Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Photographer Profile] #5 gloobag

Options
  • 12-11-2012 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

The idea of these threads is to give some insight as to how some of your fellow photographers operate. Each person invited will write about their photography and provide some examples. This thread will be sticky for about a fortnight (longer if needed) During this time feel free to comment and ask questions. Please allow the subject to answer questions and do not do so on their behalf.
    While this process is taking place, the subject will approach the next person to be highlighted. Please keep this secret and do not prompt.
    All normal site and forum rules apply.

I]Stands up and addresses the group[/I

Hi, my name is Brian McNamara and I'm a photographer, of people mostly. I'm originally from Limerick, but moved up to Dublin about a year ago to take it all a bit more seriously. I love pizza, beer, puppies and straight talking folk.

Just as I was about start writing this post I received an email from a young girl looking to do some work experience with me. She also asked if I would answer some interview questions for a project she's doing for school. Looking over her questions, I realized that the answers touched on everything I wanted to say here. Being the lazy so and so that I am, I've decided to do the whole 'two birds one stone' thing. So, I now present to you my answers to some teenage girls questions about me as a photographer.

Enjoy...
    Boards-4.jpg
    I'm in there somewhere...

1. How did you first become interested in photography?
    It all started in February 2008. At that point in my life, I was just about to turn 28 years old and had pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I would live out the rest of my days in an average job with average pay. I had a failed music career behind me, and had given up on ever fulfilling my childhood dream of being a comic book artist. Looking back now, I can see that while I was technically good at both, I lacked the drive to really go for it.

Anyways, back to February 2008. I was convinced by friends to tag along on a trip to India for a few weeks. I think I went just to break up the monotony of everyday life. I had no 'real' interest in India or even travelling in general at that point in my life.

I may sound like a pretentious hippy when I say this, but India sort of jump started me back to life. The sights, the sounds, the smells, the people, the food (oh God, THE FOOD). I think it may have been the shock of being in a place that's so far removed from what my 'normal' life was accustomed to that point. My senses were awakened from their years long slumber. This is when I started to notice things. Details in the environment, expressions on peoples faces, the way the light was hitting this, that or the other. I would see something and say to myself, "That would make a great photo!", but (and there's always a 'but') I didn't even bring a camera with me. My senses were so numb before I left, that I just didn't see the point. This will always be one of the biggest regrets of my entire life. I still get angry about it to this day.

So I returned home from India frustrated and pretty pissed off with myself, but at the same time re-invigorated creatively. One of the first things I did once back on Irish soil was to buy a 'proper' camera. I never wanted to repeat that mistake in India ever again. If I saw something that moved me, I damn well wanted a camera there with me.

So, I now had a camera, but hadn't a clue how to use it. I took a lot of crappy photos back then (mostly landscapes and my poor attempts at street photography), but every so often I would find one that wasn't so bad. I'd try to figure out why this one photograph was good and the others were bad and learn from it. That's pretty much how I 'learned' to be a photographer, and still apply this process to what I do today.

Eventually I got tired of landscape photography and found myself drawn more to portraiture. I realized that absolutely none of my all time favorite photographs were landscapes, and almost all of them were portraits of some sort. So, I plucked up the courage to organise some shoots of my own and started to really enjoy the process. As I got better, more talented people were willing to work with me, which helped to elevate the quality of my work again. I then decided to leave my steady job in Limerick and move up here to Dublin to pursue photography full time. That was a little over a year ago.

It's early days, I don't earn nearly as much money as I did in my former profession back in Limerick just yet, but there's a lot to be said for job satisfaction.
    Boards-layoutcomp0021.jpg

2. What was your first professional assignment, and how did you get it?
    My first paying job was shooting a family event for a friend a few years back. It was pretty much a favor to them, but I did get payed. Although not that much.

I didn't really enjoy that experience to be honest. To me, it didn't really feel like photography. There wasn't really much scope for creativity, anyone could have done what I was asked to do that day. For a while after that job, I questioned whether I was actually cut out to be an actual photographer. It took a while for me to realize that just because I didn't enjoy one genre of photography didn't mean that I couldn't thrive in another.
    Boards-27.jpg

Boards-26.jpg

3. How does a photographer develop their own style?
    I don't think a photographer can consciously develop a 'style'. It happens organically over a period of years of constant shooting and by analyzing and learning from the work of others. In the beginning you'll mostly be attempting to emulate what others have done, but as time goes on, you'll learn what works for you and your vision and incorporate it into your own thought process.

I've been doing this for just a few years now, and I wouldn't consider myself to have a fully formed style of my own just yet. At the moment, I feel my work is an amalgamation of various influences (not necessarily photographers) cobbled together as best I can.
    Boards-layoutcomp007.jpg

4. How do you prepare for photo shoots?
    This is quite a broad question. Most of my personal shoots have weeks of preparation before the actual photography happens. It usually starts with an idea, often inspired by an image I saw, either online, in a magazine, in a movie or even in my head, and I'll then flesh the idea out from there.
    If it's something that needs to be shot on location, I'll start researching suitable places fairly quickly.
    Usually I'll try to reach out to various models, make up artists and stylists once I am confident I have a decent location.
    Once I have the rest of the team on board and we have decided on a date to shoot, I will start gathering images that I can use as inspiration from various sources online (I use Pinterest to keep them all organised as well as share with the rest of the team). These images will give everyone else a better understanding of the general tone and feel I want to achieve with the shoot.

The night before the shoot I check on all the equipment I think I'll need. I usually bring pretty much everything I own, as you just never know exactly what sort of situations you're going to find yourself in when on location.
    I charge and check all of my batteries (cameras, flashes, etc...), format my memory cards, clean all of my lenses and camera sensors and make sure they are all working properly.

I also make sure that myself and the rest of the team knows exactly how to get to the location.

In the few hours leading up to the shoot I am always very nervous. It's possible that I have never met any of the people I will be working with before, so I'm usually a little worried that they'll turn out to be difficult to deal with. This has rarely happened though. I'll often try to keep myself distracted by going over my ideas for the shoot, including the collection of inspiration images I had put together previously. By the time I start shooting, all the nerves are gone, and I'm left wondering what the fudge I was so worried about. This happens every time. Every. Damn. Time! :D
    Boards-17.jpg

5. Do you prefer to shoot digital or with film?
    If I had to choose one, I would shoot film the majority of the time. It's just not financially practical for me right now though. A roll of film seems to be getting more and more expensive these days.

Film, in my opinion, is superior to digital in many ways. It's much more forgiving when it comes to over/under exposing an image, film grain is a lot easier on the eye than its digital equivalent (noise) and just the look of film in general is more appealing to me. It's something you can (and I do) try to emulate digitally, but it's never quite the same to my eye. I guess you could liken it to listening to music on vinyl versus an mp3 file. The vinyl just has a little bit of magic that gets lost when everything is converted to ones and zeroes.

Having said that, you just can't beat the convenience that today's digital cameras have brought us. Being able to see the captured image instantly was a huge factor in how I learned to improve my photography. Also, the endless possibilities of what can be done these days in post production has become an art form in and of itself, and I think those possibilities often inspire me creatively as well.

I'm one of those guys who picked up a copy of Photoshop long before I ever picked up a camera, so i will always have a little bit of love for the digital image, no matter how much i get pulled more and more towards shooting film.

So, to answer your question, I shoot both :)
    Boards-layoutcomp0041.jpg

6. Whose work inspires you the most?
    Henri Cartier Bresson, Edward Steichen, Diane Arbus, Richard Avedon, Steve McCurry, Herb Ritts, Dan Winters, Mark Seliger, Gregory Heisler, Terry Richardson to name but a few.

Also, lots of ridiculously talented photographers over on http://500px.com/
    Boards-19.jpg

7. What qualities should a photographer have?
    I think the most important qualities photographers should have are, being a good problem solver, and the ability to learn from mistakes. If a shoot isn't going well, you need to be able to fix or work around the problem, all while maintaining your cool and making it look like everything is still going according to plan. Later on, you need to figure out what went wrong in the first place and take steps to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Also, being your own worst critic and harshest editor is very important in my opinion. No one wants to see twenty variations of the same image. You need to know which is the best image from those twenty and why, and only show that one image. Always only show your absolute best work. Always.
    Boards-layoutcomp006.jpg

8. Can you share any tips on how to take a better picture?
    If you take a photo and it doesn't look the way you want, don't settle for anything less than your best effort. Ask yourself what is wrong with the image. Figure out why it isn't perfect, is it the composition, exposure, pose, etc..? Then take another image making sure to make the necessary corrections. Keep doing this until you get the image you want. This is what I do every time I shoot.

Well, that's it from me. It was such an honour to be asked to contribute to this series, so I hope I have kept up the high standard already set by the others, and maybe it has given some insight into who I am and what I do.

Anyways, to close, I've included some of my street photography below. I don't really share or promote this stuff all that much. It's essentially just personal work that I enjoy doing in my spare time.

If anyone would like to get in touch, you can get at me through any of the links in my sig below.

Later,

B.
    Boards-layoutcomp0011.jpg

Boards-layoutcomp005.jpg

Boards-layoutcomp0031.jpg
    Ok, just one more image to round off this rambling. A dramatic pic of my little pup, Cosmo...
    Boards-30.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭aidanic

gloobag wrote: »
    ... Always only show your absolute best work. Always. ...

Thanks - a really nice piece. They've all been very interesting to read. And some good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

A great read Brian. Shocking to think you've only been doing this since 2008 and you're at that standard already. Id very much disagree with you not having your own style too. Possibly its your PP techniques or use of light but the majority of your shots Ive seen have a noticable collective look to them, and I very much mean that in a complimentary way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

Splinters wrote: »
    A great read Brian. Shocking to think you've only been doing this since 2008 and you're at that standard already. Id very much disagree with you not having your own style too. Possibly its your PP techniques or use of light but the majority of your shots Ive seen have a noticable collective look to them, and I very much mean that in a complimentary way.

completely agree! love the style a lot! it really works for the type of work you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Great post, very interesting read and I absolutely love your PP style as the guys mentioned above. Would love to hear more details on this! Especially the style used in pics 6-9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Splinters wrote: »
    completely agree! love the style a lot! it really works for the type of work you do.

Thanks :) Honestly (not that I would consider myself amazing right now, but...), I was crap up until about a year ago when I pushed myself to shoot regularly.

You really do learn so much by just getting out there and doing it. My biggest challenge to this day is directing people, but I think I'm miles better now than I was before I started.

I think maybe there is a certain consistency to my work rather than what I at least, would consider a style. The lighting is nearly always natural (although this is starting to change at the moment) and all of my images are processed in pretty much the same style, which relies heavily on colour manipulation/toning.
    ronanc15 wrote:
    Great post, very interesting read and I absolutely love your PP style as the guys mentioned above. Would love to hear more details on this! Especially the style used in pics 6-9.

There's no big secret or trick to what I do in post. I start in Lightroom and do my basic adjustments. Then I adjust the curves. I usually just fade the blacks and give the RGB colour channels a very slight 'S'curve. Then I play around with the split toning, I'm quite partial to a cool blue in the highlights and a reddish brown in the shadows, and then adjust the balance slider (tip: hold down 'alt' while doing this ;)) until I have a look I want.

At this point I usually import to Photoshop to do my skin retouching and basic fix ups of things that annoy me in the image. I will also play around with the selective colour adjustment layer (very powerful for colour toning!) and probably some more curves. Sometimes I add some coloured radial gradients set to the 'screen' blend mode (low opacity) as a sort of haze/flare. Then dodge/burn and after that liquify if it's needed. I then save all that as a .tiff file and bring it back to Lightroom.

Most of the time I'm done at this point, but with some of the images you referred to, I started all over again in Lightroom, adjusting curves, split toning and then the individual HSL sliders for each colour. Sometimes I'll also mess with the colour sliders in the camera calibration module.

That's it. It's hard to explain properly becuase I don't do it exactly the same way each time, but the meat of what I do is a lot of colour manipulation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Better dig out some portraits to practice on so :-) Thanks for the full explanation, it's great to see exactly how these pictures are reaching the finished product!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Great write-up Brian and I love your work. For me the hardest part of portrait photography is directing people and keeping the conversation flowing and keeping the mood upbeat while hiding any worries I might have over how the shoot is going.

Would you have any words of advice on how to direct posing and how to gain peoples trust so the subject/model feels relaxed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

kelly1 wrote: »
    Great write-up Brian and I love your work. For me the hardest part of portrait photography is directing people and keeping the conversation flowing and keeping the mood upbeat while hiding any worries I might have over how the shoot is going.

Would you have any words of advice on how to direct posing and how to gain peoples trust so the subject/model feels relaxed?

In my experience, it's always best to start proceedings off with a little chit chat without the camera dangling from your neck. About a half hour if you can. If you're setting up lights you can do it while you work. On location, I usually meet people a short walk away from where I want to shoot, so we have some time to chat before we get there.

Try to get to know them a bit. People love talking about themselves, it's human nature, so just keep asking questions to keep the conversation flowing. Where they're from, what they do, family, movies, music, TV, books, hobbies, education, current events, etc... More often than not, they'll end up saying something that's of particular interest to you, and that will take the conversation in another direction. Before you know it, you're having a proper conversation and getting to know each other. Things don't feel as awkward anymore (for both you and your subject), which makes for a more relaxed atmosphere for the shoot. Once this happens, you'll feel more comfortable asking your subject to do things, and they will feel more comfortable doing them, as you have built up a bit of mutual trust.

One thing that I've done to create a fun atmosphere (I actually stole this one from Jeremy Cowart), is have someone off camera read from a joke book or something similar to me and my subject while I shoot. The cheesier the better (I used a book of funny facts). You'll get some great natural expressions. Works well for groups (bands etc...).

For posing, I used to try and micro-direct people, telling them every slight movement to make, but I soon realized that this leads to static images, with 'dead' expressions on peoples faces. Nowadays, I prefer movement.

Professional models know how to constantly move between shutter clicks, and this can be good, but you will find that eventually they will start to recycle some of their library of poses. I usually do my best to get the shots between the poses, if I find a model is particularly 'posey' (if that makes any sense). Trying to catch them a little more natural. What I often try to do is have the subject walk into the frame, or even just take one or two steps towards me while I fire off a few shots.

The most important thing for me in a portrait though is the facial expression, and in particular the eyes. If you don't have something honest going on in the face, the image is a loser to me. It took me many failures to cop on to this. Some peolple are just naturals at giving you good facial expressions, but for those that aren't, I have a few 'tricks':

• Ask them to look through you. Sounds stupid but you'd be surprised how often it works. Getting them to look over your shoulder also works.
    • Ask them to look at something in the distance. This should make them squint a bit, which I find is usually more pleasing visually for most peoples eyes.
    • If they'll be looking into the lens for the shot, have them look at the ground or close their eyes, then have them look up at you and instantly take the shot. You should catch the eyes before they readjust and become a dead stare.
    • Ask them to relax their mouth or drop their lip. Visually, it's nice to have a bit of space between the lips.
    • For smiles, I always ask for a slight smile. Most people will understand what you mean by that. I rarely like photos of people sporting big cheesy grins. I find a slight cocky/confident/roguish smile makes for a more interesting implied story behind the image.
    • Ask for a tiny bit of pressure on the brow if you want something a little more serious.
    • If I'm in a nice location, I may simply have them stand in place and have a look around taking in the scenery. Just keep shooting and you're bound to get an honest look in there somewhere.
    • I always try to capture a version of whatever pose/action the subject is doing with their eyes closed. It doesn't always work, but sometimes it can give the illusion of a more emotional moment.
    • You can put all of these together with a little story. It doesn't have to be elaborate. It can be things like, "Someone is waving to you in the distance, and you're trying to make out who it is", or "Someone seems to be following you. You look back to see where they are". Things like this can make it a little more understandable, and enjoyable for the subject.

You should also keep in mind that everyone is different, so you're going to come across people that just don't respond well to anything. I've had agency represented models in front of my camera that hadn't a clue what to do with what I asked of them. And then I've had musicians who've never had a proper photo taken before turn out to be complete naturals. Some folks are just on a different wavelength, so don't go beating yourself up over it.

Okay, I think I've rambled on long enough now. You now know just about everything I can consciously think of on the subject. I'm sure there's subconscious things at work too, but where would I begin with that? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Brian, that's really useful :). Thanks so much for taking the time to write this. I'll archive this and I'm sure it'll come in very useful at a later date.

Advertisement