Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Photographer Profile] #1 DaireQuinlan

Options
  • 17-09-2012 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭

Boards Photographer Profile

The idea of these threads is to give some insight as to how some of your fellow photographers operate. Each person invited will write about their photography and provide some examples. This thread will be sticky for about a fortnight (longer if needed) During this time feel free to comment and ask questions. Please allow the subject to answer questions and do not do so on their behalf.

While this process is taking place, the subject will approach the next person to be highlighted. Please keep this secret and do not prompt.

All normal site and forum rules apply.

Hi. My name is Daire Quinlan. I take photographs.
    I'd claim that I could stop anytime I wanted, but I'd be lying. If I'm out and about without a camera I start feeling nervous and twitchy, don't quite know what to do with my hands. I keep a compact or two in my bag for situations like that. Does anyone else do that ?

Regardless, somehow none of this compulsive shooting has actually enabled me to become the next Frank Herzog or Stephen Shore. Imagine. Maybe I don't take the whole process seriously enough. I simultaneously disregard the advice of others, or at least the advice I don't agree with, and worry constantly that I actually can't take photographs to save my life. I favour a style that's been variously (and, lets face it, probably truthfully) described as 'banal fail' and 'yellowing laundromat' but I keep on doing it anyway.

So yeah, compulsive shooting, that's one side of the coin. I like street furniture, distinct little groupings of elements, incongruities in an otherwise seamless pattern, some colour contrast that pops out of the scene a little. I'd like to be a little more abstract but I don't think I have it in me. I'd like to shoot B&W but I really don't have the head for it, so I confine my B&W mainly to portraits.

Flipside is the ongoing documentary entitled "The first one then two how did that happen cutest kids in the world" from the first polaroids on up. One caveat to this is the amount of off the cuff candid shots I used to do which have gradually been replaced more and more by posed shots. Mostly for practical reasons, and the fact that both of them have become annoyingly camera-aware. It's a trend I want to reverse though.

Film. I just like it. I like that there's an imprint of that moment on an actual physical medium. An imprint that's a direct analog to the actual photons that bounced off of or were emitted by the subject and hit the film at that same moment. I like how it looks. I like being able to screw with development and see what happens. I like the limitations of having a particular film loaded and knowing that there's simply no point in taking a particular shot so I can just savour the moment instead. I like that instead of a incomprehensible technological tool that's merely to be used, film opens itself out as a beautifully simple process that can be explored and expanded on. Plus, on top of everything else, I like the smell.

I guess these shots are representative to some extent of how I photograph when I'm out and about. Little vignettes , small splashes of colour, geometrical arrangements...

7916775164_b9481f7de8.jpg

7652723094_7feb04b522.jpg

6727726895_5f102d0d73.jpg

6786843986_635039725a.jpg

Other Inclusions

These are results of experimentations, constructions, extrapolations. The first two probably the best results of an 8x10 camera I built to shoot paper negatives in
    4386036602_412f68e515.jpg

4386033060_ffabba2ef5.jpg

This last isn't really a particular good shot, but is probably the most left field I got. It's RA4 colour paper exposed as a paper negative in the above 8x10 and then reversal processed so it comes out of the soup as a positive print. Bit of a wayward and awkward process. Having a second kid put paid to these experimentations... at least for a while ...
    5218499676_2ca6c51f60.jpg

And of course (with that neat segue) documenting my kids lives so far, from this ...

2260587398_ee39009267.jpg.....4765360535_16125f2ea4.jpg

To their first day at school / creche respectively

7932550140_40b3c34472.jpg.....7932557226_e8dd672c62.jpg

via this

5018198239_297228cf0c.jpg and this 6997070038_cbf006218a.jpg

And, of course, this :D

7907449140_376c37b693.jpg

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

how long have you been shooting?

what is your favourite camera, lens, film, or other related piece of equipment?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

DQ walked past me one day at the luas stop on stephen's green. i was going to say hello, but he looked like he was in a hurry. plus, it would have necessitated me saying 'hi, i'm magicbastarder' to someone who potentially was not DQ at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

actually, DQ, it's been a while since you've posted stuff from your 'paper box' - is it still working?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

how long have you been shooting?
    what is your favourite camera, lens, film, or other related piece of equipment?

I've been taking pictures for many a year. I didn't really start taking it seriously until about 10 years ago or so I guess, when I took a trip.
    Sounds flippant a little, but my favourite bit of gear is whatever I have on me at any given time. I suffer from gear fetishism as much as anyone else, but I view it as kind of divorced almost completely from the process of actually taking photographs. They're two almost completely disparate activities for me. There are cameras that I'm inclined to use more often than others, but more for practical reasons than anything else. A compact 35mm P&S, or my FE-2 which is the smallest lightest SLR I have.
    actually, DQ, it's been a while since you've posted stuff from your 'paper box' - is it still working?

Still works, posted one up recently enough http://www.flickr.com/photos/dairequinlan/7826730410/in/photostream trying to get back into using it more often. Getting results out of it is an order of magnitude more time consuming than (say) firing off a roll of 35mm. It's no surprise that most of that experimentation was done before child #2 arrived :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

I know why you like film, you've explained it eloquently above. But what about digital? Is it a philosophical objection, or that sensor technology hasn't caught up with the 'quality' of filmstock yet? Or the fact that you'd need a top end SLR to get the value of your legacy glass, and that investment isn't justifiable for you?

In other words, if someone handed you a D700 gratis, would you embrace it gratefully, or smile politely at the crazy person and leave it sitting on a shelf?

• Advertisement

dakar wrote: »
    In other words, if someone handed you a D700 gratis, would you embrace it gratefully, or smile politely at the crazy person and leave it sitting on a shelf?

Hah. I'd probably sell it and buy an 8x10 :D
    Seriously though, from a technical perspective digital sensors in most DSLRs nowadays have surpassed film in most of the measurable qualities that people like to use to compare these things, with the notable exception of dynamic range (and boy do blown digital highlights look FUGLY).

Purely from an aesthetic perspective though I still prefer the look of grain to noise. There's something beautifully stochastic about it. Digital, with its regimented rectangular arrays, simply can't match up.

If anything I suppose I could see myself replacing at least my 35mm shooting with digital without too much disruption, though I'd want something as small and light as my FE2 and full frame, which I don't think exists yet. From a convenience perspective even now I'd be better off shooting with my F100 but I generally pick up the FE2 instead. You'd have to pry my medium format though from my cold. dead. hands :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Why were you in Clongriffin a few months ago?

at the risk of hijacking DQ's thread, the attraction of film is also down to process. there are different demands placed on you if you're shooting film (slower, fewer shots, drastically reduced ability to adapt to significant changes in light level, etc.), many of which make film more rewarding to use than digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

Ah, I hope there's a little leeway for broadly on topic discussion ;)

Agree with all of the above, and I love shooting film with all of the opportunities/constraints/demands that come with it. I was just wondering whether he was agin' digital, rather than just pro film.

at the risk of hijacking DQ's thread, the attraction of film is also down to process. there are different demands placed on you if you're shooting film (slower, fewer shots, drastically reduced ability to adapt to significant changes in light level, etc.), many of which make film more rewarding to use than digital.

At the risk of agreeing ... I agree ! I've posted concerning that (or at least tangentially related to that) before. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68561053 . Limitations are good sometimes, particularly limitations that you're familiar with. They provide focus, allow you to concentrate on one thing. Whether you're limited by your (fixed) iso, or a fixed focal length, or having to slow down and manually focus. And sometimes, as I say above, "I like the limitations of having a particular film loaded and knowing that there's simply no point in taking a particular shot so I can just savour the moment instead"
    humberklog wrote: »
    Why were you in Clongriffin a few months ago?

*looks up clongriffin on google maps*
    whu ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

the b/w 8x10's above. very narrow depth of field and almost tilt shift like.

I think a reason why I like much of Daire's work is there is usually something of inate interest in there. I also think that in your post you cover a very important point of photography - one which often gets lost. That is, if your purpose is not being contracted to shoot something for someone, then do it for yourself in the first instance, thereafter if anyone likes it fine and dandy, otherwise bore the pants off them at will ;) (ok, I paraphrased)

oh, by the way i'm pretty sure I have the same instagram filters as you - just haven't found the ones that puts the kids in them, oh, and if I have the same filters I obviously don't know how to use them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

One caveat to this is the amount of off the cuff candid shots I used to do which have gradually been replaced more and more by posed shots. Mostly for practical reasons, and the fact that both of them have become annoyingly camera-aware. It's a trend I want to reverse though.

This interests me - what do you mean by practical reasons? Do you prefer candid to posed, and if so, why? Do you think candid images have greater value when it comes to photographs of children?

sineadw wrote: »
    This interests me - what do you mean by practical reasons? Do you prefer candid to posed, and if so, why? Do you think candid images have greater value when it comes to photographs of children?

By "practical" I mean "it's easier and I'm being lazy" plus their annoying habit of mugging whenever they see a camera, or in Lara's case, wanting to take a picture. By herself. Ever see a 2 year old trying to hold a camera as big as her head ? It's hilarious and terrifying all at once.

But yes, I prefer more candid shots. I love the posed ones, and there's certainly a place for them but that makes it all about the photograph. I'd rather just catch them doing stuff, interfere as little as possible, actually document what they're up to, rather than stop them in their tracks to take a shot and then move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I love your 8x10's Daire, fantastic 19th century feel about them. A search on a couple of your previous threads about the process has me hooked, where do I start!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Do you have any Pet Hates? ( he asks with a smirk)

How has Boards influenced your Photography?

dubtom wrote: »
    I love your 8x10's Daire, fantastic 19th century feel about them. A search on a couple of your previous threads about the process has me hooked, where do I start!!

Most of that 'look' comes from using paper negatives instead of film in the camera. Paper has a kind of ortho-like response, completely insensitive to red light, so you get something that resembles the very earliest emulsions.
    The sheer size of the format lends something to it as well, 300mm to cover the frame as a normal lens so DOF is pretty narrow. An 8x10 macro could encompass almost an entire headshot :-)

CabanSail wrote: »
    Do you have any Pet Hates? ( he asks with a smirk)

None really. Nope. None at all. Except maybe HDR. Yes. HDR. Also selective colourisation. And over-processing of any description. People who clone things out of pictures. The notion that it's ok to take the shot, chimp, and if it hasn't worked out the first time, take it again. GET IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME ! Fake selective focus. Pictures of homeless people. HDR pictures of homeless people with fake selective focus applied. 'SHARPNESS' being the sole criteria by which something is judged. Oooo it's really sharp. AARGH. Shots that conform to the rule of thirds. Shots that IGNORE the rule of thirds. Fake vignettes. Pictures of pets. Pictures of pets with fake vignettes in which the pet is placed on one of the thirds. Pictures of FAKE pets. Pictures with that amazon yoke and by extension any other doll/figure/toy intended to be the main subject in the picture (sorry Mele !). The word 'LENSE'. Film snobs. People who give out about film snobs. The weird idea that anyone who shoots film is a film snob. People who shoot film. Anyone who DOESN'T shoot film. Pictures of peoples kids, but not my own kids. Hypocrisy. Actually I'll excuse OShead and SquareBalloon from that as well because they take great shots. The word 'Bokeh'. Arguments about what the word 'Bokeh' actually means. Bokeh. Calling 'noise' in a digital shot 'grain'. Blown highlights. Under-use of paragraphs in long tedious lists. Obligatory 'lists of pet hates'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

So Swans are OK then?

So Swans are OK then?

That was more a stream of consciousness than an exhaustive list :D

Besides, I like swans. Especially with some selective focus ...

1757246460_a848b553ea.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

lovely work and an interesting read, silly question (its late ..) but do others do the same thing? like [Photographer Profile] #2 "name here" ? :)

• Advertisement

lovely work and an interesting read, silly question (its late ..) but do others do the same thing? like [Photographer Profile] #2 "name here" ? :)

In the OP
    Boards Photographer Profile

The idea of these threads is to give some insight as to how some of your fellow photographers operate. Each person invited will write about their photography and provide some examples. This thread will be sticky for about a fortnight (longer if needed) During this time feel free to comment and ask questions. Please allow the subject to answer questions and do not do so on their behalf.

While this process is taking place, the subject will approach the next person to be highlighted. Please keep this secret and do not prompt.

All normal site and forum rules apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

Ah right thanks CabanSail, my memories gone to hell from a head in jury, I'll probably forget again in another 20mins but again great thread. :)

How has Boards influenced your Photography?

I never answered this actually, in part because I thought about it a bit and had to conclude that I didn't know. No very incisive I know. OTOH it was the first time I'd actually hooked up with a bunch of other photographers to any extent. It's also directly responsible for a large bunch of photography twitter followers, conversations with whom do take up quite a significant portion of my online discourse, and some of whom I've even ... met ... in ... real life :eek:

So in short, no. But also yes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

How many millions of lines of code does your software have? You seem very complex- it must have taken quite some time to compile.

On another note, working with film is getting increasingly more expensive. Do you see a time in the near future when film isn't readily manufactured. I know there are other ways and means to take photos but these can be complex and troublesome and perhaps not worth the time and effort required if attempted on a semi-regular basis.

What will you do then?

there has been a mini-boom in film sales of late, afaik. it'll always be a niche interest; look at the recent upturn in sales of vinyl records.

On another note, working with film is getting increasingly more expensive. Do you see a time in the near future when film isn't readily manufactured. I know there are other ways and means to take photos but these can be complex and troublesome and perhaps not worth the time and effort required if attempted on a semi-regular basis.

Not THAT expensive though. I probably spend maybe a couple hundred quid a year or so on film and development and what not. I probably spend considerably less than digi folks spend on wet cleaning or lightroom licenses or obsessively upgrading their digital bodies when digital rot makes their formerly fine cameras start to produce substandard images because they're only 16mp or taken at only 15 FPS or whatever...

But to address the second bit, and MB's comment ...
    there has been a mini-boom in film sales of late, afaik. it'll always be a niche interest; look at the recent upturn in sales of vinyl records.

I think it's actually beginning to stabilise a bit. Ilford is turning a tidy profit from its B&W film sales, and so long as Kodak and (to a lesser extent) Fuji are still producing motion picture film it's not going anywhere. I don't know how Kodak's recent decision to divest itself of the consumer film branch will affect that though (typically a lot of the innovations in kodak's consumer film over the last few years came directly from the motion picture branch).

And if it all goes away ? I have no problem shooting digital :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 siobh123

Absolutely love the image of the child lying on the grass laughing. We all need a bit of that outlook :)

Advertisement