Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FXCM - stock trading

• 02-07-2012 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

does any one has account with these guys?
    what is your experience?
    do you suggest these guys?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Yes i`m with them, very good no complaints. I like the fact that they don't charge an exchange rate for trading with different currencies on other exchanges. My only grip is the software in Irleand/UK is still Odlmarkets (The company they bought out)
    Easy to fund through a credit card or Bank wire usualy 1 day for funds to appear. The minute you sell stock the funds are available to you to trade again which I found great for moving my portfolio sideways :rolleyes:.
    I`d never go near any of the Irish offerings again, they screw you in so many ways such as the spread, the fees, transaction delays, hard to fund, poor customer service fees for different currencies :eek: Its hard enough to run your own portfolio with out having to feed those Conjobs

Edit
    I forgot to mention that they also run there own funds which are doing pretty darn good.
    Also the telephone trade service is excellent too, I got to buy Horn petrolium less than a month ago, the ask was $88c on the screen, $89c quoted with other brokers. I rang through to FXCM and got straight through to a trader who offered to me for $85c which I took there and then; brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭AP_MAN

thanks Grecco, already opened account, my first trade will be USOP with them.. hope everything goes well..
    Grecco wrote: »
    Yes i`m with them, very good no complaints. I like the fact that they don't charge an exchange rate for trading with different currencies on other exchanges. My only grip is the software in Irleand/UK is still Odlmarkets (The company they bought out)
    Easy to fund through a credit card or Bank wire usualy 1 day for funds to appear. The minute you sell stock the funds are available to you to trade again which I found great for moving my portfolio sideways :rolleyes:.
    I`d never go near any of the Irish offerings again, they screw you in so many ways such as the spread, the fees, transaction delays, hard to fund, poor customer service fees for different currencies :eek: Its hard enough to run your own portfolio with out having to feed those Conjobs

Edit
    I forgot to mention that they also run there own funds which are doing pretty darn good.
    Also the telephone trade service is excellent too, I got to buy Horn petrolium less than a month ago, the ask was $88c on the screen, $89c quoted with other brokers. I rang through to FXCM and got straight through to a trader who offered to me for $85c which I took there and then; brilliant

AP_MAN did you get to trade USOIL ? What is the ticker for them, just out of interest more than anything to keep an eye on, personally I think its a bit late to buy in now

no I could not trade USOP, they do not do.

last night when I was chatting with the guy told me they do and asked to contact over phone to do the trade, but when I called today, they said they do not do USOP..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

I dont trade with them for stocks but do for forex.

Hows their commissions on stock trading ?

• Advertisement

UK Equities - £12.50 Per Trade Under £2,000 and £25.00 Per Trade Over £2,000

Canadian Equities - CAD 40 per trade

€40 per for all european stocks
    I dont trade with them for stocks but do for forex.

Hows their commissions on stock trading ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

AP_MAN wrote: »
    UK Equities - £12.50 Per Trade Under £2,000 and £25.00 Per Trade Over £2,000

Canadian Equities - CAD 40 per trade

€40 per for all european stocks

Thats rubish, chnge to anther broker 40 per trade is too much.

I thought it was $9 per trade ?

Thats rubish, chnge to anther broker 40 per trade is too much.

I thought it was $9 per trade ?

http://docs.fxcorporate.com/charges_and_fees_fxcms.pdf

I think you need to compare like with like, $9 per trade usually means a low value trade, you`ll find its the same with all brokers some of them offer trades for as low as a couple of bucks but again its for the small trades.
    I guarantee that FXCM are cheaper than any of the Irish shower out there plus they offer far better customer service too.

(This is the latest I could find, as far as I know the Canadian trades are now $20 Canadian not $40 as listed;)

Greeco

I am day trading HRN since last week, they are charging CAD 40 per trade but the flatform and customer service more efficient and superior than any Irish traders I know...
    http://docs.fxcorporate.com/charges_and_fees_fxcms.pdf

I think you need to compare like with like, $9 per trade usually means a low value trade, you`ll find its the same with all brokers some of them offer trades for as low as a couple of bucks but again its for the small trades.
    I guarantee that FXCM are cheaper than any of the Irish shower out there plus they offer far better customer service too.

(This is the latest I could find, as far as I know the Canadian trades are now $20 Canadian not $40 as listed;)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭mrshopkeeper

Yes i`m with them, very good no complaints. I like the fact that they don't charge an exchange rate for trading with different currencies on other exchanges. My only grip is the software in

Thanks for this. Could you advise how this is achieved. Are non-euro trades made using euro deposits as a sort of 'collateral', or do you convert from the euro deposit to the non-euro currency prior to executing a trade?

I have traded in non-euro stocks but it has not been without cost for me. Have not discussed with FXCM customer services as of yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

Thanks for this. Could you advise how this is achieved. Are non-euro trades made using euro deposits as a sort of 'collateral', or do you convert from the euro deposit to the non-euro currency prior to executing a trade?

I have traded in non-euro stocks but it has not been without cost for me. Have not discussed with FXCM customer services as of yet.

If you buy a non euro denominated stock then you need to request them to convert your euro's and they charge for that.. cant remember what it was.. something like 1.5% which is substantial.

Does any one get this notification from FXCM ? Any ideas?

Dear Trader,

Exciting news abounds! FXCM Securities Limited (FXCM) is in the process of developing a new state-of-the-art trading platform that we intend to launch in the fourth quarter of this year.

HOW DOES THIS AFFECT YOU?
    This new platform will have many advanced features, be highly customizable and will provide access to multiple markets and products all on one set of margin and with one login. We plan to start migrating clients on to the new platform in November of this year and, once all of our clients have access to the new platform, we will shut down the MyBroker platform.

The new platform is designed for active traders. Therefore, FXCM is preparing to support its more active client population by instituting a minimum trade requirement of three (3) trades per calendar month, per account, across all exchange trading platforms. Accounts that do not meet the minimum trade requirement in any given month will be charged a £25 inactivity fee for that month. The new trading requirement and fee structure will become effective on 1 October 2012. The first inactivity fee will be charged on 1 November 2012 regarding October's trading activity.

FXCM Corporate Structure Changing
    Alongside our announcement of the new trading platform, we are very excited to inform you that the wider FXCM Group is preparing for a corporate reorganisation whereby FXCM's business, including your account, will move to our sister company and FSA authorised firm, Forex Capital Markets Limited. The proposed intra-group reorganisation will allow the wider FXCM Group to capitalise on the greater operational efficiencies while delivering the same exceptional service to our stakeholders. We will be contacting you shortly with more details on the transfer.

We hope you share our excitement in today's news!

However, we understand that the new platform and trade minimum may not be an ideal fit for every client. You have several options should you prefer not to take advantage of this new offering. You can:

Transfer your account, positions and holdings to a new broker You may do so by completing a Transfer Form and e-mailing it to us at transfers@fxcm.com. FXCM will be waiving the typical fee of £20 per position for transfer requests to other brokerages received by FXCM on or before 1 December 2012.

If you would like an alternative provider to consider, Barclays Stockbrokers® is the UK's largest broker with over £11bn in client assets. We have spoken with Barclays Stockbrokers® and they welcome the opportunity to support any FXCM client that would like to transfer their account in light of our new trading minimums.*

You may open an account online with Barclays Stockbrokers® by clicking here. When the account is open, you can request your positions to be transferred by completing the above transfer form and e-mailing it to us at transfers@fxcm.com.
    Closing open positions and selling all holdings in your account You may do so through FXCM's current trading platforms or by calling our trading desk at +44 (0)20 7903 6150. All fees and commissions for online or phone dealing can be found on our rate card. After settlement of your trades, you can then withdraw all funds by completing the Withdrawal Form and e-mailing it to us at service@fxcm.com.
    Closing all positions and requesting a return of your holdings..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I'm with FXCM, and there is one thing I don't understand. When I buy stocks in other currencies, they don't automatically convert the cash you have in your account with them to the other currency. In fact they never said anything to me until I wrote them an e-mail asking why they are charging me interest. Anyway they told me I had to actually ask them to convert the money I had transferred - I would have thought this was a given if I decided to buy stocks in other currencies. Or do I have to send them an e-mail everytime I buy a stock in another currency asking them to convert the money I have in my account with them?

Anyway they sent me this:

There is no commission rate as such, We do however widen the spot rate

The amount that spot is widened is all dependant on how much you are converting.

I'm not familiar with currency trading, so I'm a confused about what means - is it something I need to be wary about? I would be converting 2 or 3 thousand euro at most. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

Dear Trader,

Exciting news abounds! FXCM Securities Limited (FXCM) is in the process of developing a new state-of-the-art trading platform that we intend to launch in the fourth quarter of this year.

This new platform will have many advanced features, be highly customizable and will provide access to multiple markets and products all on one set of margin and with one login. We plan to start migrating clients on to the new platform in November of this year and, once all of our clients have access to the new platform, we will shut down the MyBroker platform.

The new platform is designed for active traders. Therefore, FXCM is preparing to support its more active client population by instituting a minimum trade requirement of three (3) trades per calendar month, per account, across all exchange trading platforms. Accounts that do not meet the minimum trade requirement in any given month will be charged a £25 inactivity fee for that month. The new trading requirement and fee structure will become effective on 1 October 2012. The first inactivity fee will be charged on 1 November 2012 regarding October's trading activity.

Alongside our announcement of the new trading platform, we are very excited to inform you that the wider FXCM Group is preparing for a corporate reorganisation whereby FXCM's business, including your account, will move to our sister company and FSA authorised firm, Forex Capital Markets Limited. The proposed intra-group reorganisation will allow the wider FXCM Group to capitalise on the greater operational efficiencies while delivering the same exceptional service to our stakeholders. We will be contacting you shortly with more details on the transfer.

However, we understand that the new platform and trade minimum may not be an ideal fit for every client. You have several options should you prefer not to take advantage of this new offering. You can:

Transfer your account, positions and holdings to a new broker You may do so by completing a Transfer Form and e-mailing it to us at transfers@fxcm.com. FXCM will be waiving the typical fee of £20 per position for transfer requests to other brokerages received by FXCM on or before 1 December 2012.

If you would like an alternative provider to consider, Barclays Stockbrokers® is the UK's largest broker with over £11bn in client assets. We have spoken with Barclays Stockbrokers® and they welcome the opportunity to support any FXCM client that would like to transfer their account in light of our new trading minimums.*

You may open an account online with Barclays Stockbrokers® by clicking here. When the account is open, you can request your positions to be transferred by completing the above transfer form and e-mailing it to us at transfers@fxcm.com.
    Closing open positions and selling all holdings in your account You may do so through FXCM's current trading platforms or by calling our trading desk at +44 (0)20 7903 6150. All fees and commissions for online or phone dealing can be found on our rate card. After settlement of your trades, you can then withdraw all funds by completing the Withdrawal Form and e-mailing it to us at service@fxcm.com.

that sucks.
    I wouldnt do 3 trades a month.
    Who is the best broker to transfer to, that doesnt charge for inactivity?

I'm with FXCM,

Anyway they sent me this:

There is no commission rate as such, We do however widen the spot rate

The amount that spot is widened is all dependant on how much you are converting.

I'm not familiar with currency trading, so I'm a confused about what means - is it something I need to be wary about? I would be converting 2 or 3 thousand euro at most. Thanks.

Not especially familiar with currency trading either but would be interested in how the FXCM conversion rates would compare with those applied by the Credit Card companies when depositing in e.g US Dollars.

I have previously traded on NASDAQ by depositing Dollar amounts from my Mastercard. They exercise a similar arrangement as outlined above whereby no 'commission' as such is charged, but again the margin is built into the conversion rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

I'm with them too and will be opening an account elsewhere due to the implementation of the inactivity fees.
    Any recommendations on another online broker?

does any one trade with www.iii.co.uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Finelli

Dear Trader,

Anyone else get this notification?

I've an account with thewm but did not get this notification - I can't find anything on their website about this either - I'll contact them to see what the story is .........

Don't think I got notified but when the issue was highlighted on this thread, like yourself, I checked for notification on website. Didn't find it, but did find a description of the impending 'inactivity fee' under the Fees and Charges section.

Am considering a move to td waterhouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemort

does any one trade with www.iii.co.uk?

iii.co.uk wont allow you trade from ROI

well that was a year ago when i checked with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I have been with FXCM/ODL for about 6 years now, I have been happy with their service, however, I just saw that they are charging an inactivity fee, so I am moving my portfolio to TDdirectinvesting.ie , they have no inactivity fee as long as you have over 5k in holdings. I also have a trading account with Firstrade.com, I keep my main holdings there, but they do not give me interest on my cash, so I am hoping to move my dollars into TD and keep them in a dollar account where thay actually pay interest.
    If I were trading a lot I would have all my portfolio with Firstrade and they are open to international investors now, they were only accepting US residents last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 chamac

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy shares online.
    I tried Sharewatch but they want 20K initial deposit....

tdwaterhouse

• Registered Users Posts: 32 chamac

Thanks Pat for that. Looks like a good alternative.
    They do have a €15 per quarter charge for inactivity. I would not be trading regularly at the moment. What is the best way to trade occasionally?
    I want to buy and hold.
    Charlie

Has anyone traded with Zecco.com?

Far as I can see they don't have an inactivity fee.

TD only have an inactivity fee if you hold less than 5k in holdings or cash.....I buy and hold and think they are my best option....
    chamac wrote: »
    Thanks Pat for that. Looks like a good alternative.
    They do have a €15 per quarter charge for inactivity. I would not be trading regularly at the moment. What is the best way to trade occasionally?
    I want to buy and hold.
    Charlie

Not especially familiar with currency trading either but would be interested in how the FXCM conversion rates would compare with those applied by the Credit Card companies when depositing in e.g US Dollars.

I have previously traded on NASDAQ by depositing Dollar amounts from my Mastercard. They exercise a similar arrangement as outlined above whereby no 'commission' as such is charged, but again the margin is built into the conversion rate.

Just completed a currency conversion on FXCM. Exchange rate was close to spot price and it was very straightforward process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Jason1984 wrote: »
    Has anyone traded with Zecco.com?

Far as I can see they don't have an inactivity fee.

Yes there's no inactivity fee, easy to set up, easy to use, very reliable, $4.95 per trade.

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Yes there's no inactivity fee, easy to set up, easy to use, very reliable, $4.95 per trade.

Have you been using them long? I assume it's just the US markets they trade?

• Advertisement

Have you been using them long? I assume it's just the US markets they trade?

4/5 years?
    Yea its just the US markets, but of course you can trade the ADR's of all the big European companies as well.

4/5 years?
    Yea its just the US markets, but of course you can trade the ADR's of all the big European companies as well.

Do they have any account maintenance fees or other annual charge that can't avoided?

Do they have any account maintenance fees or other annual charge that can't avoided?

No maintenance/annual charges whatsoever (other than the $4.95 per trade charge), used to be totally free when it was first set up.

No maintenance/annual charges whatsoever (other than the $4.95 per trade charge), used to be totally free when it was first set up.
    Thanks! That seems like the way to go so!

Just got an email regarding the changing T&Cs with FXCM. While others appear to have gotten the notification some time back, I received no notice until now. Wording appears similar regarding the change but the email I received indicates a transfer fee will be charged unless I go to their nominated broker (see below)

You may do so by completing a Transfer Form and e-mailing it to us at transfers@fxcm.com. Regular transfer fees will apply.

If you would like an alternative provider to consider, Saxo Capital Markets UK Ltd (SCML) is available. FXCM and Sharewatch have spoken with SCML and they welcome the opportunity to support any client affiliated with Sharewatch that would like to transfer their account in light of our new trading minimums.* FXCM will waive the typical fee of £20 per position for transfer requests to SCML, received by FXCM on or before 1 December 2012.

Really vexed about this as I have gone through all the hoops re setup with TD waterhouse and just sent Transfer request yesterday. I wonder have I any recourse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Does Saxo Capital that they suggest have inactivity fees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

as far as I can see, SAXO have no inactivity fee, but of course that could change in 10 mins time or sooner!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I just got an e-mail last night saying they are switching to a new trading platform with minimum three trades per month, designed for active traders. What a load of b*****.

I'll be taking up their offer of switching to a new broker. Pain in the ass having to go through all the address confirmation and so on, again.

I just got an e-mail last night saying they are switching to a new trading platform with minimum three trades per month, designed for active traders. What a load of b*****.

I'll be taking up their offer of switching to a new broker. Pain in the ass having to go through all the address confirmation and so on, again.

I'm extremely pi**ed! Only got email yesterday evening at 6pm. Monday bank holiday so 2 days to switch. How are you able to avoid the £25 for the first month. Jdwaterhouse says it will take up to 10 days to register with postage and all.

I applied online last night for Saxo but they declined my application due to my criteria, probably my lack of trading experience. Was able to send it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭seamusmcspud

From my understanding you need a min of $5,000us for a trade and that also eliminates me straight away.... any other 'free inactivity' share trading options out there???
    Can't believe they only gave us till the 1st of Nov to do this!!!

Saxo is also a joke...... anybody have anything to say about 'the share centre'... their rates look good or (better at least £2.50 per quarter)

• Advertisement

From my understanding you need a min of $5,000us for a trade and that also eliminates me straight away.... any other 'free inactivity' share trading options out there???
    Can't believe they only gave us till the 1st of Nov to do this!!!

What do you mean by this. If I just wanted to keep the shares I have for roughly 12 months and sell them, I need to have $5000 in my account?

Was thinking it will be better just to get my share cert sent to me until I can find a better alternative!

Has anybody figured out how/why some traders seem to have gotten notice of this change in T&C a number of weeks ago (eg see post #13 on this thread) while most of us seem to only have been notified on the Fri evening of a bank holiday weekend?

Has anybody figured out how/why some traders seem to have gotten notice of this change in T&C a number of weeks ago (eg see post #13 on this thread) while most of us seem to only have been notified on the Fri evening of a bank holiday weekend?

I've emailed them telling them it was a disgrace to get a few days notice especially on a bank holiday weekend also. Asked them if it was possible to get some leeway to get sorted

AntiRip wrote: »
    What do you mean by this. If I just wanted to keep the shares I have for roughly 12 months and sell them, I need to have $5000 in my account?

Was thinking it will be better just to get my share cert sent to me until I can find a better alternative!

Sorry 'bout that, i meant that there is a minimum limit of $5k per trade, so for example a trade of €2,000 would be too small!!!

Sorry 'bout that, i meant that there is a minimum limit of $5k per trade, so for example a trade of €2,000 would be too small!!!

I have 15000 shares worth e9000. Won't be trading at all, just selling my 15000 next year when the company is bought out hopefully. Would I be charged inactivity fees for this I wonder?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm getting a bit worried and panicky right now. Out of interest, would it be safe enough taking the offer of a free transfer to SAXO in the short term view while we figure out where best to move share holdings in the long term?

I'm getting a bit worried and panicky right now. Out of interest, would it be safe enough taking the offer of a free transfer to SAXO in the short term view while we figure out where best to move share holdings in the long term?

I'm the exact same as yourself. Panicking all weekend over it. The fact Monday is a bank holiday and I'm away Tues and Wed making it so much worse. I also emailed FXCM last week about an unrelated matter and they didn't bother their holes replying making me very worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭oconnot5

Seamus, is this minimum limit of 5000 for transfers or purchase/ sale? With who FXCM, SAXO or TD waterhouse?
    This is very very odd that some got the email in September and the rest of us 2 /3 days ago. with basically no notice Did anyone see the big difference in the two emails (the one posted on page 1 of this forum and the one from Friday). In the first they were waiving fees for transfers to all new accounts, in the second (Fridays') only to Saxo. This is a joke. I need to transfer a little over 5000 to another account. Any recommendations, its split between two shares.
    Will there likely be a transfer fee to the receiving online broker too? Being in Aus now makes it even more complicated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ugh, I'm getting a headache here.

Honestly, I have very little shares. I have 400€ worth of shares in two groups. I chose Sharewatch since it seemed the most simply and new-user friendly.

SAXOs website has me confused. Is there minimum trading fees? What's the charges for trading? Don't want to transfer if what little money I'd make in the very long run would simply be eaten up by fees. Someone please tell me who is best to transfer the shares too :(

On the upside, it does say the first inactivity fee will relate to November trading and won't be taken out till 1st Dec, so that means we have a month to switch, doesn't it?

On the upside, it does say the first inactivity fee will relate to November trading and won't be taken out till 1st Dec, so that means we have a month to switch, doesn't it?

Don't think so. The way I see it, if you still have your shares in sharewatch/FXCM from next Thursday you will either be hit with the £25 or maybe £25 divided by the number of days in the month. Either way the fees will be mounting up from next Thursday onwards

• Advertisement
Advertisement