Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seatbelts save lives... not always!

Options
  • 27-10-2012 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭

If that guy had a seatbelt on, he wouldn't survive most likely.
    Without seatbelts he ended pretty good.

Obviously statistically seatbelts save lives.
    But from time to time there is a situation where actually lack of seatbelts saved life.

A friend of mine lost her daughter in car accident. There was 4 people (teenagers) in the car. Only my friends daughter had seatbelts on, and she was the only one who died. Since then, my friend never wears seatbelts.

I know it's stupid, because statistically in most accidents seatbelts will help you. But does anyone believe in luck and avoid wearing seatbelts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Lawless2k12

Well I was in a crash a couple months ago and I wore my seat belt and did not even have a bruise even though the whole drivers side frame crumpled, door caved, windscreen and sidewindows smashed and the whole car was wrote off but I didn't even have an ache the next day and I thank my seatbelt. Kept me stuck to the seat and away from danger. I'd rather have a tiny chance of serious injury from wearing my belt than having a large chance of serious injury from no belt (Provided the crash isn't HUGE). It's utter stupidity to not wear your belt as it might kill you 1 out of 50 crashes, but it will save you the other 49!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

It's stupid and reckless not to wear a seat belt. I personally know someone who came off worse because he was wearing one, but the fact remains you have a much better chance of walking away from a crash with a seatbelt on. There is also the consideration of the other passengers too, plus the fact that its illegal not to wear one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I'd rather not be forcibly ejected through the windscreen. Seatbelt for me. Still have to remind my dad to though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Thankfully there aren't many Lada Riva's on our roads anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I doubt average Irish corolla would look much better after such accident.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

QFT, seatbelt or not, if you crash in one of those it is not going to end well either way. That lad had a seriously lucky escape and there is a saying undertaking is for undertakers and he nearly ended up there. Carcam's must be very popular in the ex USSR when you see the amount of videos of crashes and dangerous driving up on youtube.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

CiniO wrote: »
    I doubt average Irish corolla would look much better after such accident.

I would have to disagree.

It wouldn't look pretty all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Quote a reckless wee move by the Lada..... I believe this to be one of those freak accidents where a Seat belt, yes would have probably ended his life. In saying that, they save lives in so many other circumstances....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

I would have to disagree.

It wouldn't look pretty all the same.

Aye, but the handling was pretty shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Just cause he walked away dose not mean he didn't drop dead. Internal injuries and all that, plus the body can pump adrenaline around in them circumstances and it can hide injury, plus he was holding his head to. Personally I will stick with the seat belt.

Anyone remember them to crazy bitches in England, your one got a smack of an Articulated Lorry and was out of the head and still resisting arrest?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Reckless prick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Hal Decks

The original piece showed a side impact which would probably have had the same result with a seat belt.
    An idiot like that should be banned for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

If that guy had a seatbelt on, he wouldn't survive most likely.
    Without seatbelts he ended pretty good.

Obviously statistically seatbelts save lives.
    But from time to time there is a situation where actually lack of seatbelts saved life.

A friend of mine lost her daughter in car accident. There was 4 people (teenagers) in the car. Only my friends daughter had seatbelts on, and she was the only one who died. Since then, my friend never wears seatbelts.

I know it's stupid, because statistically in most accidents seatbelts will help you. But does anyone believe in luck and avoid wearing seatbelts?

Wonderful stopping by the 5 series in the background. . . plenty of thread eatin in those 50 odd meters of stopping. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Show my how a seat belt would have ended his life in this accident. I see absolutely no proof. FACT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Undertaking

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Can she be done for criminal damage to the truck.
    msg11 wrote: »
    Just cause he walked away dose not mean he didn't drop dead. Internal injuries and all that, plus the body can pump adrenaline around in them circumstances and it can hide injury, plus he was holding his head to. Personally I will stick with the seat belt.

Anyone remember them to crazy bitches in England, your one got a smack of an Articulated Lorry and was out of the head and still resisting arrest?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

She got released from Hospital and stabbed someone the next day killing him. She was propper mental. The other sister now lives in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Also the seat belt wouldn't of caused anything here. Its not like its a 5 point seat belt where you are bolted to the spot he would of just moved left as he would of had a 3 point seat belt on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

There's a surprising amount of superstition and carelessness about seatbelts, though the compliance rate is much higher than it used to be.

I am always surprised when I see, for example, Garda officers, including Traffic Corps, driving without seatbelts. They may be exempt from the legislation but not from the laws of Physics.

Some years ago, in another European country which shall remain nameless, I recall travelling in the back of a car with some natives. Their law at the time was that seatbelts only had to be worn outside city limits. When returning to the city, they would unclip their seatbelts the instant they passed the sign marking the city boundary. Bizarre.

Warning: video below is distressing (in my opinion anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Iwannahurl wrote: »

Some years ago, in another European country which shall remain nameless, I recall travelling in the back of a car with some natives. Their law at the time was that seatbelts only had to be worn outside city limits. When returning to the city, they would unclip their seatbelts the instant they passed the sign marking the city boundary. Bizarre.

I don't know obviously which country you mean, but I remember in the 80s, when we used to travel with my gransparents, to my aunt who lived about 3km outside the city limits, so they always pulled seatbelts down and hold them by hand in case some police offices would see them, as they were saying it's not worth cliping them in just for 3km journay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I wear a seatbelt and if you're in the seat behind me you'll be wearing a seatbelt too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

biko wrote: »
    I wear a seatbelt and if you're in the seat behind me you'll be wearing a seatbelt too.

In my car, no seatbelt = no lift.

Show my how a seat belt would have ended his life in this accident. I see absolutely no proof. FACT

His head would still be where the roof ended up. FACT

His head might still be where the roof ended up. OPINION

FYP

Don't post such nonsense, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,065 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Yeah, my uncle smoked 60 cigarettes a day and lived to be 85......

Not your ornery onager

Hal Decks wrote: »
    FYP

Don't post such nonsense, please?

How is it nonsense. It is only my opinion. The 'FACT' was taking the ****. The fact that poster sees no proof doesn't make it a FACT. except the fact he sees no proof.

Anyway.

The way I see he was able to half climb into the passenger seat which stopped him being crush by the initial impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Yes, that's the chap I want to take road safety advice from.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Where was the impact, and where was your friends daughter?

Also, your friend may kill someone, but "oh, she'll be alive"...:rolleyes:

=-=

Thank f**k the person in the video hit a truck, and not another lads with a family.
    His head would still be where the roof ended up. FACT
    How exactly did you know that he and his passenger in the backseat were not wearing seatbelts?

jhegarty wrote: »
    Yes, that's the chap I want to take road safety advice from.

I'm not giving advice here I was just explaining the reason for this thread or it's original post in the first place. No one ever suggested that you shouldn't wear a seatbelt, only that on some very rare occasions people have survived crashes due to not wearing one. For example you may get flung from your vehicle and hospitalize yourself with a few broken bones instead of burning to death unconscious in your car.

• Advertisement

How is it nonsense. .......

Because you stated it as a probability (you did state FACT), not as a possibility.

As many have pointed out, seat belt would not have hindered the lateral movement that saved the driver.

Advertisement