Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Classic Str-----etch Limo thread

• 31-10-2012 12:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭

As an alternative to the longstanding Hearse thread on here heres one for the Limousines.

If its stretched- post it here!:D

Ill start off with some of my favourite Limos of the late 70s and early 80s, the Colman Milne cars..

coleman_milne_grosvenor_fastback_red_1975.jpg
    1975 Coleman Milne Grosvenor Fastback or Coupe Limo as its often known as. Surely one of the best looking Limos ever?

coleman_milne_grosvenor_mkv_limo_black_1974.jpg
    1974 Coleman Milne Grosvenor Mark V Limousine. Based on the MK1 Granada.

coleman_milne_grosvenor_black_side_1983.jpg
    1983 Coleman Milne Grosvenor . Based on the MK2 Granada.

coleman_milne_minster_tan_1979.jpg
    1979 Coleman Milne Minster, Pre facelift MK2 Granada.

coleman_milne_minster_black_1983.jpg
    1983 Coleman Milne Minster , post facelift.

coleman_milne_windsor_white_1983.jpg
    1983 Coleman Milne Windsor , the mega stretched Mk2 Granada Estate. Id love one of these!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Heres a Grosvenor Coupe Limo as featured in Popular Classics magazine (remember that!) in August 1990.

IMG_8027.png

And the same Limo a few years ago. Even too far gone for the Banger boys!
    IMG_8021.png

IMG_8022.png
    Rustproofing was not exactly up to a high standard on the 33' stretched centre section.

IMG_8024.png

Pics are from the Ford Granada MK1 & MK2 Drivers Guild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

Its hard to believe its the same car. But I'm told it was the only one to feature those 'pleated' type seats.

Although there were 12 built I can only account for 11 of them.

An Irish registered Grosvenor
    mk1granadalimo.jpg

An Irish registered Windsor.
    83ky928.jpg

Minster
    IMG_0010.jpg

A MK1 Grosvenor.
    IMG_0006.jpg

And Freddie Heinekens Bombproof Granada!
    FREDDIE_HEINEKENS_GRANADA.jpg

Although there were 12 built I can only account for 11 of them.
    Of the 12 made originally, supposedly about 4/5 survive. The Banger boys have chewed up quite a few, the first one being raced in 1987. If you have any photos of original cars do post them.

As far as I can tell;
    6 have been banger raced
    1 has been scraped
    1 here in Ireland
    2 on the road in England, one black and one white.
    1 written off brand new

• Advertisement

5869688100_2bfc86c902_z.jpg

Is this the Black one as seen above, on a different registration?
    Andy_Gray_Ford_Granada_Mk1_Coupe.jpg

The rotten car appears to be the car from Popular Classics.

The car with the Ghia alloys was originally the Mayor of Sidcups car. Note it has a Mk2 Granada front valance fitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Freddie Heinekens Bombproof Granada

US ambassador here used to have one same colour as it , and there was a Grosvenor in use as a taxi up at the airport.:eek:

The car with the Ghia alloys was originally the Mayor of Sidcups car. Note it has a Mk2 Granada front valance fitted.

A David George of the Granada club has this to say
    I have owned my black coupe limo for the last ten years. Bought from Cumnock in Scotland. He drove home beautifully. The number of limos built was twelve and as far as I know the number left is four including mine. PGY 788R started life as a Granada S then was made into a limo using coupe parts. Built 1976 but not the road til 1977. When new it belonged to the Mayor of Sidcup after that it was the usual wedding and funeral work til I bought it in 1998. If anybody recognizes the registration number I would be thankful of any information on it. Regarding other coupe limos there are two in the Granada Guild and another in Norfolk this one can be seen on the Classic Hearse Register website. Dave

Built from an S from Coupe parts? Not originally a Coupe so it would seem, I wonder were some of the other cars similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ianofitz

Who owns the irish reg Grosvenor coupe now? Is it still knocking around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭aidhan

I acquired this 1980 original Irish 250 petrol limo last year. Needs a lot of work. Last on the road in '99.
    100_1614-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

aidhan wrote: »
    I acquired this 1980 original Irish 250 petrol limo last year. Needs a lot of work. Last on the road in '99.
    100_1614-2.jpg

I had one of those a few years ago, 777BPI, EX O'Conners funeral directors Cork, it was a 250 automatic, fairly spun out by the time I got it.
    There was an ex Gerry Adams bullet proof stretched Granada estate for sale on Gumtree about a year or so ago too.

ianofitz wrote: »
    Who owns the irish reg Grosvenor coupe now? Is it still knocking around?

It is still knocking around.
    This photo was taken in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭TRNIALL

It is still knocking around.
    This photo was taken in recent years.
    Somebody has a Collection,is that not another one beside it.

TRNIALL wrote: »
    Somebody has a Collection,is that not another one beside it.

That's just a Granada coupe.

That's just a Granada coupe.

Another sexy motor!

IMG_8101.jpg
    Catalogue front page

IMG_8105.jpg

IMG_8108.jpg

IMG_8107.jpg

Heres three of the Banger raced ones...

This was the first one raced, at the Spedeweekend '87 in Ipswitch
    IMG_8113.jpg

IMG_8099.png

GROSVENOR_V_ELLIS85.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

This machine has been for sale on DD for an age. Not really worth anything .

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3666555

View2-13121256.jpeg

Saab Ed wrote: »
    This machine has been for sale on DD for an age. Not really worth anything .

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3666555

View2-13121256.jpeg

Would make a nice people carrier instead of a Galaxy or Zafira!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

longest-limousine-in-the-world.jpg

Longest limo in the world - over 100ft :eek:

http://www.booklimo.co.uk/the-longest-limousine-in-the-world.php

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

Carchaeologist, tried to download my white 250 Limo. from D.D. I am not much good with my P.C. Feel free to do it, if you wish to add another to your list!!:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

That reminds me of john dodds beast sorry for the poor pic it was the only one I could find with the rolls grille.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    That reminds me of john dodds beast sorry for the poor pic it was the only one I could find with the rolls grille.

I'm sure I have an article on that beast in an old Street Machine magazine, must take a look.

Top Gear featured it too:

mb1725 wrote: »
    longest-limousine-in-the-world.jpg

Longest limo in the world - over 100ft :eek:

http://www.booklimo.co.uk/the-longest-limousine-in-the-world.php

http://www.jayohrberg.com/American_Dream_100ft.html

A good website on it here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

Was out for a walk with the dogs this morning and came across a black
    Daimler ds420 with an old irish reg 337 MRI lying up in a yard full of old
    cars!!pics to follow,does that reg or car ring any bells??

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4193794
    Anyone see this? 7,500 squids? hmm a bit much to be asking imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

The Daimler i spotted earlier is a 1974/75 car Dublin reg,will have the pics up tomorrow when i figure out how ta transfer from fone ta pc!!!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ShevY

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ianofitz wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4193794
    Anyone see this? 7,500 squids? hmm a bit much to be asking imo
    That glass doesn't look bulletproof to me.

Me neither, that's a bit of a clown of a thing really isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

Anan1 wrote: »
    That glass doesn't look bulletproof to me.

i wonder is he selling second hand head stones as well ?,i see there is one in one of the pics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

mb1725 wrote: »
    I'm sure I have an article on that beast in an old Street Machine magazine, must take a look.

Top Gear featured it too:

Remember reading about that in auto express about 15 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭salamander27

Sorry about image quality but I took these around 2009 with a rubbish phone in a field just of the N18 in Labane and it was probably scrapped weeks later. It was in a rough old state having been lying in a ditch for some time at the other side of the field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

John Dodd's Beast is alive and well and living in Malaga, where it gets regular outings. He runs a transmission shop there and is receptive to visitors !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

Saw this unusual American Limo on carandclassic this evening, not exactly a looker :rolleyes:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C148226

checker.jpg

The ad is pretty useless really but its a 1965 Checker Aerobus

The Checker Aerobus is a seven- (including the tailgate) or nine-door station wagon, or a six- or eight-door sedan, manufactured on two different wheelbases by the Checker Motors Corporation from 1962 until 1977 (although none were built in 1975). Meant primarily to serve as an airport shuttle, as indicated by the name, it is an extended version of the iconic Checker Marathon. From its introduction through the 1964 model year, the Aerobus used Chrysler V8s, but when Checker Motors shifted from Continental to Chevrolet engines for 1965 the Aerobus line followed suit.

The early cars used Chrysler's A318 V8 (5,210 cc), originally with 190 hp and later 200 hp. During 1965 the Aerobus switched to Chevrolet's 327 cu in (5,354 cc) small-block engine, with 185 hp (138 kW) at 4,400 rpm.

You can read more about them here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checker_Aerobus

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

For E9000, what a car, what a bargain, all things being equal, wish I had the space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Saw this unusual American Limo on carandclassic this evening, not exactly a looker :rolleyes:

Telephone number for that car is for Monarch Properties, one of the companies under investigation by the Mahon Tribunal, good insight into them here if anyone has time.

First saw one of those Checkers in Dog Day Afternoon, they used it to get to the airport, a great film but a bit of an oddball yoke, wonder what it's fuel consumption is with all that weight.

Heres a Glenfrome Laurel.
    C32UKlimo1crop.jpg

R25
    t-116_1672b.jpg

V6turbo-Boonacker-2.jpg

Stretchy poojoe
    heu1.jpg

h6g2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

3860020236_1825849e41_z.jpg
    Austin 1800 Stretch Limousine by Albert S. Bite, on Flickr

I quite like this Woodall Nicholson Austin 1800 limo. From memory it's less than 16' long too. (which would make it shorter than a Jaguar XJ saloon - handy if you don't have an extra-long garage.)

Funny too how the rear door still retains its wheel arch cut away even though its no longer up against the wheel well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

That 604 is one of the best looking best executed limos I've ever seen, but a bitch to climb in and out of the back seat I'd say.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7z1cCaS9scpwIYa4evW-grT0RHcMBMc75SHcpBP8dmFG-To7sZA

That 604 has folding ocasional seats in the middle to ease access.

While we're on a French theme.........

Citroen SM Opera by Henri Chapron.

citroen_sm_opera_1.jpg

SM Presidentielle, used since the early 70's by French Presidents, still in use at official occasions today.

1813_tc-2010_citroen-sm-presidentielle.jpg

Tissier's stretch XM the "Majeste"

tissier4.jpg

Between 1989 and 1998, Emil Mlakar Engineering from Maribor in Slovenia offered several lengthened versions of the XM. Three bodystyles were on offer, a four door, lengthened by 500 mm; a six door lengthened by 950 mm and a Break lengthened by 300 mm.

eme.jpg

There's a good bit of info on Stretch Limo's from around Europe, including many belonging to heads of state here.

http://mitglied.multimania.de/albeyer/id42.htm

Plenty of stuff at the top of that page too, links to German, English and other Limo's, the Asian and Eatern Limos are worth a look too, especially like this Cuban effort:

3bc6dc00.jpg

Here are a couple of the Queens cars and the French presidential Citroen SM from Goodwood this year.

A Nissan Cedric Bridal car. Japanese brides have very elaborate hair/hat combos and the hatch is there for ease of entry on the big day. In it's normal guise this car is a standard taxi that has the hatch closed for ordinary business.

0a648b90.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

That's one of Matt Roches of this parish, he gives a great lesson in how to word an advertisement in that too.
    1980 Mercedes 250 Limo, 4door. This is an orignal Irish car, with the orignal brown tax book. It was first owned by Murrays Chauffer Hire, until 1988, it has had 4 owners since then. The milage of 109 K is not guaranteed, but I believe is correct. I have just had it N.C.T. until JAN. 2014. The car has had a lot of body work done to it, including new wheel arches. It looks and drives very well. It could be used as a play toy for shows & rallys, or made earn its keep as a wedding limo. It is very clean inside and outside, it looks very impressive. Remember, it is 32 years old, so dont expect a perfect car, in mint condition for this money, it is near mint, and near perfect. Come and view the car, and make me on offer that I cant refuse, no reasonable offer refused. This car is in Shannon, Co Clare. NO timewasters, Private No., or TXTs. If E.Mailing, leave a Phone No. and I will call you back. otherwise I will ignore it. Thank you for looking

Saab Ed wrote: »

Thats been up for a while now, wonder if its any good

• Advertisement
Advertisement