CISPA, a bill that Araon Swartz would have highly spoken out against.
    That's a most interesting piece but unfortunately very long. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt if many here will stay with it to hear it all.

feargale wrote: »
    That's a most interesting piece but unfortunately very long. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt if many here will stay with it to hear it all.

Here's the "lite" version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Only thing the American Gov seem to be able to agree on (literally) is how to spy on their own, Warrantless wiretapping, drones flying round all over the place, (won't be long before a situation is created to allow them to kill someone) and now they have this doozy of a 4th Amendment redefinition where they can take your electronic device off ya within 100 miles of the border.

100 Miles!!!!!!

Image-Map.gif

Looking more and more like those futuristic hell hole films from years back.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

100 miles is a frightening distance. You'd at least think they would have used kilometres. :pac:

No seriously though, it is actually a ridiculous distance. I'm investing more and more effort in encrypting stuff. I haven't used it yet, but the plausible deniability hidden partition that truecrypt offers is looking more and more attractive.

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    100 miles is a frightening distance. You'd at least think they would have used kilometres. :pac:

No seriously though, it is actually a ridiculous distance. I'm investing more and more effort in encrypting stuff. I haven't used it yet, but the plausible deniability hidden partition that truecrypt offers is looking more and more attractive.
    The Yanks will never change to metric, I worked in a machine shop in Seattle in the 90's and most of the lads hadn't a clue how to read a metric micrometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,872 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Only thing the American Gov seem to be able to agree on (literally) is how to spy on their own, Warrantless wiretapping, drones flying round all over the place, (won't be long before a situation is created to allow them to kill someone) and now they have this doozy of a 4th Amendment redefinition where they can take your electronic device off ya within 100 miles of the border.

100 Miles!!!!!!

Image-Map.gif

Looking more and more like those futuristic hell hole films from years back.
    About 15 minutes of digging points to this news being 5 years old, leading me to postulate that the ability to waive the 4th amendment wihin these areas is not being abused in any alarming rate. I myself have been stopped by police within the 'zone several times in the last few years, and have never once been searched. Case being that local and state police forces don't report under the Department of Homeland Security. In fact if you recall a couple years ago when Arizona tried to vote in it's own powers to conduct border control operations, the federal government shot it down. Had such a measure passed, not only could local AZ and AZ state police stop you within the border-zone, they could stop you anywhere within AZ and disregard your fourth amendment rights. Only the DHS has the jurisdiction to patrol the border, and only a DHS agent (which includes the TSA..) can conduct such searches. Worth noting, the DHS was founded post-9/11 to administrate border and national security concerns from an internal perspective, and it is entirely and thankfully seperate from the Department of Justice, the organization-tree which houses services like the FBI, DEA, and ATF, along with the Attorney General, all levels of police forces, etc. etc. etc. (the CIA is it's own autonomous organization, answering directly to the Director of National Intelligence, underneath the POTUS).

Thanks for bringing it up, but currently it's nothing to be horribly alarmed about. Frankly if it was, the latino population of Florida would have vanished overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Overheal wrote: »
    About 15 minutes of digging points to this news being 5 years old, leading me to postulate that the ability to waive the 4th amendment wihin these areas is not being abused in any alarming rate. I myself have been stopped by police within the 'zone several times in the last few years, and have never once been searched. Case being that local and state police forces don't report under the Department of Homeland Security. In fact if you recall a couple years ago when Arizona tried to vote in it's own powers to conduct border control operations, the federal government shot it down. Had such a measure passed, not only could local AZ and AZ state police stop you within the border-zone, they could stop you anywhere within AZ and disregard your fourth amendment rights. Only the DHS has the jurisdiction to patrol the border, and only a DHS agent (which includes the TSA..) can conduct such searches. Worth noting, the DHS was founded post-9/11 to administrate border and national security concerns from an internal perspective, and it is entirely and thankfully seperate from the Department of Justice, the organization-tree which houses services like the FBI, DEA, and ATF, along with he Attorney General, all levels of police forces, etc. etc. etc. (the CIA is it's own autonomous organization, answering directly to the Director of National Intelligence, underneath the POTUS).[Quote\]
    FFSWDSMPUATNIFW?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,872 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Arizona (AZ)

Department of Homeland Security (DHS)

Federal Bureau or Investigation (FBI)

Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA)

Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms (ATF)

Central Intelligence Agency (CIA)

President of the United States (POTUS)

Advertisement