Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemarathon 7/4/2013

Options
  • 02-11-2012 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I am starting a thread here for Connemarathon 2013, Half, Full and Ultra. I am doing the Ultra myself.

This is last years thread

This is the format Micilín used to start last years with boardsies stating what distance they were doing. Hope this is ok, I am a bit of a newbie :)

Half:

Full:

Ultra:
    johnsherwin

Did DCM this week and getting out this weekend to keep training up. Going to be a long winter! Any tips or advice for Ultra training would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 R O B

This is the format Micilín used to start last years with boardsies stating what distance they were doing. Hope this is ok, I am a bit of a newbie

Half:

Full:
    R O B

Ultra:
    johnsherwin

My second marathon (haven't actually signed up yet). Just did DCM in 3.52 and was ok after so looking forward to another one. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Garmin Routes:
    Half Marathon
    Full Marathon
    Ultra Marathon

Half:

Full:
    R O B

Ultra:
    johnsherwin
    Cabaal

Its going to be my third ultra...atleast thats the plan ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 johnsherwin

A friend running the Ultra with me has sourced a 56k training programme on http://www.twooceansmarathon.org.za/training/training/56-km-training. Schedule is for 15 weeks that would pretty much take us from here to the Donadea 50 which I am thinking of signing up for, from there on to Connemarathon! Havent looked at the schedule in detail but will have a look and post any thoughts on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Half:

Full:

R O B
    The Rook

Ultra:
    johnsherwin
    Cabaal

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Half:
    Bugsy2000

Full:
    R O B
    The Rook

Ultra:
    johnsherwin
    Cabaal

I know most of my running mates will probably be doing the full with a few looking at the ultra so I'll be getting plenty of milage in. But I just love the half in Connemara. Looking to hammer my time too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

What`s the entry fee for this anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

I think its around 70 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Runonewon

subscriber wrote: »
    What`s the entry fee for this anyone?

70 euros for a half marathon,we've talked about this before on this forum,its still shockingly expensive.i would'nt mind running it again but once bitten......

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Runonewon wrote: »
    70 euros for a half marathon,we've talked about this before on this forum,its still shockingly expensive.i would'nt mind running it again but once bitten......

and for the full?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

subscriber wrote: »
    and for the full?

Think its 70 euro for half, marathon or ultra...Website : http://www.connemarathon.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Half:
    Bugsy2000

Full:
    R O B
    The Rook

Ultra:
    johnsherwin
    Cabaal
    Vagga

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

keen to do the half, anyone have recommendations on where to stay the night before.
    the clifden station house seems to have a min 2 night stay for €320
    whats the pillo in galway like, how far is galway from the start of the half,
    apologies for all the questions but would like to get the ball rolling on this one
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

jfh wrote: »
    keen to do the half, anyone have recommendations on where to stay the night before.
    the clifden station house seems to have a min 2 night stay for €320
    whats the pillo in galway like, how far is galway from the start of the half,
    apologies for all the questions but would like to get the ball rolling on this one
    thanks

Any Hotel in Galway is fine, city centreor thesalthill side is better as there is a free bus to the start of each race leaving from the cathedral car park.
    There are buses to drop you abck to the cathedral after the race as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

menoscemo wrote: »
    Any Hotel in Galway is fine, city centreor thesalthill side is better as there is a free bus to the start of each race leaving from the cathedral car park.
    There are buses to drop you abck to the cathedral after the race as well.

Pillo hotel is where they had the number pickup and "expo" last year. It's a little out of town for getting to the cathedral, but come to think about it, there's not too many very close to the cathedral at all.
    An alternative option could be Oughterard, buses leaving from the gaa pitch there too - shorter journey out as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭McWotever

Pick a B&B in Clifden, don't pay the ridiculous prices the Station House is charging. Great atmosphere round the town that weekend, especially the Sunday night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭opus

Half:
    Bugsy2000

Full:
    R O B
    The Rook

Ultra:
    johnsherwin
    Cabaal
    Vagga
    opus

Half:
    Bugsy2000

Full:
    R O B
    The Rook
    dev123

Ultra:
    johnsherwin
    Cabaal
    Vagga
    opus

Something to keep me focused over the winter. Tis on my doorstep so will make a change from having to travel. Best of luck to all with the training

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Half:
    Bugsy2000

Full:
    R O B
    The Rook
    dev123

Ultra:
    johnsherwin
    Cabaal
    Vagga
    opus
    Killerz

Looking forward to this one, just signed up the other day. Signed up for the 2010 edition, but moved away to Canada and couldn't do it. Cut my ultra teeth on the trails in Canada, and looking forward to doing it in Connemara 2013!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 archie72

hi, am thinking of doing the ultra in connemara, does anyone have a tried and trusted training plan, or is there any good training book that you can recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Stephenduffy08

Half:
    Bugsy2000

Full:
    R O B
    The Rook
    dev123
    Stephenduffy08

Ultra:
    johnsherwin
    Cabaal
    Vagus

Done the half last year and loved it... Missed out on DCM this year and last year due to injuries, so this will be my first marathon using the Hal higdon plan but going to include lots of hills, how tough is the full compared to the half ? Am I mad attempting this as my first marathon

• Advertisement

archie72 wrote: »
    hi, am thinking of doing the ultra in connemara, does anyone have a tried and trusted training plan, or is there any good training book that you can recommend

Hi archie, have a look at this thread which is on the main page.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056796169?page=1#post_81823306

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

Having completed DCM this year I really have the bug.My ambition is to complete an Ultra marathon so I think this is one for me. Although I'm relatively new to running I felt after Dublin I could have gone further. Also hopefully going do the donadea 50k, but really want to complete connemarathon ultra

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Half:
    Bugsy2000

Full:
    R O B
    The Rook
    dev123
    Stephenduffy08

Ultra:
    johnsherwin
    Cabaal
    Vagga
    opus
    Killerz

Fixing who is doing what list after it got messed up

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

archie72 wrote: »
    have a look threw my training blog,i ran connemara this year,you dont have to do the miles i did but you can get an idea,have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

have a look threw my training blog,i ran connemara this year,you dont have to do the miles i did but you can get an idea,have fun.
    Thank fcuk :P

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Half:
    Bugsy2000

Full:
    R O B
    The Rook
    dev123
    Stephenduffy08
    ciancullinan

Ultra:
    johnsherwin
    Cabaal
    Vagga
    opus
    Killerz

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

Half:
    Bugsy2000

Full:
    R O B
    The Rook
    dev123
    Stephenduffy08
    Conseng

Ultra:
    johnsherwin
    Cabaal
    Vagga
    opus
    Killerz

Looking forward to this. Wasn't so sure when I left a piece of my shin on a park bench this morning. Need to watch where I'm going a bit better.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Half:
    Bugsy2000

Full:
    R O B
    The Rook
    dev123
    Stephenduffy08
    ciancullinan
    Conseng

Ultra:
    johnsherwin
    Cabaal
    Vagga
    opus
    Killerz

FTFY

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Hi all,

Am training for the full and have a question for anyone who has run Connemara before and who may have also ran Howth Head.

I read that the profile of Howth Head is very similar to the profile of the "Hell of the West" incline and have been going out there for the past few week's long runs on a Saturday to get used to some hill running.

My questions is, is the route that most resembles the Connemarathon route the one where you run into the village with the sea on your left and then run up the main street keeping the church on your right (which is v v steep) or the other direction which is running from the Marine Hotel in Sutton out towards Sutton Strand (whih is more of a dragging hill) and then once you reach the summit you go down to the Village?

I can't imagine that it would be the former as I can't see that there would be an incline like that for 2 strraight miles!! Can anyone clarify it for me?!!

Many thanks

The Rook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

The Rook wrote: »
    Hi all,

Am training for the full and have a question for anyone who has run Connemara before and who may have also ran Howth Head.

I read that the profile of Howth Head is very similar to the profile of the "Hell of the West" incline and have been going out there for the past few week's long runs on a Saturday to get used to some hill running.

My questions is, is the route that most resembles the Connemarathon route the one where you run into the village with the sea on your left and then run up the main street keeping the church on your right (which is v v steep) or the other direction which is running from the Marine Hotel in Sutton out towards Sutton Strand (whih is more of a dragging hill) and then once you reach the summit you go down to the Village?

I can't imagine that it would be the former as I can't see that there would be an incline like that for 2 strraight miles!! Can anyone clarify it for me?!!

Many thanks

The Rook

There is one part of HOTW that is as steep as your first hill there, but it doesn't last the full 2 miles :) No harm in training on it!

Actually, the hill at 13 miles in Connemara is steeper but shorter than HOTW...

Advertisement