Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV for sale "Can you hold it until Child Benefit day"

Options
  • 17-10-2012 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭

Went out two weeks ago and splashed out on a smart tv I love it is great and unlike my old plasma it has the saorview built in.

Anyway I put my old TV up on a website (wont mention the name of the site) to get rid of it because I have no space for it. Few calls about it asking could I deliver it to Cork etc couldn't though.

Got a call today from a traveler girl in Cashel which is a town very close to me. Could hear a load of kids screaming/beating/cursing at each other in the background. She seemed very interested in it but turned around and said can you hold it until child benefit day (didn't give me a chance to say a guy just called 10 minutes before and already arranged to meet me at 5pm in Thurles). Told her someone was coming to meet me about it (which he did, nice gentleman fast transaction). She went mental starting cursing screaming abuse and hung up.

Its not so much the abuse i am angry about but the way she was planning to spend the child benefit to purchase a TV.

Another story. Few weeks ago I was in Clonmel post office had important documents I had to register and send off for my boss it was like the airports in the 80s long queau of people. This girl pushing a pram and her boyfriend were behind me they went up to the counter withdrew at least 500 from the dole card he withdrew his unemployment payment at the counter the other side of me. Anyway about two hours later was putting some shopping away in my car at M&S and seen them pushing a trolley full of drink and luxury items past me and opening the booth of an 05 Audi A4 (how the hell did they afford that on benefits, i can only afford a Mondeo and i work 5 days a week and earn just under 800pw) anyway you would think bumping into them twice was enough, later that day i was in McD's eating my big macs lol and they came up and sat down. 4 kids and one baby in her arms who she was screaming at to shut up. They bought the most expensive meals for themselves and the children from what I could see just had one happy meal box between them. Selfish *******. The little girl who was only about 3 years old was running around as children do and he grabbed her in a way that he nearly broke her arm, scumbag.

Just want to ask

WHY ARE WE SUBSIDISING THIS.

As a taxpayer I have no problem with child benefit been paid to disadvantage families to help them take care of their children provided it is SPENT ON THE CHILDREN.

Mrs Burton should take this into consideration in the budget. She is going around saying the working class should not be receiving it yet the career claimants are spending it on car insurance, drink, televisions the lot and the children are not getting anything out of it. Maybe the state should require receipts from Penney's, Tesco etc to prove its been spent on the child.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

To add I'M NOT TRYING TO START A DEBATE ABOUT GETTING RID OF IT. just its been abused by some parents as like it is some monthly bonus for them. I just think the state should make sure it is been spent on the children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

shur isnt it paid in arrears? theyve spent thier money on the kids every day, now theyre getting paid back

you are on a state benefits forum and you boast about "splashing out" on a new Smart TV, that you shop in M&S and the fact that you have a job with a good salary - good for you.

Most people who are on this foroum are seeking advice about having to seek the states help about making ends meet, and yes, some people abuse the child benefit, we all know that, but most people need it as a necessary source of income to try to keep a roof over their childrens heads, dont tar everyone with the same brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Wow €800 a week, never earned anywere near that amount in a week in my life. your very lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

you are on a state benefits forum and you boast about "splashing out" on a new Smart TV, that you shop in M&S and the fact that you have a job with a good salary - good for you.

Most people who are on this foroum are seeking advice about having to seek the states help about making ends meet, and yes, some people abuse the child benefit, we all know that, but most people need it as a necessary source of income to try to keep a roof over their childrens heads, dont tar everyone with the same brush.

Not trying to boast and I understand there are people on this forum who are struggling to get by and they genuinely need it. Its acceptable to use some of that money to pay rent/mortgage whatever to get by if it means keeping a roof over your head. I am talking about the people who don't spend a penny of it on the children. That isn't right. One story I heard on radio 1, was a woman who bought a wedding dress out of the money. 100% should go to the children.

I also support increases for the most needy. People who have lost there jobs etc. I am just giving out about the people who abuse it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Buying a 2nd hand telly is hardly living it large now is it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Not a State Benefits issue. Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement