Accomadation for fleadh 2013 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-08-2012, 11:58   #1
cuddlylad

Accomadation for fleadh 2013

Hey all,

I will be travelling to derry for the fleadh ceol on 2013. As i have never been before, im not really sure where to look for accom. some mentioned that diamond square is fairly centeral.

Will be looking for a good size house to rent for a week from 14th Aug t0 20th Aug 2013, so anyone on here with a house to rent in derry city center or know of anything please get in touch

thanks

di de diddly di de dum di diddly di di dum!!!
Advertisement
01-09-2012, 14:31   #2
Penfailed

Contact a few of the local estate agents and see how you go. I'm not sure that you will be able to rent a house for only one week to be honest but what's the harm in asking. Derry is a fairly compact city so most places are within walking distance.
20-10-2012, 21:11   #3
NIMAN

Would you be interested in a hostel?

http://www.fairmanhouse.co.uk/
Thanks from:
23-10-2012, 14:20   #4
Seanchai
Banned

Another person here interested in this issue. Perhaps a sticky on this forum until after the Fleadh because there seem to be a lot of shysters taking advantage of people?

On Booking.com the City Hotel in Derry is charging €1,472.05 for a double room for two nights. See it with your own eyes (Friday 16 August & Saturday 17 August 2013)

The cheapest hotels available seem to be in Letterkenny, c. 40km away. Is there anywhere in rural Derry or Donegal that would be a good accommodation choice and have any of the hotels outside Derry city the foresight to run a complimentary bus/shuttle service during the Fleadh?

The Iona Inn guesthouse in Derry city is available for €202 for the same nights, but the reviews are terrifying.

Anybody have serious accommodation options for a couple looking for a bit of culture for that weekend? Ideally we'd like to be able to be somewhere near the centre to hear the seisiúin on the streets at 4am.
23-10-2012, 14:26   #5
munchkin_utd

for the fleadh in cavan the organisors had a whol network of people offering spare rooms for a night or 2 and there was a campsite also organised.
I'd say leave it to nearer the time if nothing is coming up on the hotel booking websites.

Its also worth mentioning that some hotels dont really release their rooms so far in advance online. Its about 10 months now till the fleadh so maybe go back to the old fashoned telephone and ring around to see if theres hotels that have beds that arent being advertised?
Advertisement
23-10-2012, 14:49   #6
Seanchai
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchkin_utd View Post
for the fleadh in cavan the organisors had a whol network of people offering spare rooms for a night or 2 and there was a campsite also organised.
True, very true. They did, and I know of people who ended up without accommodation at a petrol station in Cavan and the attendant made a few phone calls and fixed them up with accommodation in a friend's house.

I like taking the piss out of Kyaavan people as they are all mean bastards. However, I'll say it quietly and only once, the entire town was absolutely brilliant for all three fleánna there. There were so many examples of warmth and kindness and generosity throughout it. It is one of the few examples I've seen of an entire community pulling together to work collectively for the area. Much respect.

The problem with leaving it until later is that prices absolutely rocket, or at least this was the case in Cavan each year. My problem in each year was not knowing when to book, because each time I tried to book the prices were unrealistic. I expect to pay more, but €200 per night for a 3 star for any night should be a source of shame to the people concerned.
Thanks from:
23-10-2012, 15:54   #7
munchkin_utd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanchai View Post
<snip>
The problem with leaving it until later is that prices absolutely rocket, or at least this was the case in Cavan each year. My problem in each year was not knowing when to book, because each time I tried to book the prices were unrealistic. I expect to pay more, but €200 per night for a 3 star for any night should be a source of shame to the people concerned.
ach, to be honest its not that far out of kilter.

The Cavan crystal for example is the guts of 160 to 180 per room normally.
I've been to a wedding in Sligo when the rooms were over 200 euro and that was nothing more than a 3 star (well, they displayed 4 stars but they are anything but!)
If you go to Dublin when theres a big event you'll be looking at the guts of 200 euro.
In Munich or other cities on the continent the biggest dives that might only be 50euro a night normally look for over 200 euro when theres big demand.

Best try and get a b+b as they tend not to pull the pish as much as hotels. Maybe something just out the road on the Donegal side ?
26-10-2012, 20:37   #8
kboc

this is not the last you have heard of this issue. The authorities are unofficially saying on the qt that there is simply not enough accom in Derry for this event. they are desparately looking for pupil to offer rooms, houses, anything to put visitors up.

Good luck
26-10-2012, 21:02   #9
Seanchai
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kboc View Post
this is not the last you have heard of this issue. The authorities are unofficially saying on the qt that there is simply not enough accom in Derry for this event. they are desparately looking for pupil to offer rooms, houses, anything to put visitors up.

Good luck
If Cavan town (3607, urban population) can do it, Derry (93,512, urban population) can do it. But definitely Derry's population is going to have to be part of the success of Derry in terms of accommodation (and many other things) just as Cavan's population was.
Advertisement
27-10-2012, 21:30   #10
NIMAN

I think there was an official advert recently in the local media for people willing to offer good standard accommodation for the event.

Bottom line is that the city has a lack of hotel rooms. For normal tourist trade what we have now is probably more than enough, but for the CoC and the Fleadh there is going to be a massive supply problem. I think 5 or 6 new hotels were touted for being open for 2012, but only 1 will be finished, with others being ready in 2013 (no point in that).

I can see a lot of people having to stay outside the city, but thats not very practical if you are staying in say Donegal, and are trying to get back out to your accommodation if in Derry late in the evening. Transport is also an issue.
30-10-2012, 10:19   #11
smashey
Administrator

Admin: GAA Mods, GAA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanchai View Post
Another person here interested in this issue. Perhaps a sticky on this forum until after the Fleadh because there seem to be a lot of shysters taking advantage of people?

On Booking.com the City Hotel in Derry is charging €1,472.05 for a double room for two nights. See it with your own eyes (Friday 16 August & Saturday 17 August 2013)

The cheapest hotels available seem to be in Letterkenny, c. 40km away. Is there anywhere in rural Derry or Donegal that would be a good accommodation choice and have any of the hotels outside Derry city the foresight to run a complimentary bus/shuttle service during the Fleadh?

The Iona Inn guesthouse in Derry city is available for €202 for the same nights, but the reviews are terrifying.

Anybody have serious accommodation options for a couple looking for a bit of culture for that weekend? Ideally we'd like to be able to be somewhere near the centre to hear the seisiúin on the streets at 4am.
Try booking directly on the city hotel's website where the rooms are showing for £159 - £174
(2) thanks from:
04-04-2013, 17:59   #12
guttenberg

Quote:
<SNIP>
Check the various estate agents websites to see what similar size houses nearby are going for and work from that. I'd suggest sticking an ad on adverts.ie/gumtree offering the house, classifieds in local paper probably won't be much use considering who your aiming for.

Last edited by muffler; 04-04-2013 at 18:21. Reason: removing quote from banned user
04-04-2013, 18:22   #13
muffler

Sorry guttenberg, I forgot to remove that post as the member concerned has been banned. Accordingly I have removed the quoted text from your post.
Thanks from:
09-04-2013, 22:30   #14
Upperthird

Fleadh accomodation 2013

Cuddlylad.It maybe difficult to find accomodation in and around Derry city. I live 6 miles from city centre in Donegal.should be plenty of houses to rent.I'm involved in a local Gaa club we are looking to set up camp site,all facilities in place secure parking,showering, toilets,Bar,dance hall etc,the village has two restaurant pubs takeaways all 10 minutes from City centre.
23-04-2013, 13:05   #15
NIMAN

Planning for large camp sites?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-norther...-west-22261324

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size