Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rainbowtrout's reading log 2012

• 02-01-2012 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭

This is year four of my reading log, time flies:

2009: 12 books
    2010: 17 books
    2011: 15 books
    2012: ????

Off to a good start, read one book yesterday and one book today. This is likely to change when I go back to work & college next week.

Still on the crime novels for the moment.

1. Hide and Seek - Ian Rankin
    2. Tooth and Nail - Ian Rankin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Just finished another book.

3. Stolen Souls - Stuart Neville.

I got this for Christmas and thought it was good. He has written a couple of other books so I will probably get them and read them at some stage over the next few months.

4. Alex's Adventures in Numberland - Alex Bellos.

I suppose the easiest way to describe it would be a history of maths, written in a similar way to Bill Bryson's 'A Short History of Nearly Everything'

4. Child 44 - Tom Rob Smith

Well worth a read, will probably get the next one in the series.

6. The Redbreast - Jo Nesbo.

7. Strip Jack - Ian Rankin

• Advertisement

8. A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes) - Arthur Conan Doyle

9. The Black Book - Ian Rankin

10. Mortal Causes - Ian Rankin

11. The Valley of the Squinting Windows - Brinsley MacNamara

A phrase I have often heard at home, and have used myself so decided to read the book.

12. Let it bleed - Ian Rankin

Continuing the Rebus series. Don't have many left so will probably finish them before moving onto something else. Just noticed I've read as many books so far this year as I did for the whole of 2009 which is good.

• Advertisement

13. Black and Blue - Ian Rankin

Been snowed under with work, not getting much reading done lately.

14. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Twelve short stories, so nice to read one before bedtime. Read them about 20 years ago so had forgotten a lot of them. Good to read again.

15. The Sign of the Four (Sherlock Holmes) - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

16. The Hound of the Baskervilles - Arthur Conan Doyle

17. The Valley of Fear - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Equalling the same number of books I read for the whole of 2010!!! And there's still 6 months left in this year!

18. Fifty shades of grey
    19. Fifty shades darker
    20. Fifty shades freed By E.L. James

I don't normally say much about the books I read here but I'll make an exception this time. I hadnt planned or buying or reading these books, wouldn't be my usual fare but then a friend gave them to me unexpectedly so I felt i should give them a go after the kind gesture.

... I will never get those hours of my life back again. Poorly written rubbish. Sounds like something a teenager would write. I knew absolutely nothing about the books before I was given them except that they contained sex. Even that couldn't redeem them. Really woeful stuff. Looked them up online and have since learned that the story evolved from Twilight fan fiction. Have never read any twilight stuff but it's not encouraging me to do so either.

So I got back to normal

21. The memoirs of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

22. The Devil's Star - Jo Nesbo
    23. The Redeemer - Jo Nesbo

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Read the first one of the Grey books, like Twilight series but S and M instead of vampire, truly awful stuff.

Read the first one of the Grey books, like Twilight series but S and M instead of vampire, truly awful stuff.

have no idea why so many people think that a controlling, abusive, manipulative man is what a woman would hope to find when looking for a romantic relationship. :confused:

24. The Snowman - Jo Nesbo

• Advertisement

25. The Leopard - Jo Nesbo

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

have no idea why so many people think that a controlling, abusive, manipulative man is what a woman would hope to find when looking for a romantic relationship. :confused:

I found that to be a most interesting observation. Our daughter's "romance novels" pile seem to be full of pop-ups, these days. Quite gross. Could it be due to the seemingly hopeless economy, or maybe the publishers' directives having some sort of commonality?

I found that to be a most interesting observation. Our daughter's "romance novels" pile seem to be full of pop-ups, these days. Quite gross. Could it be due to the seemingly hopeless economy, or maybe the publishers' directives having some sort of commonality?

I don't know. 50 Shades came about as Twilight fan fiction... so there is a link there, but the fact that she had to self publish does suggest that the regular publishers did think it was rubbish in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

I don't know. 50 Shades came about as Twilight fan fiction... so there is a link there, but the fact that she had to self publish does suggest that the regular publishers did think it was rubbish in the first place.

Twilight? Nobody smiled in that movie series (not that I watched any of them . . . I mean . . . I just saw partial scenes as I passed by the family room, muttering things like: "how come everyone is so sad and pale.")

I looked up the wiki entry, which explained the storyline . . . pretty hairy . . . as well as the background and marketing.

I had no idea the 50 Shades series was about a guy named Grey. I had the impression it was a middle aged "dying to get back to your roots" book, judging by the way everyone has been talking about it in such a blasé fashion.

Processing . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

The quality of the writing in the Twilight books is truly awful but Meyer says it herself she is not a writer but a storyteller.

I like the books, but then I am a fan of vampire fiction, but it more than that; I enjoyed all the blatant robbing & modern viewpoint of the classic literature. I thought it was also an interesting retelling of the Christ story.

I haven't faced the 50 Shades yet & not sure I will either...

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    The quality of the writing in the Twilight books is truly awful but Meyer says it herself she is not a writer but a storyteller.

I like the books, but then I am a fan of vampire fiction, but it more than that; I enjoyed all the blatant robbing & modern viewpoint of the classic literature. I thought it was also an interesting retelling of the Christ story.

I haven't faced the 50 Shades yet & not sure I will either...

Haven't read any Twilight stuff. The vampire thing wouldn't hold an awful lot of interest for me.

I would hope that it is better written than 50 shades. Actually I'd assume it is as it was published and 50 shades was derived from it and self published.

26. The Returnof Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

27. The Bat - Jo Nesbo

I've read a lot of crime fiction this year. Time for a change perhaps.

28. Sherlock Holmes : His Last Bow - Arthur Conan Doyle

28. Phantom - Jo Nesbo

• Advertisement

28 books has been the best log for the last few years. Hope to have even more time to read in 2013

Advertisement