Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Pit #40 - fewtinsoffroth

Options
  • 05-10-2012 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭

Here is the latest In The Pit. The next victim volunteer on the list is fewtinsoffroth.

A quick recap of the rules:
    1. Questions should be Rock & Metal related although some leeway is allowed.
    2. Let's not have questions that are too personal. The poster doesn't have to answer anything they don't want to and as moderator I suppose I'll have the final say if something is appropriate or not.
    3. Don't discuss any of the answers on the thread and only the poster should be answering the questions.

Hopefully that's clear enough so let the questions commence...

If you would like to take part in this and you're not already on the list, please post here and I'll add you to the queue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

What's been the best gig you've ever been too?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

What has been your favourite album out in 2011-2012?
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal (dead or alive), who would they be?
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig (limited to 5 bands)?
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

lord lucan wrote: »
    What's been the best gig you've ever been too?

Rage against the machine download 2010 I'd say. Just.
    Denny M wrote: »
    What has been your favourite album out in 2011-2012?

Last year it was Enter Shikari - Flash flood of colour.

This year I'd say it's Utiliterean by Napalm Death or Monolith by Sylosis (which only came out today :p) but the new Converge is streaming online and when I get hold of a copy of that it'll probably be that I'd say.

What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)

I don't really truly hate anybody. Certainly not for their music anyway, but I hate a lot of attitudes in metal. I'm gonna go for the guy in Emmure as my example, so this (kinda) person is the guy I hate in metal. Frank Palmeris http://www.metalsucks.net/2012/08/07/frankie-palmeri-is-a-classy-guy/

What other sections of boards do you frequent?

Mainly The Graduates (a forum for those who survived leaving cert 2012 :p), Tattoos and Piercings, Health Sciences Education, Japan, Nihongo and Pokemon. Then I also browse Punk, Anime, Gigs and events and Nintendo a bit.

Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?

Metal. I guess that sort of "metal crossover with hardcore" is where all of my favourite bands are. Any sort of metal with a kinda punk attitude or real purpose behind it tends to interest me. I also enjoy it when it's techy.

If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal (dead or alive), who would they be?

I reckon Nicko Mcbrain would be a laugh :p Barney for from Napalm death, the guy that plays sax for the shining, Seth Putnam. And err it's gotta be Lemmy right?

What would be the lineup of your dream gig (limited to 5 bands)?

I'd have to go for something ridiculously massive.

AC/DC
    Led Zeppelin
    Iron Maiden
    Pantera

and finish with the Prodigy. Something fun.

Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?

Bweaaahhh there's a lot I don't like about all the bands. I'd say Megadeth.

What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

I'm a massive Cancer bats fan and was super let down by the new album. Although I think Old blood is one of the best songs they've written so I think I'm just slamming it without giving it time to grow on me yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

How did it all start? Like, what made you becoming a Metal fan or which was the first album, you got?

Lars1916 wrote: »
    How did it all start? Like, what made you becoming a Metal fan or which was the first album, you got?

I was about 10 and one day on a drive to Galway my dad was telling me about all these gigs they used to go to. So I bought some compilation in Galway that day. I don't have it anymore but I remember it had 2 Saxon songs on it, War pigs by Sabbath, a rainbow song, Iron fist and ace of spades by Motorhead. And Whitesnake or something. Needless to say I was hooked.

My first proper album was High Voltage by AC/DC and the first gig I went to was Iron Maiden in the point 2006 for my 12th birthday :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

If you could be a rock star (e.g. mind control them for the craic) for a day, who would you be?

Also, whats your favourite tin of froth?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Do you play any instruments? And if not, what instrument would you like to be able to play?

If you could be a rock star (e.g. mind control them for the craic) for a day, who would you be?

I'd probably take somebody really famous and make them go insane. I reckon what Dave Mustaine needs to do is have a two hour rant on stage protesting against everything to increase his popularity yet further.
    Also, whats your favourite tin of froth?

Big into tins of Carling I was. Carling anytime.
    Cill94 wrote: »
    Do you play any instruments? And if not, what instrument would you like to be able to play?

I play guitar, piano and bass. I'd like to be better at piano :p but in terms of another instrument, I've wanted to pick up the saxophone for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

What's your favourite type of Cheese?

scudzilla wrote: »
    What's your favourite type of Cheese?

I'm pretty fond of Motley Crue, Tesla and especially poison. But when it comes to cheese there's just no topping Warrant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Where did your username come from?

Malice usually posts these questions, but he's AWOL

xerces wrote: »
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?

I was into Rock and Metal before I joined boards. I think I joined to use the LC forum at first. But I remember that was the first year I went to download, so I found myself here pretty quick.
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?

I'm big into the Irish scene. Looking through my Ipod a lot of what I listen to regularly is Irish bands. Everything from punk through to death metal. I also check the gigs threads a lot and I enjoy reading these threads too.

What do you do when you're not rocking out?

I actually just dropped out of college so I have loads of spare time. When not studying for the hpat exam in March I play piano, watch anime, study Japanese (I'm studying for the level 3 proficiency test this December), walk my dog and read. Nothing too exciting.
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?

Probably either Hail destroyer by Cancer bats or Common dreads by Enter Shikari. I definitely wouldn't be the same person if I hadn't listened to those two albums so much whilst growing up.
    Where did your username come from?

Terrible username that I wanna change soon. Drinking banter that was funny when we were 15/16. Dear oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

What other music genres do you listen to outside of rock/metal?
    Underrated albums by well known bands?

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    What other music genres do you listen to outside of rock/metal?

I'm a huge fan of all types of punk and hardcore music. Then I listen to a lot of indie rock bands, there's a really good scene in Ireland. I listen to a lot of soundscape and melodic bands God is an astronaut, kaspa rosa through to Isis and Cult of Luna.

In terms of pop or mainstream music, besides the big indie bands like bloc party, the xx etc. I enjoy bands that have the dance edge to them, but still write songs. Fenech soler, Kele, Jamiraquai and stuff.
    Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Underrated albums by well known bands?

Nothing is springing to mind. Unusually I think my favourite Iron Maiden album as a whole is probably 06's A matter of life and death. Dont' know if it's really underrated, but I haven't found anybody who agrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

I was thinking about the 'American Ceiling', where a band breaks big in America, reaches a certain level then every band that follows in the same style tries to reach that level, but none seem willing to go for an original idea. This homogenizes music in every genre. Do you think this makes original bands easier to find or damages their chances to find an audience?

viadah wrote: »
    I was thinking about the 'American Ceiling', where a band breaks big in America, reaches a certain level then every band that follows in the same style tries to reach that level, but none seem willing to go for an original idea. This homogenizes music in every genre. Do you think this makes original bands easier to find or damages their chances to find an audience?

It works both ways I guess. I've probably been put off of loads of good bands who are in a particular scene because I've looked up the example of that genre with the most views on youtube and not liked it, and just completely disregarded the rest of the scene although I would probably like some of the bands.

But it can also be a push for bands to be more original and write better music too I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Any album/band you like you usually wouldn't admit?(eg a guilty pleasure)

Unfortunately you've died today what track is playing at your funeral?

Where do you buy your music,online or in a bricks n' mortar store?

Any album/band you like you usually wouldn't admit?(eg a guilty pleasure)

Nothing too embarrassing I don't think. I have a load of J pop on my ipod bands like Capsule etc. That I listen to a bit.

But only cause I'm studying Japanese :o

<_<

>_>
    Unfortunately you've died today what track is playing at your funeral?

Gotta be Start me up by the rolling stones :p
    Where do you buy your music,online or in a bricks n' mortar store?

When there's an album I'm looking forward to I usually try and buy some sort of a special edition of it with the book or even a DVD etc. In the shop or online, but either way a physical copy.

But for albums that are out a long time I usually just download them.

Any more questions for Fewtinsoffroth before we move along to the next in line?

• Advertisement

Any more questions for Fewtinsoffroth before we move along to the next in line?

Yes please :p

Ahh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

Here's a question - would you feel guilty for holding up the eternally slow 'In the Pit' series by answering one last frivolous question?!

viadah wrote: »
    Here's a question - would you feel guilty for holding up the eternally slow 'In the Pit' series by answering one last frivolous question?!

Of course not!

I've been waiting three years for this thread! :P

Thanks to everyone that posted questions and to Fewtinsoffroth for answering them. The next installment of In The Pit is here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement