Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The silent poverty class

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

krd wrote: »
    The average pay of an Irish Times journalist is 30k. That's the average pay. After the "leadership" is taken care of, most IT staff wouldn't break the 30.

Any figures for that? Ive heard of larger salaries in the IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Black Smoke

Does anybody, seriously pay a TV licence:cool:

Does anybody, seriously pay a TV licence:cool:

Yes, if you have a TV, why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I think anyone trying to live on 30K a year or the dole would be sick reading about these people.

Unless they are on 30K with no mortgage, or no kids etc. In which case they are probably doing better per capita.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Unless they are on 30K with no mortgage, or no kids etc. In which case they are probably doing better per capita.

And yet a huge number of Irish people want child benefit cut.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

Would be better that the Government pay instead the people with no kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

SubBusted wrote: »
    Would be better that the Government pay instead the people with no kids.
    that would make for a fun retirement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

Stheno wrote: »
    Imagine being someone with a €1400 mortgage and losing your job?

All of us can do that.
    not, not all of us

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

This article really should be about how unscrupulous MABS are TBH.
    Downsize. Yeah it sucks, grow a pair and get over yourself. Prioritise.

Cal per euro Cornflakes aren't cheap in any way shape or form. Dont waste my time with the tugging at heartstring rubbish. Get a feckin calculator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Yes they would as only 75% of the intrest is allowable against tax. Lokk renting the house is not a solution unless they can move in with his or her parents which is not ideal or even a suggestion. Aside from even an empty period what if a tennant refuses to pay or wrecks the place.

looking at the figures

To clarify : the garda sergeant earned €75,000 gross LAST year, including allowances and considerable overtime. That was clearly an exceptional year.

Now, the family’s total weekly income, including child benefit, is €807 net, according to Mabs. The following is its projected weekly expenditure, according to a schedule prepared by the same agency :

Mortgage (interest only): €280.00
    Mortgage Protection Insurance €15,00
    Buildings/Contents Insurance €7.00
    Food/Housekeeping €200,00
    Electricity Usage €25.00
    Heat/Fuel Usage €25.00
    TV licence €4.00
    Waste Charges €5.00
    Telephone/Other utilities €43.00
    Transports costs €127.50
    Educational costs (college registration fees, children’s uniforms) €75.00
    Clothing/Footwear €60.00
    Medical costs (insurance) €73.23
    Repairs & Maintenance €20.00
    Other Expenditure €84.00
    Credit Union €50.00

Total €1,093.73

Not included are weekly pension-related contributions of around €80.

There seems very little leeway in the figures maybe they could cut back in the shopping and 3K a year on clothing seems excessive. When the credit union loan is paid off maybe they can use that as well. Other expenditure 4.5K/year I like to know what that is for.

It take a lot of mental toughness to get through situtations like this it often means taking the sambo's and flask to work and spending nothing and I mean nothing. Maybe his wife can try to find a parttime or fulltime job.

However without her getting a job can they sustain that sort of a life longer than 2-3 years, I do not think it can be done

Farmer, you are spinning here, there is a lot of fat in this budget.

€43 a week on telephones/other utilities translates into €172 per month!

UPC basic bundle plus 5 pay as you go mobile phones with €20 credit each per month is €169 giving you close to the €172. Why do they need that? My kids have to get part-time jobs and babysit to pay for their mobile phone needs. You can live with mobile phones for adults only giving you a cost of €109 per month saving €63 per month on the MABS figures.

Educational costs equate to €75 per week translating into €3,900 per year. Are you serious? Really, do they go to a private school. If one kid is in uni, that may be the cost, but why doesn't the kid have a part-time job as most kids I know in uni do.

€7 per week on household insurance suggests more than an ordinary 3/4 bed semi and a lot of contents. €60 per month on mortgage protection also suggests more than a simple policy.

As for having to take the sambos and flask to work, who isn't doing this who has a family? Take me on a lunch out if you have money to spare.

You won't spend €3,000 per year on clothes and shoes if you shop in Dunnes and Penneys. But if you dress your kids in Hollister and the latest Premier League top you might.

I spend a lot on electricity and gas heating a poorly built house but not €200 per month. Use of a timer and wearing more clothes should reduce that.

The problem with all of this, and I include both the private sector and the public sector is that we expect too much. Many Americans can't afford HBO, yet every Irish person thinks they are entitled to SKY. Many Germans can't afford to go on holidays but every Irish person expects at least a weekend away in a top Irish hotel as well as two weeks in Spain, most expect more. MABS are part of the problem as are CWOs who hand out money to keep up these expectations.

• Advertisement

Godge wrote: »
    You won't spend €3,000 per year on clothes and shoes if you shop in Dunnes and Penneys. But if you dress your kids in Hollister and the latest Premier League top you might.

Yes you would, easily. I shop in Pennys/Dunnes for 80% of my day to day clothing.

€60 / 4 = €15 per week.

A decent Tee shirt in pennys is €6-€9
    I just bought 2 pairs of chinos in Pennys, €12 & €15 per item.

You could very easily spend 3k per year on clothes for a family of 4, very easily, and that would just cover the basics and replacing the basics when required imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

kceire wrote: »
    €60 / 4 = €15 per week.

You could very easily spend 3k per year on clothes for a family of 4, very easily...
    How many pairs of chinos do you get through in a year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

kceire wrote: »
    Yes you would, easily. I shop in Pennys/Dunnes for 80% of my day to day clothing.

€60 / 4 = €15 per week.

You could very easily spend 3k per year on clothes for a family of 4, very easily, and that would just cover the basics and replacing the basics when required imo.

It was €60 per week. So every five weeks you could spend that on yourself in a five-person family. So 3 T-shirts and 2 chinos every five weeks costs €54 leaving six euro for underwear, socks and PJs. 30 T-shirts and 20 chinos in a year, don't think I have bought that many in five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Was determined not to get involved but then I saw that MABS breakdown ...

€200 p/w for food and household? WTF?

What are they eating exactly and have they heard of Lidl?

As for the rest of the list, if this is what people are expected to accept as a minimum then what happened this country that it got so detracted from reality?

Do people really think that simply being born in Ireland entitles them to so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭paul71

Was determined not to get involved but then I saw that MABS breakdown ...

€200 p/w for food and household? WTF?

What are they eating exactly and have they heard of Lidl?

As for the rest of the list, if this is what people are expected to accept as a minimum then what happened this country that it got so detracted from reality?

Do people really think that simply being born in Ireland entitles them to so much?

Lild would be a luxury in my view if their kids are hungry as they claim, dig up the suburban garden and grow spuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Cal per euro Cornflakes aren't cheap in any way shape or form. Dont waste my time with the tugging at heartstring rubbish. Get a feckin calculator.
    I find the cornflakes BS to be the strangest thing, we had that Kerry man saying his kids were eating a cornflakes box last year and now this.

A big box of cornflakes costs over 5 euro, maybe 6 or 7( i would be eating wheetabix if i was stuck lol ), that would get you a lot of spuds for chips/mashed etc. Its not only that you can easily cook meals for around 2 euro a meal( bolgonase, curry, chilli con carne etc. ), if 4 or 5 people were eating cornflakes all day the box would be finished in less than a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

Agree with you SouperComputer about the price of cornflakes.When they start having "packet soup day" I might feel sorry for them.Personally I think the story is bogus.I know a few Gardai and they are very adept at finding nixers,doing overtime etc if they need a few extra quid.If it is a real story,the guy is hiding money from the wife and probably has a bird ,takes coke,drinks like a fish or gambles

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Godge wrote: »
    Farmer, you are spinning here, there is a lot of fat in this budget.

Mortgage (interest only): €280.00
    Mortgage Protection Insurance €15,00
    Buildings/Contents Insurance €7.00
    Food/Housekeeping €200,00
    Electricity Usage €25.00
    Heat/Fuel Usage €25.00
    TV licence €4.00
    Waste Charges €5.00
    Telephone/Other utilities €43.00
    Transports costs €127.50
    Educational costs (college registration fees, children’s uniforms) €75.00
    Clothing/Footwear €60.00
    Medical costs (insurance) €73.23
    Repairs & Maintenance €20.00
    Other Expenditure €84.00
    Credit Union €50.00

I got caught up the last time on people suggesting that the couple rent the house and rent another place them selves to save 2-300 euro/month. so lest look at the costs
    Mortgage remain same and any saving's will end up there
    He should not need mortgage protection as he is aguard and will not be made unemployes savings 15/week
    House insurace stays the same
    food/household 200/week hard to estimate TBh most middle class families are better to shop in LIDL/ALDI than othere however I have packed bags at super markets and have seen a lot of weekly shops at 150/week. Believe it or not it is the buiscuits and choclate that cost the money not the fancy stuff maybe there is 50 to be saves living hand to mouth

electricity 150-180/bill so 9-1100/year unless storage heating in house
    Heating 25/week 1300/year less than the averagr see above a bag of coal is 14 euro's I wonder if it is storage heating and coal and bricketts for sitting room fire.
    TV and waste not over the top
    telephone 43/week average landline bill 100 a pop mobile's 5 in the house(adults and two kids) 20 every second month and replace 2 every 2-3 years (150/year) 1,300/year savings 17-18/week about the cost of sky

Transport 127/week car cost are huge a pre 2008 family car costs nearly 500/year car tax, remember they will get nothing for free so kids schoolbus cost and child in 3rd level will all have to be paid for ( when money is tight it costs more you cannot buy yearly tickets etc). Putting 40 euro in petrol into a car will give you 24 litres 3.5 gallons 140/miles a week. Insurance 4-450/year, Service and repair if you have not got a pair of hands 300/year NCT 20/year .All adds up maybe they can save 10 or 20 but it would be tight.

Education 3900/year-- college registration 2250 most secondarynational schools have a fee 1-200/family school books, school uniforms not much to save here
    Clothing/footware 60/week 3K/year could be cut back on
    Medical Insurance if under pressure have to be reduced especiall afrills policy like this

Repairs/ maintenance/other expendituse/Credit Union 150/week alot of questions here so on the whole they should be able to survive however for how long is this sustainable

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

He should not need mortgage protection as he is aguard and will not be made unemployes savings 15/week

AFAIK Mortgage protection is demanded by the bank. Its more about if someone died than about losing a job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

This doesn't make any sense. I earn less than half of that, and do not get any allowances for dependants (doesnt matter how many times I show them my dogs food bill ;)) and I manage to pay rent, half my parent's mortgage, college fees and can still afford to eat, travel, and have a (albeit somewhat restricted) social life. Not trying to be self-righteous but... what are these people doing with their money?? :confused:

• Advertisement

Mortgage remain same and any saving's will end up there
    What do you mean any savings will end up paying the mortgage? The mortgage doesn’t seem all that unreasonable – it’s the other expenses that seem to be causing the problems.
    food/household 200/week hard to estimate TBh most middle class families are better to shop in LIDL/ALDI than othere however I have packed bags at super markets and have seen a lot of weekly shops at 150/week.
    That represents a reduction of 25%, which is pretty significant.
    Believe it or not it is the buiscuits and choclate that cost the money not the fancy stuff maybe there is 50 to be saves living hand to mouth
    I’m sorry - €150 worth of food per week is considered “hand to mouth”? Has the price of spuds increased by about 1,000% since I left Ireland a couple of years ago?
    electricity 150-180/bill so 9-1100/year unless storage heating in house
    Heating 25/week 1300/year less than the averagr see above a bag of coal is 14 euro's I wonder if it is storage heating and coal and bricketts for sitting room fire.
    Those bills are pretty big – there is absolutely no way there is not room for reduction there. Sure, you might spend €200 on a particularly cold winter month, but not year-round.
    TV and waste not over the top
    It absolutely is over the top. The most expensive package that UPC offer is only €79 per month – what in the name of jaysus have these folks got?!?
    telephone 43/week average landline bill 100 a pop mobile's 5 in the house(adults and two kids) 20 every second month and replace 2 every 2-3 years (150/year) 1,300/year savings 17-18/week about the cost of sky
    A phone bill of €100 per month is ridiculous – are these phone calls really so important that they’re worth getting into debt over? If the kids want to use their mobiles, they can go and get part-time jobs and buy credit themselves.
    Transport 127/week car cost are huge...
    They’re not that huge – if they are, it’s time to think about downsizing your motor.
    ...a pre 2008 family car costs nearly 500/year car tax, remember they will get nothing for free so kids schoolbus cost and child in 3rd level will all have to be paid for ( when money is tight it costs more you cannot buy yearly tickets etc).
    Can the kids not walk/cycle? As for yearly tickets, employers very often provide interest-free loans to their employees for these.
    Education 3900/year-- college registration 2250 most secondarynational schools have a fee 1-200/family school books, school uniforms not much to save here
    Eh, yeah, there is. First of all, the hypothetical third-level student can start making a contribution towards that fee. Secondly, school books and uniforms can be picked up second-hand. Books in particular. There is absolutely no way €3,900 is a typical family annual expenditure on education in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

If you plan your week and shop around a family of four can live off 70 euro a week grocery bill no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

lmimmfn wrote: »
    I find the cornflakes BS to be the strangest thing, we had that Kerry man saying his kids were eating a cornflakes box last year and now this.

A big box of cornflakes costs over 5 euro, maybe 6 or 7( i would be eating wheetabix if i was stuck lol ), that would get you a lot of spuds for chips/mashed etc. Its not only that you can easily cook meals for around 2 euro a meal( bolgonase, curry, chilli con carne etc. ), if 4 or 5 people were eating cornflakes all day the box would be finished in less than a day.

Dear God - I'd be eating the box too at that price! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

djpbarry wrote: »
    What do you mean any savings will end up paying the mortgage? The mortgage doesn’t seem all that unreasonable – it’s the other expenses that seem to be causing the problems.
    That represents a reduction of 25%, which is pretty significant.
    I’m sorry - €150 worth of food per week is considered “hand to mouth”? Has the price of spuds increased by about 1,000% since I left Ireland a couple of years ago?
    Those bills are pretty big – there is absolutely no way there is not room for reduction there. Sure, you might spend €200 on a particularly cold winter month, but not year-round.
    It absolutely is over the top. The most expensive package that UPC offer is only €79 per month – what in the name of jaysus have these folks got?!?
    A phone bill of €100 per month is ridiculous – are these phone calls really so important that they’re worth getting into debt over? If the kids want to use their mobiles, they can go and get part-time jobs and buy credit themselves.
    They’re not that huge – if they are, it’s time to think about downsizing your motor.
    Can the kids not walk/cycle? As for yearly tickets, employers very often provide interest-free loans to their employees for these.
    Eh, yeah, there is. First of all, the hypothetical third-level student can start making a contribution towards that fee. Secondly, school books and uniforms can be picked up second-hand. Books in particular. There is absolutely no way €3,900 is a typical family annual expenditure on education in Ireland.

If you had read the orginal post it specificall mentioned College Registration fee which is 3rd level at present it is 2250 euro's. Just another example you can but most School uniforms off the shelf reasonabbly( cannot be got second hand as quality it them will not last much over a year) such as Grey trousers/ blue shirts/navy skirts etc however some schools have a crested Blazer/jacket or school tracksuits which can only be purchassed from a single supplier often they cost up and over 100eoro. Trying to get School books second hand is getting harder when some books are on there11th edition. Most Schools as i stated earlier charge a 1-200 euro schoo fee and on top you may have a cost for materials. not to mind 1-2 euro charity days. Maybe the hypothetical has a partime job and it pays the rest of his costs. Like I stated if they were arounf 40K they would get about 3-6K towards his fees/school costs and if uinemployed they's get 8.5K or thereabouts

It says on the Mabs that the mortgage is intrest only so any savings will have to go towards increasing intrest payments

On the TV/Waste it specified 4 euro/week TV licience ane 5 Euro/week for waste now this translates as 250 for rubbish ( maybe you burn it in your back yard or fly tip it into my farm) and 200 for tV licience.

Yes spuds have got very expensive this year they are at present over 1 euro/kg retail.

The reality is that a phone is a necissity wheather it is a mobile/landline. Now maybe they can bungle the Phone/TV/broadband and get a little cheaper. And I did not state/month I stated/bill bi-monthly the same with Electricity some thing in OIreland have not changed,

I would not let a dog walk in Dublin and cycling is not really an option for childern if they are going on any of the busy routes. School bus tickets are bought through the school yes you can buy your own from your employer. The last thing you try to do in Ireland is downsize you car for that you have to trade in maybe the next time they are changing it they will but for now they are stuck with it also I think they have four childern I thaught it was posted somewhere but I may be wrong so a people carrier is required

There heating/fuel is 1300/yera this equates to about 108.33333333333333333333 approx/month I would consider it a little below average this is why I consideredthat they might have storage heating on the ESB we have the amoung Highest electricity charges in Europe if not in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Riskymove wrote: »

AFAIK Mortgage protection is demanded by the bank. Its more about if someone died than about losing a job

That would be life assurance. Mortgage protection would be in the event of illness or unemployment.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,378 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

^ Or the journalist doesn't have a clue or uses terminology with different meanings interchangeably...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Riskymove wrote: »

That would be life assurance. Mortgage protection would be in the event of illness or unemployment.

In my experience the product required by the bank for you to get and what everyone would have is Mortgage Protection Life Cover

serious illness and income protection cover would generally be expensive add-ons that imo, most people do not take out (especially in boom period)

If you had read the orginal post it specificall mentioned College Registration fee which is 3rd level at present it is 2250 euro's.
    I did read the original post and I asked why the student in question cannot make a contribution towards this fee?
    Just another example you can but most School uniforms off the shelf reasonabbly( cannot be got second hand as quality it them will not last much over a year) such as Grey trousers/ blue shirts/navy skirts etc however some schools have a crested Blazer/jacket or school tracksuits which can only be purchassed from a single supplier often they cost up and over 100eoro.
    Ok, so one new uniform every 2-3 years – we’re still not getting anywhere near the kind of figures quoted in the article.
    Trying to get School books second hand is getting harder when some books are on there11th edition...
    You’re really clutching at straws now. School books change every few years at most – I remember using English books that my parents used and it’s not that long since I was in school!
    Most Schools as i stated earlier charge a 1-200 euro schoo fee and on top you may have a cost for materials. not to mind 1-2 euro charity days.
    I don’t believe most schools charge anything of the sort, but anyway, we have the uniform, school books and stationary and the odd “charity day” or school trip or whatever. Even allowing for the full uni registration fee, there is absolutely no way the educational costs for each of the other two kids is amounting to over €800 every year.
    Yes spuds have got very expensive this year they are at present over 1 euro/kg retail.
    I was being sarcastic. There is absolutely no reason why a family cannot be well fed on €150 per week – that will buy a hell of a lot of meat, fish, fruit and veg.
    The reality is that a phone is a necissity wheather it is a mobile/landline.
    I’m not disagreeing with that.
    Now maybe they can bungle the Phone/TV/broadband and get a little cheaper.
    A little cheaper? They’re spending €43 per week on “telephone and other utilities” – there is room for a reduction of at least 50% there.
    I would not let a dog walk in Dublin...
    As I said above, you’re clutching at straws now.
    The last thing you try to do in Ireland is downsize you car for that you have to trade in...
    So?
    There heating/fuel is 1300/yera this equates to about 108.33333333333333333333 approx/month...
    And then electricity is costing them the same again – that’s a lot. As I said above, fair enough if they’re paying that the odd month through the winter, but there’s no way they should be paying that year round.
    I would consider it a little below average this is why I consideredthat they might have storage heating on the ESB we have the amoung Highest electricity charges in Europe if not in the world
    That’s a myth. Electricity in Ireland is not especially expensive relative to the rest of Europe:
    http://www.energy.eu

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

If you had read the orginal post it specificall mentioned College Registration fee which is 3rd level at present it is 2250 euro's. Just another example you can but most School uniforms off the shelf reasonabbly( cannot be got second hand as quality it them will not last much over a year) such as Grey trousers/ blue shirts/navy skirts etc however some schools have a crested Blazer/jacket or school tracksuits which can only be purchassed from a single supplier often they cost up and over 100eoro. Trying to get School books second hand is getting harder when some books are on there11th edition. Most Schools as i stated earlier charge a 1-200 euro schoo fee and on top you may have a cost for materials. not to mind 1-2 euro charity days. Maybe the hypothetical has a partime job and it pays the rest of his costs. Like I stated if they were arounf 40K they would get about 3-6K towards his fees/school costs and if uinemployed they's get 8.5K or thereabouts

It says on the Mabs that the mortgage is intrest only so any savings will have to go towards increasing intrest payments

On the TV/Waste it specified 4 euro/week TV licience ane 5 Euro/week for waste now this translates as 250 for rubbish ( maybe you burn it in your back yard or fly tip it into my farm) and 200 for tV licience.

The reality is that a phone is a necissity wheather it is a mobile/landline. Now maybe they can bungle the Phone/TV/broadband and get a little cheaper. And I did not state/month I stated/bill bi-monthly the same with Electricity some thing in OIreland have not changed,

I would not let a dog walk in Dublin and cycling is not really an option for childern if they are going on any of the busy routes. School bus tickets are bought through the school yes you can buy your own from your employer. The last thing you try to do in Ireland is downsize you car for that you have to trade in maybe the next time they are changing it they will but for now they are stuck with it also I think they have four childern I thaught it was posted somewhere but I may be wrong so a people carrier is required

There heating/fuel is 1300/yera this equates to about 108.33333333333333333333 approx/month I would consider it a little below average this is why I consideredthat they might have storage heating on the ESB we have the amoung Highest electricity charges in Europe if not in the world

108 a month is WELL above the average household in ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭blackbox

They pay 528 a week to the credit union to pay all the bills which includes the mortgage and this works out at 27456 a year.

Delegating the paying of bills seems like a bad idea to me. If you do this how can you keep in touch with exactly what you are spending - no chance of taking corrective action if your electricity usage goes up, etc.

This seems like a general lack of interest in actually managing their own finances and seems like a symptom of not taking personal responsibility to deal with their situation.

Advertisement