Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IARC UL online Course

Options
  • 03-10-2012 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi all, I have recently started an online course with IARC. The Lectures are every Thursday night in UL. The lectures are recorded and are supposed to be uploaded for those of us who are studying online. This is the third week and it has been late each week, I still haven't received last Thursday nights lecture. I dont want to fall behind so I asked them to rectify the delay and have the lectures uploaded earlier as I find it frustrating that those of us studying online pay more than those on campus and yet have to put up with these delays....... so instead of trying to rectify the problem they say "heres your money back"!!!!! Have I lost the plot or is this bad form?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It sounds like bad form to me. I haven't studied online but I think getting the lecture up within 24 hours should be expected and reasonable. Did they actually offer you your money back?! I'm sure you said you wanted to study the course rather than not do it. I'd make a complaint directly to someone higher up, in writing, if so. Also, do you know any fellow students? You can't be the only person finding this situation unacceptable.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Elizabetha

Hi pinklypinky, Dont want my money back at all. Theyve since got back to me and said that last weeks lecture will not be put online as it was held in the library, showing the students how to do research there I think it will be the same for tomorrows lecture too. It's disappointing but I think I will just get on and take the most from it as I can. It means working harder by myself to pass I suppose but I've paid and I'm one of those people who like to finish what they start. It's not what I expected though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Maybe I'm wrong, but I would have thought online courses should be cheaper, not more expensive.

This one costs more than doing it on campus jellybaby1. One of the lecturers have since called me and seems determined to sort it. I really hope that these are just teething pains as I really want to complete it so im keeping my fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

That's online learning! :confused:

There was obviously some very poor thought put into planning this concept by UL and they were impudent to fob you off after the second lecture by offering you a refund when you complained.

I hope they sort it out for you otherwise I would be annoyed for flagging this online course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

A private company could not survive treating its customers like that. IMO it’s another example of the ‘reality disconnect’ between state & private enterprise. No wonder University of Limerick still does not feature in the ‘’Top 400’ Times Higher Ed rankings.
    The offer to refund fees is a cop-out (and it is your legal entitlement under the Sale of Goods & Supply of Services legislation if you want to quit).
    Hopefully the course will (eventually) meet your expectations.

Thanks everyone. The lecturer in fairness is now bending over backwards to sort it all out so Im delighted with that as I was really excited about doing it. Hopefully its plain sailing from here......

Its good that they are being more helpful now. (The Lecturer might have seen this thread!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Its good that they are being more helpful now. (The Lecturer might have seen this thread!)

In fairness it probably is not the lecturer, who is probably furious and can do little as 'webwork' for the UL site would be far outside his/her control.

LOl! Im just delighted that it is all working out for the best now Jellybaby1. Looks like it was just teething problems......

• Advertisement

That's good news! Enjoy the course.

Advertisement