Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ideal homes rds

Options
  • 27-10-2012 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭

Not bad this year, some stall selling knock off UGGS for 55euro.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

horse7 wrote: »
    Not bad this year, some stall selling knock off UGGS for 55euro.

Went to it back in may/June and it was ok.

Too many jewellery stands selling purejunk.

Dont know what that had to do with a home/diy event.

Heaps of insulation companies trying to sell spray foam insulation.

No one selling or promoting rainwater harvesting systems at all.

I was surprised by that,with the pending "IMF" water meters.

Fcuk all in the way of gardening companies selling garden stuff,apart from B&Q with their truck parked outside.

If I go this weekend,I will be using the free pass.

No way is it worth the entrance fee.

Are there any rainwater harvesting companies there this time????

Thanks.:)

So did anyone go to it Friday,yesterday or today??

Any rainwater harvesting companies there promoting???

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I went today . Really wish I hadn't bothered. I thought it was going to be an actual decorating/ furniture type event. The amount of rubbish stands selling rubbish was ridiculous. I caught a few minutes of the Xpose fashion show , what a laugh! Even worse than the tv programme. I least I got a day out :)

And no, I didn't see any rainwater harvesting companies :)

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    I went today . Really wish I hadn't bothered. I thought it was going to be an actual decorating/ furniture type event. The amount of rubbish stands selling rubbish was ridiculous. I caught a few minutes of the Xpose fashion show , what a laugh! Even worse than the tv programme. I least I got a day out :)

And no, I didn't see any rainwater harvesting companies :)

Well I ended up going with the family.

Apart from my daughter getting some magic markers,it was rather poor,with so many stands selling absolute useless junk.

Not one single gardening company or rainwater harvesting company either.:rolleyes:

No B&Q truck or display outside yesterday either.

The show house and garden display was nice enough,but it was very much in style with an "american" style house layout.

The only thing to do with any sort of gardening was a stand selling various bulbs,but that was it.

A note to the Ideal Home Show event organisers here........

Cop on and start putting real companies into your Ideal Home Shows.

Get more gardening companies involved too.

Too much useless and pointless shyte at these home shows nowadays.:(:mad:

Funniest moment for me was the lad trying to flog the "spin mops" for the "special offer price" of only 30 euro.

Then a lady shouted to him that Dunnes Stores were selling them for 25 euro.

Ive never seen a sales persons face drop so quickly and people walk away from a stand so fast either.:D

• Advertisement

The free goodie bag was ok,about 10 euro worth of interior design and food receipe magazines inside the goodie bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I've been to 3 of these in a row and they have gone from bad to worse, did go this weekend because I was busy and happy I didn't - sounds like it was manure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

paddy147 wrote: »

Not one single gardening company or rainwater harvesting company either.:rolleyes:

No B&Q truck or display outside yesterday either.

A note to the Ideal Home Show event organisers here........

Cop on and start putting real companies into your Ideal Home Shows.

Get more gardening companies involved too.

Just for clarity, Ideal Homes do not exhibit, they sell space at their show, and charge a lot for that space.
    So the lack of '' Real Co's'' as you put it is just a sign of the realities of the recession.
    marketing budgets for this type of weekend are gone in most of the larger Co's, hence probably no B&Q.

The smaller stalls where junk can be sold for cash, will always attract the market trader types, like the Mop Man selling stuff for 30.00 you can get in Dunnes for 25.00, was the Wok Guy there doing chinese food, and selling Wok's.

Did these shows a few times and all you get from a good display, is a load of names/address to follow up, and when you do 99% are timewasters.

Avoid,

martinn123 wrote: »
    Just for clarity, Ideal Homes do not exhibit, they sell space at their show, and charge a lot for that space.
    So the lack of '' Real Co's'' as you put it is just a sign of the realities of the recession.
    marketing budgets for this type of weekend are gone in most of the larger Co's, hence probably no B&Q.

The smaller stalls where junk can be sold for cash, will always attract the market trader types, like the Mop Man selling stuff for 30.00 you can get in Dunnes for 25.00, was the Wok Guy there doing chinese food, and selling Wok's.

Did these shows a few times and all you get from a good display, is a load of names/address to follow up, and when you do 99% are timewasters.

Avoid,

Funny that I was "hounded" by alot of traders to "put my name down" on their address/contacts book,if and when they were in my area....so can you blame people for giving a false name or number,just to shut the trader up and get them off the peoples back.;)

Ive been to the Ideal Home Show for a number of years now,and its allways been the same,a few good propper companies,and 70% are useless rubbish/shyte sellers.:o

The selfbuild and rennovate show in Citywest was much batter,that was about 3 months ago,and it was far better than the Ideal Home Show.

The Ideal Homeshow event organisers really need to step back and take a good look at how they are running the Ideal Home Shows over the last year or so,as like you say,its going downhill fast.

People will AVOID,sad but true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Agree with everything said above . Avoid , avoid, avoid !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Thought I'd add to this for this years show on the 20th April 2013. If its been going downhill each year well then surely this year it's hit rock bottom.
    The only companies displaying were either the rubbish nic nack stalls and a hand full of spray insulation companies.
    If you quiz and of the reps at the stalls about their products and it goes beyond a passing inquiry to even the most basis technical knowhow they are completely lost and no longer wish to engage with you. Most sellers can be directly compareable to snake oil sellers for the Wild West.
    Thankfully I did t pay in, i printed free tickets on line but I still count the day as a loss as I had to pay for diesel to drive there. If I could recommend one thing to people thinking of going its DON'T

hexosan wrote: »
    Thought I'd add to this for this years show on the 20th April 2013. If its been going downhill each year well then surely this year it's hit rock bottom.
    The only companies displaying were either the rubbish nic nack stalls and a hand full of spray insulation companies.
    If you quiz and of the reps at the stalls about their products and it goes beyond a passing inquiry to even the most basis technical knowhow they are completely lost and no longer wish to engage with you. Most sellers can be directly compareable to snake oil sellers for the Wild West.
    Thankfully I did t pay in, i printed free tickets on line but I still count the day as a loss as I had to pay for diesel to drive there. If I could recommend one thing to people thinking of going its DON'T

We went...it was sadly indeed worse than last year.:(

Even the show house was alot smaller and scaled back than last years American style show house.
    Our daughter and her friend got a few coloured markers and some free stuff from the DSPCA stand.

We were not that surprised by it being bad,as we more or less expected it to be,from going last year and the previous year.

There were a few propper good companies and stands displaying there (solar,insulation,door,stove companies and architects),but sadly alot of the stands were akin to what you would see at a Sunday market/weekend market.

Thank god for the free tickets via email,as no way was it worth 14 euro per person addmission.

Advertisement