Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best and worst customer service experiences [rant & praise]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I have to say I am incredibly impressed. I don't usually post good experiences but this is outstanding.

I ordered an Asus router, about 100£ give or take. When I intiially received it I was happy but realised that the firmware didnt contain one of the features I specifically wanted. I upgraded and the modem bricked. I was able to recover it using Asus tool but the wireless performance was not good for a premium router. Roll forward a couple of months since I received and trying to contact Asus (who only are open 9-5pm :rolleyes:) and trying latest firmware still performance not good enough.

Phone up Amazon to find out what they can do. After I explained I had tried to resolve issues with manufacturer they immediately issued me with free return label for a full refund. No arguing, no demanding my rights.

I was tracking the parcel back and noticed that it seems to have got stuck due to someone not being at the depot to receive the package. I contact Amazon again through webchat this time. No arguments, nothing. Offered a refund straight away. (normally thye would wait to receive the package).

Very very impressed. I couldn't recommend them enough. Excellent customer service, quick service, they phoned me so I didn't need to wait and pay for a call.

X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

completely agree

i have been buying online for years at this stage and no other site came even close to amazon's customer service.

apparently john lewis is another group known to have excellent customer service although i never bought anything from them

on the other side its a tough competition on who is the worse company to deal with

for me right now its tesco direct, but thehut and pixmania are also on the black list!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Great to see positive reviews for a change and yes I agree Amazon are great to deal with IMHO

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭vicM

Bought a camera of them and didn't dispatch For about 2 days, and in the meantime the cameras price dropped
    Via Web chat, not only did they give me the new price but they also gave me a small credit for delaying the order! who else does that
    Cannot recommend them enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Can't agree.

[1] Whether delivery to Ireland or not is possible is never clear until selection of delivery address - even 'permitted' goods can have delivery restrictions.
    [2] They sit on orders. 'In Stock' orders can sit for some time (like weeks) waiting to be dispatched. I've usually cancelled the order before that time - like today for example. Very disappointed.
    [3] They are not the cheapest.
    [4] Their contrived tax affairs makes me suspicious.

• Advertisement

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    Can't agree.

[1] Whether delivery to Ireland or not is possible is never clear until selection of delivery address - even 'permitted' goods can have delivery restrictions.
    [2] They sit on orders. 'In Stock' orders can sit for some time (like weeks) waiting to be dispatched. I've usually cancelled the order before that time - like today for example. Very disappointed.

2.. Get them online and ask why it hasn't dispatched within and it was in stock

3..For a UK based online retailer, they normally are to be honest

With you on point 1 though.. About 4..they are exploiting a loophole which all the majors are.. Unfair to single them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

In fairness, they just found a way to pay less tax, don't think that should make a company suspicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

You can just click on "See Details and Conditions" just under the price and it tells you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

j4vier wrote: »
    completely agree

i have been buying online for years at this stage and no other site came even close to amazon's customer service.

apparently john lewis is another group known to have excellent customer service although i never bought anything from them

on the other side its a tough competition on who is the worse company to deal with

for me right now its tesco direct, but thehut and pixmania are also on the black list!

Zavvi for me, the company has just gone to the dogs. I ordered an xbox 360 game on the 24th of October, waited 3 weeks, didn't receive it. I then contacted them via there website message facility 3 times to explain my situation and received no response. 5 days later I received an email ( after some theatening of legal action on my part) saying the item was being resent to me. I hardly need to tell you what happenned next, waited 2 weeks this time before coming after them saying that I hadn't received the item. I 'm currently chasing them to get a refund, but they are making it really dificult for me, taking an age to respond to me and then saying basically wait some more.

When I compare this to amazon, I am frankly disgusted. I have never had any customer service issues with Amazon(even though I have got the odd faulty), good) whenever this have happenned I have been sent the item again and with next day delivery. After my experience with Zavvi, I have decided that in future, I will do all my online shopping from Amazon, where at the very least I can buy with confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Can't agree.

1 - You can use parcelmotel to send to UK address. Amazon dont know what address you are going to send it to until you select at the end. Unlike other retailers they do not require you to ship to billing address which is great if ordering for friends family.
    2 - Did you contact them to ask? It's important to distingush between amazon sellers and amazon direct
    3 - True but most of the time they are and when they aren't I would go with them because of their better service.
    4 - ?? And are you aware of all the tax affairs of other companies online... Amazon is just big so these things are highlighted more than the others.

I do almost all my shopping online and have never had a better experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭bungaro79

had a delivery estimate date of two wednesdays ago and after a week there was still no sign so i chatted online with one of the amazon reps and straight away he reissued the order. there was no problems and he said these things happen and if i was to get the first order in the mean time to send them back and they would reimburse me for delivery. fantastic service in fairness, themselves and photobox are the best i have encountered

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Can't agree.

They ship so much to Ireland they have to charge our VAT rates.

Or are you complaining about them not paying UK tax? If you do some digging you'll see a lot of companies don't pay a lot of tax, look at the IFSC loads of companies there with 1 or 2 employees declaring billions in income. Even French companies, with all their posturing over our 12.5% corp tax rate, don't actually pay much tax in France.

Edit

I find Amazon great and now with Parcel Motel you can buy off all their vendors.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

Very much agree with OP. I've always liked Amazon and been impressed with their customer service - they always respnd quickly by email or live chat. For that reason, they're my number one choice of online retailer.

On the odd occasion when their prices aren't quite as low as others, I'm still willing to go with them because I can be sure that they will play fair if a problem arises. They get the mix just right because they know that price and customer service are the top 2 selling points for customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I love Amazon. I have mentioned on here before about Amazon replacing my Kindle for me, for a very small fee, after it was damaged beyond repair when I was hit by a van. Completely outside their T&Cs and definitely not something they "had" to do. They really looked after me.

I do all my shopping online and Amazon are top of my list, next is Dorothy Perkins (although their new Euro site is a right bummer), Debenhams (also, they use Nightline as their courier service and I've never had any trouble with deliveries from them) and Schuh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Great staff, great service so lots if praise.no I don't work there. But I was very impressed by the staff ESP Lorraine . 10/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

just wanted to add another story of utter incompetence from expansys and advise people to avoid them like the plague if you value your money and/or sanity.

I ordered about €800 worth of gear from them for a Christmas present for my wife on wednesday morning, paying by paypal to use up my balance with the rest coming from a credit card attached to my paypal account.

I'm an existing customer, having spent at least €1500 with them over the last few years i've never had any issues until now.

I'm currently in the middle of moving house, so I figured the easiest thing to do would be to arrange to have the item shipped to parcel motel and collect it.

first of all they managed to charge me the wrong amount (about €17 too little), even though this all went through their website and paypal, so should have been a simple and foolproof method of payment.

rather than contact me and explain that the wrong amount had been taken, they just sent me a paypal request for more money, with no explanation whatsoever as to why they were requesting more money from me after I had already paid them.

i had to call their customer service department and wait on hold for almost half an hour before i could get through to someone to find out that they had somehow undercharged me.

once i had found this out, i paid the extra money and assumed that would be the end of it and that i would receive my item in a few days, but when i checked my order online the following morning, it had a note saying "awaiting further information" and I had to call them again (with another almost 30 minutes on hold to the UK) to find out that they were waiting for my "proof of address'' at the parcel motel depot and that they couldn't progress the order until i had provided this information.

i called paypal and had my parcel motel address added to my official paypal addresses as it wouldn't let me add it on the paypal website for some reason (another 20 minutes on the phone), but this does not appear to have made any difference as they still wouldn't progress the order.

i then spoke to expansys customer support again and explained in detail what parcel motel was (both on the phone and in later emails) and provided screenshots of my parcel motel ID and the page with the delivery address on it confirming that it was my account etc. and that given what parcel motel is, there was no more information that i could provide to them than this.

that took me up to COB yesterday, so again this morning i checked my order status only to find that it was still "awaiting further information" and had not progressed any further, so I called again and took the head off someone in order to get a manager on the phone, to be repeatedly told that no managers were available until after 5pm as they were all in a meeting, but after repeatedly pressuring the girl on the phone she eventually managed to pull a manager out of thin air to talk to me although she was pretty much on the verge of tears by this point.

after i explained what was going on, the manager offered a refund which i declined as i knew it would take days to get the refund and this close to christmas it would be no good to me anyway as without the refund my credit card is maxxed out and i'm unable to make the purchase anywhere else until the money is back onto the card, which would be monday 24th dec. at the earliest and would mean no christmas present for my wife.

the manager (by the name of <SNIP>) promised to get the issue sorted out for me and said she would call me back when she had sorted it to let me know.

she then called me back a couple of hours later to say she'd gone through everything and would be contacting the finance department directly to sort out the issue and would call me back when she had it resolved.

no further word back from anyone at expansys this afternoon, but then out of nowhere I get an automated email from paypal and then expansys confirming that I had cancelled the order even though I had not cancelled it and had specifically (and repeatedly) asked that the order wasn't cancelled for the reasons stated above.

i've repeatedly emailed the manager who had mailed me her details after i requested them so i could contact her but she has not responded.

her number in her email isn't a full number (no international code or legit area code as fa as i can see) and she seems to be from a team in italy, but with ties to the UK, so i have no idea if it's an italian number or a UK one and adding the international dialling code for either country doesn't work.

so, i'm now in the situation whereby i have no no explanation from expansys and no present for my wife and no money until the refund goes back on my card, by which time it will be too late to order the present from anywhere else and have it in time for xmas.

Expansys, the company that ruined christmas. :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Another PC World +, this time for their Galway shop. Mentioned to Neil a few weeks ago that I was looking for either a tablet or a netbook. Established that a tablet wasn't the right tool for the job, but they didn't do much in netbooks anymore.

He gave me a shout a few days later; he had sourced a netbook for me to look at. Perfect for what it was needed for, and well priced.

I should also add that this isn't my first time praising PC World Galway on here.

Another + for Laptec in Galway; have had to use them for data recovery and found them to be fantastic. Also great when it came to replacing power supplys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭kristian12

I'm a bit hindered at the moment having my shoulder and arm all strapped up and in a sling. I wondered into Tesco's in Navan earlier for just a couple of bits as you do :rolleyes:. Having got a trolley to make life easier i went a bit over the top and the trolley started to get a bit heavy and awkward, one of the staff took the trolley off me and wheeled it around the isles whilst i carried on shopping and when i got to the till the assistant called somebody else over to help me pack. Then the assistant manager got somebody to push the trolley through the shopping centre and outside to the taxi rank, the lad even helped load it into the taxi. I have to say i know they can get a bit of stick but it wasn't just 1 person but a number of them were very helpful and polite on what was a very busy day. Credit where credit is due.

buyer95 wrote: »

Zavvi for me.. .

Wish I had seen this before, ordered a camera of them and and was supposed to be a here by today for obvious reasons
    Tweeted, " called, and messaged but haven't heard from them yet
    Will be a disaster if I don't get it tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

DID Waterford (again) - have posted in here before about what a nice experience shopping there is. We were in there again today to buy a new tv (this is the third tv we've bought there), got a 43" Samsung plasma tv and a wall mount for just under €500, including delivery. Very happy customers again :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Nearly had a heart attack this morning .

Got an invoice from Fedex for 9834 Euros based on the value/shipping/insurance 320 USD

I got sorted now after many phone calls to billing dept but the interesting thing was that

the admin fee was 1050 Euros while before I was only charged 10/15 Euros depending on

the shipping company .

I have to say it that those days almost every invoice from DHL/UPS/FEDEX is wrong and

have to keep checking every single one of them everytime

9 out of 10 are wrong those days .

Not a happy camper .

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Best - B&Q; I'm clueless as to DIY and the Swords (Dublin) branch were especially helpful, knowledgable and understanding in helping me through my various DIY issues.

Worst - Tierney Kitchens; damaged my walls in my hall whilst storing wardrobe units prior to installation. When I rang to complain (whilst the work was ongoing) they asked me to put it in writing. I did so and then they said I should have notified them of the damage at the time - ah, what were the numerous phone calls about???:confused::confused: Going to court to resolve. Crazy. Way to build a customer service reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭downey2003

Jarren wrote: »
    Nearly had a heart attack this morning .

Got an invoice from Fedex for 9834 Euros based on the value/shipping/insurance 320 USD

Do you mean 9 thousand 8 hundred and 34?
    :confused:

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

sounds like the case of the missing decimal point, €98.34 sounds about right.

Correct, it took me a number of phone calls to Fedex billing dept trying to explain that .
    Not a great experience tbh ,those major courier companies never make mistakes in my favour though and I have to chase them constantly to have the invoices rectified.

I was very suprised that the admin fee was whooping 1050 Euros ,usually is 10 -15 Euros tops .

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

Meghna Restaurant in Terenure, worst service in my entire life!!!

We were there an hour and a half and we had only received our starters, normally when I go out I hate hanging around so i'm normally finished everything in an hour and have left! I lifted my plate off the table to give to the waiter, smiled and said thank you, and it was snatched out of my hand, he didn't say a word to me at all!

We were there for 2 hours and 15 minutes and we left straight after we finished our main courses, which were devoured because we were so starving!

There was no explanation offered as to why it took so long and a lame,brutal apology. Thinking about it now is even making me mad!!

I wrote an email to them but they haven't bothered to reply either! I wouldn't go back here if I was paid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

Best ; Photobox for pics and canvas prints. very good quality and prompt delivery - times were as advertised.

Worst; Vodafone service .
    I had a USB dongle with crap signal , numerous calls to support eventually told me to go into store . That I did to be told u are entitled to an upgrade great I say . I was told to sign a form to acknowledge I received a new dongle . I was NOT told I had signed up to a new contract , this was found out when I got a lovely welcome to Vodafone docs in the mail with my new contract over 2 weeks later . Back on phone again to complain , they told me then I could cancel but there was I think a 100 euro cancellation charge .. I was fuming then guy said I could reduce my package to 4.99 a month . They had my dd details already . Fair enough .. Meanwhile still poor signal and little dongle ended up bottom of laptop bag not been used . Months later I get this nasty letter from Vodafone saying I owed them 78 euros and they were cancelling / disrupting my service . An utter joke .. The saga continues ...Z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Janedoe10 wrote: »
    Best ; Photobox for pics and canvas prints. very good quality and prompt delivery - times were as advertised.

Worst; Vodafone service .
    I had a USB dongle with crap signal , numerous calls to support eventually told me to go into store . That I did to be told u are entitled to an upgrade great I say . I was told to sign a form to acknowledge I received a new dongle . I was NOT told I had signed up to a new contract , this was found out when I got a lovely welcome to Vodafone docs in the mail with my new contract over 2 weeks later . Back on phone again to complain , they told me then I could cancel but there was I think a 100 euro cancellation charge .. I was fuming then guy said I could reduce my package to 4.99 a month . They had my dd details already . Fair enough .. Meanwhile still poor signal and little dongle ended up bottom of laptop bag not been used . Months later I get this nasty letter from Vodafone saying I owed them 78 euros and they were cancelling / disrupting my service . An utter joke .. The saga continues ...Z

Give them nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 sumeas

Social Welfare.

Advertisement